1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ESPN Daily Dime Poll] Best center - Yao or Dwight?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Splash, Dec 17, 2008.

1. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

That's true!

IMO, watching DH is fun. But what I really want in the NBA is someone who actually could create their own shots and carry the team to win. It's not unfair to say I'll choose Yao over DH.

Anyone who complained watching Yao is no fun, please check the video below (at least, I had fun)

Yao's falling down(The game from SunsVsRockets)

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Maybe I wasn't clear or sounded like I'm bashing. I think it takes more for yao to be successful than howard. From style of play to entry passes to rebounds. If as a gm u want to be flexible. You can add a lot of different pieces with a howard led team vs yao. That's not a bad thing, but a thing. You ever heard people complain about howard not getting the ball on the blks? Know why? He gives a better target and has a larger catch range. If the ball is high or wide, he still can go get it. If he doesn't catch the ball in a good position, he avgs 5 offensive rebs a game. He can run the floor and score, postup and score and get offensive rebs to score. I know yao puts pressure on the defense when gets the ball in his spot, but howard does also because he initiates contact a draw fouls. I will say yao's defensive presence can't be measured in blks, but I can also say when players go to the rim , they're looking out for howard.

In the end, both are good players and contribute to their teams. At the end of the yr at their current pace, howard will be 1st team all nba and yao 2nd team.

3. MD_in_Training

Yes, because they'll be looking AT Yao, but looking OUT for Howard. When players drive to the hole, a 7,6 roadblock is easy to spot and target, but Howard's 6,11 frame kind of blends into the other bodies in the paint.

And the NBA teams mean nothing. I don't know why people make a big deal out of them.

4. kkkpopov

kkkpopov Member

wait to see

5. TracyMcGreat

TracyMcGreat Member

1) what defines a true center?
    2)what objective standards could we use in measuring such question?

we need more than stats obviously. stats can only tell us so much.

or if stats should suffice - then end of discussion. howard > ming

but i beg to differ. i still wouldn't care if it came out d12 over yao but we all need some standards we could all agree upon. and end the discussion of this tired topic at least on clutchfans.

cuz one day guys, im going to hear this topic elsewhere, and all i have to do its link those fockers here. and they will be like :eek: these clutchfans dude are super smart. their bball iq is genetically superior to fakers underground and all other sports forum.

6. ibm

ibm Member

this is right on. i've said the similar in other threads.

(an aging) shaq, amare, camby, ben wallace, kaman, howard, bynum, etc. there is always someone at one point of time - that is ahead of yao. ain't that interesting?

if this is only about "made in u.s.a." vs otherwise, then i can understand to certain extent. but on a rockets board, it's just sad sometimes.

7. ibm

ibm Member

some good points from both sides. and i'm not trying to convincing anyone.

my additional 2 cents are as follows, since no one seems to have mentioned them.

#1, in order to be the best, you have to beat the best. i think that's just common sense. in order to be "one of the best", you have to be about even in head-to-head matchups with the other guy(s). in this regard, howard clearly has not surpassed yao.

#2, how come no one has mentioned howard has played his entire career so far in the weaker east? and yao just the opposite? while the east as a whole may have been catching up a little in the last 2-3 years (from somewhere not even close), in general most great bigs are still in the west.

8. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

omg Memet Okur is the best center in the league!

9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

agreed.

10. Mr.Pink

Mr.Pink Member

You would think Mr.Pink would of posted by now.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Their stats being even to each others, Dwight Howard is gonna get the edge every time cuz Howard's style is more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Even if Yao really has more offensive skill than Howard, Yao has to win the stat battle soundly against Howard to be considered the better center. Or have more postseason success.

12. ibm

ibm Member

against okur, a just-returned-from-a-major-surgery yao did not perform as well as we had hoped. but overall, okur did not outplay him. check out the stats and re-watch the vids, please.

13. lastmanstanding

Who wins the head to head b/t CP and DW? Who's the better pg? nuff said. H2H isn't everything.

14. JustWannaChill

LOL, how much more r****ded can a human being get?

They said Yao > Howard based on their 'career' head to head competitions.

You said Okur > Yao based on one playoff series. (And even the truth of it is questionable).

There are smart haters and there are dumb haters. You are definitely a dumb one.

15. JustWannaChill

Now, I thought you would of starting another dumb thread by now...oh wait...I forgot a rookie can't start a thread. By the way, how does it feel to be rookified?

16. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

Let's see

Howard: pts, rebs, blocks, fg %, steals, turnovers

Yao: free throw percentage

I love Yao but there's no arguing Howard is the better center. Let me put it this way he is more than doubling Yao's block average.

17. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

I watch Howard quite a bit. I love his game. I will agree that every GM takes him over Yao in a start a franchise today type of draft scenario. I will say though, I bet the majority of GMs take Yao over Howard though if they had to draft a Center for one playoff run when the game slows and half court offense and free throw shooting becomes more important.

As you pointed out in a later post, Yao's value defensively is not measured in blocks per game. Someone should keep a stat here on how many times Yao changes shots right around the rim that end up missing. He is not a great defender, but he is hardly the giant liability many people claim him to be. I would say Yao is better defensively then most people give him credit for.

As for not effecting games when he is not scoring that isnt true. He sets up a ton of shots for other guys by commanding the double team. Look at the recent GS game in Houston. I think we had over 60 points in the first half and Yao had 6 of them. Plus he was drawing fouls like crazy on their big men, and I think we will all agree he should get a lot more calls then he does.

I will agree that there are too many games like the one in Memphis. But Yao has been very steady lately aside from that game and seems to be getting back to pre injury play.

Also, you pointed out Howard is statistically better then Yao on a bunch of categories. Yao is statistically better then KG in points, rebounds, field goal percentage, free throw percentage and blocks. Does that mean he is definitely better then KG?

Im not saying Yao is leaps and bounds above Howard. I will just absolutely refute that Howard is leaps and bounds above Yao.

18. battousai

battousai Member

You guys gave too much thought into this one. simply put, the same arguement people had made with the all-star votes.

The 6000 plus votes on this were mainly by people who lived in US (not an international one), or at least not as well known or popular as the all-star. If people don't go to ESPN they probably wouldn't even know, and this is more of a heat of the moment poll.

Same thing if people would post a poll on this website, which i bet it would yield a much different result. It's biased.

19. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

Just a thought...would these polls would be more accurate if players and coaches did them instead of fans?

20. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

1. yao still got outplayed by shaq last year...and basically cancelled out by shaq this year. their career head-to-head is not really close. that kinda justifies people who still picked shaq as the #1 2 years ago when yao really started to emerge. yao also got outplayed or cancelled out by kayman or milicic before. there're too many games like that to list here.
    2. doesn't matter where howard plays. even yao plays scrubs in the east, he doesn't put up as dominating stats as howard.

bottom line is it's on yao to perform and make a better case for himself. the last clear cut unanimous #1 center is shaq. shaq crushed everyone he faced. yao hasn't been able to do that. that's why there's always arguments against him being the #1. but he's always in the top 3 in all discussions i've seen. so i don't really understand the outcry for injustice or disrespect for yao from some people here.