1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3rd Place Champions

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jet Blast, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

With the Jacksonville loss tonight the Texans have secured third place in the division. This is only the second time in franchise history the Texans did not end up in last place. In 2004 the team finished in third place. Of course, we know what happened the following year. Let's hope a repeat performance doesn't occur next year.

We've been in the basement too long, so I'm glad we gained a spot in the standings. This team is like George Jefferson, because we're Movin' On Up! :cool:

2. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I didnt watch that game, but I checked FF scores periodically. Jax was up by 10 at the start of the 4th, 24-14. The Colts could have been 10-5.
    The AFC South is blowing wide open, assuming the Titans pull a Saints job.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

we've been assuming a titan relapse for several years now; hasn't happened. won 8 in '06; 10 last year; at least 12 this year. they're built for long-term success - strong lines on both sides of the ball; chain-moving rushing attack; opportunistic defense; smart coaching staff... i think 12 wins is probably their peak, but there's no reason to suspect they can't maintain that for a few years.

and i suspect JAX will bounce back next year. injuries, not a lack of talent or bad coaching, did them in this year. keep in mind, the AFC south gets the same schedule the AFC east is currently ripping to shreds next year. JAX will add two last place teams; indianapolis is looking pure vampire-ish....

i think the south will rise again in '09.

4. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Colts are the luckiest team this year

5. MaxwellsTemper

Like Ric said, a lot of people keep expecting the Titans to take a step back.. if anything, they are gaining experience at winning. I think they remain a pretty solid team for at least a couple of years.. they've got a good coach.

6. msn

msn Member

I'm in agreement that the t*** are no fluke. Solid team, solid organization. Truly, beyond Bud, there's not much to hate. But Bud trumps it all. Screw 'em.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I agree on the Titans..

but Ric, the Jags? Injuries definitely hurt them on the defensive side of the ball.. but Jones-Drew has had an up-and-down year, Garrard has been pretty horrible when you compare to what he did the 2nd half of last season and the fact that they were expecting some improvement from him. No guarantees on Matt Jones's future with the team at this point, though he was looking solid (but not great).

They seemed to lack motivation even before that last game with the Texans.. not sure if Del Rio is getting through to them anymore. I don't know, barring a relatively big signing, I'm expecting them to finish under .500 next year as the rest of the division succeeds.

8. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

I think the texans have shown improvements during the 2nd half of the year, but its still too early to tell if those improvements will continue in 2009.

Like everyone has said, the titans are still built for the long haul, i dont expect us to retain haynesworth after this year so it will be interesting to see how the defense is without him. Our QB situation is also unclear and only time will tell.

I expect the AFC south to look similar next year with the titans/colts/texans in the top 3 again but not necessarily in that particular order. the jaguars had an off year, but I expect them to bounce back a little bit next year.

9. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Jax had some key injuries to their O-line this year and that has hurt them. They will bounce back next year.

Indy is on the way down, I think, but not much.

t*** have a strong foundation, but with the other division teams improving they won't be as good.

I think we all here have strong indications that our Texans will be improved going into next year.

Don't be surprised if next year is like last in this division with three playoff teams and no losing record.

Man, sometimes I wish we were in a western division. Then again, where's the pride in that? Texans in the playoffs in '09! ;)

10. conquistador#11

i hope some other team offers a bailout sum to Haynesworth. Take him away and the titans have nothing! Nothing!!!!

11. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

yeah, just 2 other pro bowlers in hope and finnegan.

Jax is in trouble. Taylor could be retiring, and nobody else has really picked up the slack. And the other end doesnt look too good, with a new DC again.
    This is a long way from being divisional champ prospects when the season started.