1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China's Perception of the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pippendagimp, Dec 23, 2008.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I rarely begin a new thread in the GARM, perhaps once every few years. But today I would like to get some feedback from some of our Chinese posters here.

Fast forward - past the offensive foul calls on Yao tonight - all the way to the middle of the fourth quarter. After Yao successfully scored on several possessions, Zydrunas Ilgauskas had no choice but to continuously push/wrestle/shove/jab Yao in the back with BOTH arms/hands/legs. This was done while fighting for inside position, as well as AFTER Yao had already received the ball and was making his offensive move towards the basket.

Yao did not receive a foul call for any of this activity.

This is pretty much the norm (for Yao) night in and night out.

If Yao were to do this to any other player at any point in any game, he would be called for a foul immediately.

So my question for our Chinese friends here is:

After 6 consistent years of this stuff now, what do people in China believe the reason(s) are behind the double standard the league employs in officiating Yao?

2. RoxD

RoxD Member

Wow, China has a unified perception of the NBA.

Tell me, what is the United States' Perception of the NBA?

3. alexunique

alexunique Member

man,This kind of title(China's Perception of the NBA) is just a way to attract people to read it.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I don't live in the United States, but my guess would be that the games are fairly officiated across the board and that the integrity of the game is upheld by the league.

Now I would like to hear if basketball fans and the media in China feel the same way...

5. superweapon-yao

copy and paste the comments from
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6179696.html

(41)
    JeremiahsWorld wrote:
    The refs controlled this game. Hands down. Anyone who watched it knows that. They took Yao out the game with some bs calls.
    Hey NBA, if you wanted a Cleveland vs. LA Finals you should of told us.
    Refs bomb
    12/23/2008 8:51:17 PM
    Recommend: (28) (1) [Report abuse]

(0)
    Zrolando wrote:
    The refs decided this one early ... 2 (maybe 3) bad calls against Yao.
    12/23/2008 8:31:35 PM
    Recommend: (26) (2) [Report abuse]

(2)
    rocketice wrote:
    19 and 10. Hey it was a tough loss, but last year at this time we were 14 and 15. Bad calls, bad turnovers and bad knees lost us this game. But this is not the end.
    Leborn vs Artest. Rematch Feb. 26th 2009. Pay per view. (that is, if you pay to go to the game) We'll get 'em back then.
    12/23/2008 8:50:04 PM
    Recommend: (21) (0) [Report abuse]

(1)
    o_villanueva79 wrote:
    This was not even a fair GAME for 2 reasons 1st! The Rockets have to go play LEFake in Cle. in the 2nd of a back to back and the 4th game in 5 nights (witch they have to do again next week vs NOR and UTH!!!! Thanks NBA!!!!!) And 2nd is that they had two play tonight 5 on 8!!! this is just INSANE that the NBA allows Idiots like LEfake get breathed on and they call a foul and on the other hand Yao gets PUNISHED and nothing! This happens day in day out and WE as Rockets fans could never get use to this BS! Fouls have to be called i dont care if you are the strongest man on earth and nothing hurts you a FOUL is a FOUL!!!!!!! in my mind the Rockets came out with the WIN i dont care that the refs decided it for the Cavs! And as far as T-mac gose please choose your games wiser if you are not 100% please! i would have rather you sit out last nights game to be more fresher! And one more thing before i go and break stuff! Carl Landry please go buy yourself a new Itouch or ill buy you one and put some pissed off music in there so you can look like you care about the game!!!! My hat is off to Rafer and AB (Thank you for being the only ones who cared enough!)
    12/23/2008 8:41:04 PM
    Recommend: (19) (1) [Report abuse]

(0)
    kyoate wrote:
    Dear Santa, i want whatever the Refs are smoking for X Mas.
    The cavs are so over rated, whats Lebron going to when he doesnt get a foul called everytime someone breathes on him? I love the NBA but I hate the officiating. The NBA has the worst officials of any sport by far.
    12/23/2008 8:50:44 PM

6. mercury.phang

mercury.phang Member

7. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

I'd like to ask for the worlds' perception of obese Americans who seek to sue society :cool:

8. tangsanmao

tangsanmao Member

maybe American think it's just a game,but Chinese really treat the game as a war which YAO is in!

9. Hmm

Hmm Member

war feelings..?

10. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

It isn't because Yao's Chinese that he lacks calls; it's because he's a big man.

Wilt and Shaq went through this same deal, because the refs know that if Yao was able to get every call just like Shaq does, the game would be unbalanced.

Stop it with the Chinese angle.

By: A Chinese guy.

11. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

You're a dumbass. There're 38593834 more things the Chinese government and their people care about than whether or not Yao scored 20 points and got to the free throw line fairly.

12. kanariya

kanariya Member

It's not that the fans can't take the lost. It's when the bad officiating like this game really disappoints the basketball fans.

IMO Rockets put up a good fight. Yao was working really hard in the 4th and Ron was trying really really hard on guarding LBJ. They played hard. (well except Tracy there....)

No doubt LBJ is a really talented player. If the officials were doing their job like how they were SUPPOSED to do. The result might be very different.

Like what Yao said. " See you in Houston."

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Shaq went through the same deal but at the same time Shaq gets every call :confused:

Also, Wilt never fouled out of a game. Not even one.

Also, don't be calling people "dumbass" in my thread.

14. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

If Shaq got every call in his prime, he'd have averaged 100 ppg.

Wilt was so dominant they disqualified dunking just because of him.

And you don't own this forum; I'll say dumbass all I want.

15. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

Bottom line: Anyone thinks the NBA discriminates against Yao because he's Chinese is an idiot. What are you reasons for thinking so? I can think of a million reasons they'd want to make the Chinese happy.

16. chineuro

chineuro Member

I feel like it is a SHOW, not a game...

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

And I guess Clutch will ban you when he wants as well

18. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

racism, biggest guy on the floor and stern wants to be a guards league

19. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Bravo! I hate the racism card. Nothing but conspiracy theories.

20. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AZdn2zfpuQU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AZdn2zfpuQU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xOOzY37DctA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xOOzY37DctA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xgOsailxR2I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xgOsailxR2I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>