1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alexander's excuse for not signing deke doesnt add up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FFz, Dec 17, 2008.

Tags:
  1. FFz

FFz Member

I get it... Pro-basketball is all about money in the end. Deke prob won't get les any more money than he'd already get without signing him. Just dont go saying hes not going to sign deke cause deke isn't good enough. If deke isn't good enough for him to spend money on then what the hell was the Brent Barry signing?

2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

link :confused:

edit--saw the other thread.

les is crazy cheap.

#2 Tfor3, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Bravo 5 stars from me.

4. Splash

Splash Member

If it turns out we don't sign Mutombo due to money constraints, I'll look squarely at the Francis signing as the epic failure.

5. foo82

foo82 Member

I don't see why this msg board is so hyped up on deke. As far as the playoffs go, he contributes very little. Sure Deke helps us during the regular season, but if we had signed him in the beginning, I doubt we would be seeing Von Wafer.

6. joesr

joesr Member

Bleh whatever. But are we judging BB based on his injury playing (cant make threes and such??) If so whats your judgement on Tmac....Ron....AB....Shane.... and quite a few others. Mac was playing just as bad as BB missing when he first came back before going back out again. Ron was looking sloppy too.

I really don't think Deke will be a reason our team wins and thats that. If we win I dont see Deke being praised and if we lose i dont see him being bashed so why the crying?

We arent the ones losing money and from hear say money from ticket sales and and such are lower then last years.

7. joesr

joesr Member

But this doenst change my mind on the fact that we do need a Back up Center. If Deke isnt the answer for us I am sure Les n Morey will find one (a answer).

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm not hyped up.Deke has his limitations but we need all the help that we can get. I agree with you that we probably wouldn't be seeing Von Wafer either,but the Rockets have 14 players right now. There is room for Deke. I would prefer a better backup C if management can obtain one by trade but I feel that will be very hard to do.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

As a gm and you know the owners feeling, why is head,francis,barry, and hayes still on the roster? If the gm knew this at 1st, why did he sign barry instead of elson, malik allen, anderson or mbenga? All of whom couldve been signed for less than what barry signed for.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Makes perfect sense. Getting any 7-footer in the league in exchange for Luther or Francis (for example) is the right way to go.

We'd have to cut someone if we sign Deke anyway. Is Deke more valuable to us than, say, Johan Petro? Mohamadou Sene? Any 7 footer in the league who doesn't make much money?

I don't think so. Deke would not play a single minute in the playoffs (IMO) even if we signed him. I'd rather we get someone who can handle 5-10 odd minutes a night, and develop him through the year as Yao's long-term backup.

11. pongd

pongd Member

it would just suck if he went to another title contending team like boston and makes an impact defensively much like james posey and gets a ring with them. i mean id be happy for him and all but id rather him win a ring with us. i think he could still be a factor in the playoffs...its all about matchups

12. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I don't see much difference with Mutumbo. Sure he gets the occasional block and is a very good defender, but our team is still a top 5 defense without him. He's a good player to have, but Chuck is a very solid replacement. Furthermore, Deke's appearance on the team will not change Yao's minutes in any way. Yao is even playing less minutes this season.

13. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Say it with me people: Size, Size, Size

The Rockets have no players over 6'9" other than Yao. The only team in the NBA I think with this "honor."

There is no backup C the Rockets can realistically acquire that is as good at rebounding or shot-blocking as Deke, which is what Houston needs. Sean Williams is one name, but while he may provide more offense, he is still relatively unproven.

Also, a legit backup C can help limit Yao's mins, which is important since he can be fragile. This is a no brainer even with luxury tax factored in. Mutombo should've been signed a long time ago. Les needs to stop being cheap and sign Deke asap especially to protect his most valuable investment, Yao.

14. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Sean Williams sucks big time. He is in the dog house on the Nets. He is Stromile Swift type of player, very dumb, and with even less bulk to defend the post.

We need size definitely. Deke would be very cheap to sign (not considering luxury tax), cheaper than any half-decent big because of his tenure in the league.

15. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Yao's averaging 4 minutes less this year than last. Maybe a legit backup center is needed with size. But Deke isn't the answer, at least to Adalmen, so there's no use signing someone that Adalmen probably won't play.

16. worzel gummidge

There are 22 teams with lower team salaries than the Rockets.

17. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I think sucks big time might be a bit strong or too early to tell. He's definitely shown that he's a good shot blocker and finisher. He really doesn't have a polished offensive game and I don't know too much about his defensive abilities, but you make a good point, he does lack bulk I think he's an okay rebounder. He could be a project that could turn into a long term solution. I noticed that he was riding the bench or inactive. You know why he's in the doghouse? Since he's a hometown guy and I was thinking about realistic options (he can be had for Head straight up), but if he's as bad as you say then I would pass. I guess Deke is the only viable alternative.

Not maybe, the Rockets need a legit backup C with size. The last couple of years should have taught everybody - Les, the GM, the rest of the front office, the coach, and us fans - that Deke can play. Everybody thought that he was washed up and he proved all the doubters wrong not once, but twice. For 10-15 mpg he can be real effective. He's still a better rebounder and shot blockers than most players in the NBA.

18. Avicenna76

Avicenna76 Member

NBA Finals 2009 Celtics up 3-2 vs Rockets. Game 6 in Houston, 2nd overtime Celtics 110 Rockets 109. With 5.5 seconds on the clock, TMac driving to rack only to be blocked by Mutombo. Mutombo secured the loose ball while knocking both Yao and Artest down with his left and right elbows. Houston lost the championship at home after sweeping the Jazz 4-0 in WCF. Mutombo walk away into retirement with his last fingerwagging in front Les, Morey and the Rockets bench.
    [​IMG]

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.boston.com/sports/basket...18/rivers_confirms_teams_interest_in_mutombo/

Rivers confirms team's interest in Mutombo
    Celtics coach Doc Rivers disagrees with a first-half call. (Tami Chappell /Reuters)
    By Frank Dell'Apa and Marc J. Spears
    Globe Staff / December 18, 2008
    Email|Print|Single Page|Yahoo! Buzz|ShareThis Text size – +
    ATLANTA - Coach Doc Rivers confirmed yesterday the Celtics were interested in free agent center Dikembe Mutombo.

Discuss
    COMMENTS (0)
    But he predicted Mutombo would return to Houston.

Asked if he had talked with Mutombo, Rivers replied, "Always. He's a good friend. He's going to come back. I talked to him last week - he will come back.

"We're over the [salary] cap so it's tough for us to do a lot of stuff, but we're looking at everybody."

Yesterday, Mutombo attended a United Nations presentation of a Ben Affleck-directed film about refugees in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mutombo's home country.

"I told [Affleck] that I might play in his hometown," Mutombo said in a telephone interview. "He said, 'Come, we'd love to have you.' He's a really nice guy."

Mutombo said he plans to sign with a team after Christmas.

"My agent, David Falk, has talked to the Celtics," he said. "I'm also getting interest from other teams to contribute on [the floor] and on the bench as a mentor."

20. lifei

lifei Member

lining sign mutombo,everything is just fine