1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

another woman elected leader of moslem country

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by God's Son, Dec 30, 2008.

Tags:
  1. God's Son

God's Son Member

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Have there ever been women elected officials in Muslim countries that are not South Asian?

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

How many woman have been president in America? :D

Not that a dutchmen should talk, we never had an elected Woman Prime minister (but we do have a queen).

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

congrats on monarchy!! how very progressive!! ;) (i'm kidding!!!)

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

We have a half black president elect! After this, I thought the Euros would finally shut up about how morally superior they were!

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

arno_ed's objection aside, this is interesting. Why do we have multiple elections of women to high office in South Asian Muslim countries when it is unheard of in Arab Muslim countries and in most Christian countries?

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sheikh Hasina -> oldest daughter of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, first president of Bangladesh

Benazir Bhutto -> oldest daughter of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, former president and prime minister of Pakistan

Indira Gandhi -> daughter of Jawaharlal Nehru, longest serving prime minister of India

Do you see a patern developing?

8. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

George W Bush, Son of George H Bush, Former President.

Hilary Clinton -> Wife of Bill Clinton, former President.
    Caroline Kennedy - > Daugher of John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Former President.

do you see the pattern of incompetence?

American women still get to hold important positions in our government because of their family name but don't get to sit in the Oval Office just yet. However, clowns like Dick Cheney and Joe Bidden can be chosen as successors but the mention of a goofy Sarah Palin scares Americans ****less.

So we can have male morons as President and Vice-President but a female must be only of the highest qualification and super-genius to acquire the worthiness of being elected President.

9. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

All 3 of them were assassinated for promoting peace in Pakistan and saying publicly that Osama Bin Laden was murdered? Or was it just Benazir Bhutto?

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

To be fair, Hasina beat another woman in the election who was the former prime minister of Bangladesh. Women actually have had a pretty strong hold on politics there.

Your other two examples are correct though.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Okay, what about Sirimavo Bandaranaike (Sri Lanka), Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunge (Sri Lanka), Aung San Suu Kyi (Myanmar, elected but not seated), or Khaleda Zia (Bangladesh)?

(http://womenshistory.about.com/od/rulers20th/a/women_heads.htm :p )

Even if it is a primogeniture sort of thing, why does South Asia apply it to daughters and the rest of the world does not?

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sirimavo Bandaranaike -> Wife of a previous assassinated Sri Lankan prime minister, Solomon Bandaranaike

Chandrika Kumaratunga -> Daughter of assassinated Prime Minister Solomon Bandaranaike and the previously mentioned Sirimavo Bandaranaike.

Aung San Suu Kyi -> Daughter of General Aung San, "the father of modern-day Burma".

Khaleda Zia -> Widow of assassinated President of Bangladesh Ziaur Rahman.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

they've killed all the man

J/K, not funny

edit: anyone who watched the Sopranos remembers that the beautiful mob boss in Italy, that's what she said when Tony asked her how she became a boss

14. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

You don't get to gloat about it if you didn't vote for him.

I came here to say "boobies".

/Muslim boobies are still boobies.

15. shastarocket

I was thinking that it is more a testament to how successful the democratic system is in South Asia rather than the Middle East. Society is a big factor too; Saudi Arabia still won't let its women drive let alone go out in public w/o a close male relative. Sounds like the Saudi govt. is in denial that their teenage daughter is growing up!

16. eckostylez

eckostylez Member

That's cause women are bad drivers.

[​IMG]

17. shastarocket

^
    Hey if he just gave her half this would have never happened!

18. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

:D I actually want to get rid of our monarchy :D, It cost us to much money, and it is useless.

Wow, I never mentioned that Europeans were superior. Do you have a inferiority complex? I only made a comical comment, because shastarocket said that Middle eastern countries never had a women elected official. On top of that Did you vote for Obama? No you didn't, so don't gloat over it.

I believe that the supression of woman is not nessesarily a Mulsim thing, but more a cultural thing. I have been a couple of times in South east asia. And i never had the feeling Woman were supressed there.

19. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Well the mayor of Ramallah in the West Bank is one of my dad's cousins. She's the first women to hold a major post in Palestine, IIRC.

20. Ari

Ari Member

Palestinian women have always been a powerful voice in the Palestinian struggle, so I am not surprised that there are some women in powerful positions there. I know that the most active advocates of Palestine in the U.S. are Palestinian women.

As to the overall trend of Muslim women only being elected in south asian Muslim countries, I think it speaks more to support the thesis that it is not necessarily a 'Muslim' thing but rather a 'middle eastern' or an 'Arab' thing. If I am not mistaken, Arab culture and tradition is much more macho and testosterone-driven than most cultures in the world. As someone who is half Latino, I know that some Hispanic cultures also suffer from this over chauvinistic male-dominated culture. The problem though it seems is that Arab cultural values are starting to creep a little bit through the mask of Islamic extremism into Asian cultures. I think part of this might be that some non-Arab muslims still think that Arabic Islam is more 'pure' and better than Asian Islam. Of course there is a variation among Arabs and Asians as well, but it seems to me like that is a common misconception by non-Arab muslims.