1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Obamas don't bother to attend church on Christmas and make excuses as to why not

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Dec 26, 2008.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/nation/6181933.html

Secluded Obamas miss out on religious services
    Aide says new first family didn't want need for security to intrude on public

By JOHN MCCORMICK Chicago Tribune
    Dec. 25, 2008, 11:22PM

HONOLULU — Barack Obama has long stressed the importance of religion in his life.

But as his fellow Christians around the world attended Christmas services on Wednesday and Thursday, the president-elect and his family remained sequestered at their vacation compound on the windward coast of Oahu.

His lack of attendance at formal religious services was obvious and showcased a dilemma faced by Obama, who is between churches and often also expresses concern about bringing the disruption of his security detail into the lives of others.

Still, he has not attended a public church service since before being elected, a departure from the actions of his two immediate predecessors.

"The president-elect didn't want to disrupt a church community on Christmas with the burdens that come with a presidential visit," Obama spokesman Ben LaBolt said Thursday.

To seek church in D.C.
    Aides said the Obama family celebrated Christmas Day by opening presents at their vacation rental compound in Kailua. Dinner included turkey and ham.

Earlier this week, Obama did visit a church when he attended a private memorial service for his grandmother, who died less than two days before the election at the age of 86. The service for Madelyn Dunham was held at the First Unitarian Church, a congregation here that made national news in 1969 when it offered sanctuary to dissident servicemen protesting the Vietnam War.

In a Chicago Tribune interview this month, Obama said his family plans to find a home church in Washington, although no selection has yet been made.

"We frankly haven't thought about it yet because right now we're just trying to make sure that we don't lose anything in the move, including our children," he said.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

BHO only attends church on Festivus :eek:

3. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

OH MY GOD!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. monkinamr2

monkinamr2 Contributing Member

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ..."

He could switch to Islam for all I care. He's the next president so deal with it.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Finally, a secular humanist Presidency.

It's like I've been frozen for a hundred years and suddenly awaken in a rational world; one of those disruptive leaps of social evolution like the founding of the first modern democracy 230 years ago. About time.

Obama is going to be the best President evar!

6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Poll: Obama is man Americans admire most
    By Susan Page, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — A month before his inauguration, Americans choose Barack Obama as the man they admire most in the world, according to a new USA TODAY/Gallup Poll. It's the first time a president-elect has topped the annual survey in more than a half-century.

President Bush falls to a distant second after seven years as the most-admired man.

Hillary Rodham Clinton leads the list of most-admired woman, a spot she's held for 13 of the past 16 years — as first lady, then New York senator and now Obama's designate for secretary of State. A newcomer is second: Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, who wasn't well-known nationally until Republican presidential candidate John McCain chose her as his running mate in August.

The findings, a snapshot of public opinion at the end of a tumultuous year, reflect soaring expectations for an incoming president who will take over daunting economic challenges on Jan. 20.

"Things are down so much at the end of 2008 and the end of Bush's administration … and Obama represents a new beginning and some hope and anticipation that things can get better," says James McPherson, a Pulitzer Prize-winning historian and editor of 'To the Best of My Ability:' The American Presidents.

That could be a "two-edged sword," McPherson adds. "High hopes are bound to be disappointed in some degree," he says, "but it also gives him a honeymoon period which is one of real opportunity for him to try to get things done because he'll have a lot of support and a lot of good will."

One-third of Americans call Obama their first or second choice for most-admired man. The only higher support for a man in the history of the survey was Bush's 39% rating in 2001, months after the 9/11 attacks on New York and Washington.

The survey of 1,008 adults, taken by landline and cellphone Dec. 12-14, has an error margin of +/—3 percentage points.

Among women, Michelle Obama is rated fifth, following talk-show host Oprah Winfrey at third and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice at fourth.

Among men, McCain is ranked third and three others tie for fourth: Pope Benedict XVI, the Rev. Billy Graham and former president Bill Clinton.

Obama's rise is matched by Bush's decline. The president's support has ebbed nearly every year since 2001, falling to 5% this year.

That matches the presidential low point reached by Harry Truman in 1952. Dwight Eisenhower scored first that year, the only other time a president-elect has led the list since Gallup began asking the question in 1948.

Find this article at:
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/2008-12-25-admire-poll_N.htm

7. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Another reason why I love the guy.

He's not jamming his religion down everyone's throat.

8. bigtexxx

lol, so he opened gifts with his family instead of showing up for church. Nice.

I think the reality of it is that Obama found it politically convenient to say that religion is important in his life, but he doesn't bother to show up to church on Christmas - 'nuff said. Just another politician who lies to the public to gain some votes.

9. bigtexxx

Sweet, so he's following closely in W's footsteps

10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

In the spirit of the hoildays, all I'll say to BigTexxx is God forgives you for your judgemental attitude.

brah

11. conquistador#11

:eek: i like how Trader, basso, and big texxx reinforce each other. When one is out, the other continues without skipping a beat. Impressive. Almost, too well executed.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That's the great thing about this country... Freedom OF religion and freedom FROM religion.

I support our Presidents right to exercise both ends of that right... and as a freedom loving American, you should too.

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I take it back, that's not all I'll say

So Texxx, no word at all about Obama visiting with military families and thanking them for thier service on Christmas day?

hum......

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

go away. please. your dude lost and your threads are pathetic. please stop wasting space in here.

15. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Why not just comment in your original post? Or did you forget to log into another account? lol

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i don't think it's very christian to be judging obama's devotion to his religion when you weren't even in his home during christmas. do you think it is a christian way to act?

17. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I heard John McCain went to the noon service instead of showing up at his Aunt Gertrude's for the family boxing day brunch.

CLEARLY, HE HATES HIS FAMILY!

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The reality is no one knows anyones true convictions of faith. The proclamation of faith has been a requirement of the public trust since The Spanish Inquisition. Everyone does it, more loudly or less, but the volume isn't a very good indicator of the truth.

If it were politically possible for a man to stand up and say I don't really know anything substantive about the nature or existence of God, we'd probably get fewer conflicted, self-hating posers elected to office.

19. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

I didn't go to church yesterday, but I do go every Sunday. What's the big deal?

20. Happy Mac

Happy Mac Member

you're obviously a terrible human being.