1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who was a Rockets fan during the Barkley Era?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Dec 12, 2008.

?

Where you a fan during the Barkley Era?

1. Yes - Houston/Texas area resident

353 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Yes - Non Houston/Texas area resident

115 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. No - Houston/Texas area resident

11 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Non - Non Houston/Texas area resident

50 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Chuck has always been a bit of a knucklehead, but he was an all-time great.

The round mound of rebound.

I think a lot of what he says is purely playing up to the cameras and he's a lot smarter than he appears.

And as much as I hate to say it, a lot of his criticisms of the Rockets have been spot on.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

not hating on barkley but he played here 4 years and only one was really memorable. the next they went 41-41, the next was the pippen year, and then he tore his leg. Barkley was one of the greatest, but he was only really good here for one year.

3. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I loved having Chuck in Houston, and anybody who didn't want him in town got thrown through a plate-glass window. That's as it should be.

4. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

I always hoped Barkley would get a ring before he retired. I always thought he got a bum rap. Hard to believe it now but in his day he was as controversial as Rodman or Artest.

Mostly I liked watching the Rockets win in the post-season because a) I liked Hakeem a lot and b) the Rockets were always going up against somebody I despised (Utah) or disliked (Shaq).

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Barkley showed LOYALTY to the Rockets more than anyone will ever know.
    Think about that, he could have joined the Bulls, Lakers, Utah, etc and get paid more than $1 million.

But he chose to stick it out with us.

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Don't you mean "until Malone ran into Drexler?"

I've been a Rockets fan since they first moved to Houston, with Mike Newlin as my first favorite Rocket.

7. redao

redao Member

who do you guys like more when they are playing for Houston? Barkley or TMAC?

8. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

I can tell you the answer now....no. By that time T-Mac will be 32 and he'll be lucky to sign a MLE deal at the rate his body keep breaking down.

9. BlakeB

BlakeB Member

As much as I like Barkley, T-Mac has long been my favorite player-since his Orlando days even. So yeah...

Anyhow, I remember those days somewhat. I had become a fan during the first championship season when I was like 8 years old, and I kept up with them thru til Scottie Pippen got on the team and was a complete bust. I kind of lost interest in the rockets and basketball in general at that point.

It wasn't until 2004 when I started getting nearly every Rockets game on FSNHouston that I decided to get behind the Rockets again. Since then I've been a pretty die hard fan... but yeah, it really is a shame we couldn't do more when we had Dream, Barkley, and Pippen.

Ah well...

10. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

...said Barkley after signing his contract, "If you can't beat 'em join 'em..."

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Watch how injury free he will be during a contract year.....no "Mini Tmac" breaks.

DD

12. tinman

Supporting Member

That was because Pippen was a fraud. We paid him all that money thinking he can prove himself to be a leader outside MJ's shadow.

Turned out that he'd rather pass it Cuttino Mobley (rookie) in the playoffs when crunch time counted.

13. BlakeB

BlakeB Member

Yeah, he was a total bust for us... but I remember him going on to have a few more good years in Portland.

14. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

My daughter was born during the Phoenix/Rockets series in 1995. Fortunately, my wife's labor was during the morning. But I did watch one of the games sitting on her hospital bed the night before.

I don't live in Houston anymore, but I'm still a Rox fan.

15. Splash

Splash Member

You mean like how Artest is injury free during his contract year? Oh wait, he's not. So now you're suggesting that T-Mac's injuries aren't even legit and he's only taking days off because he can. :rolleyes:

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i enjoyed his tenure. i still remember that shaq-barkley fight haha.

17. DaDakota

Nah, a couple of games is not what I mean, but like 5-10 game mini breaks etc.

I am not suggesting that Tmac's injuries are not legit, the doctors and Rocket's staff already did that, I am just agreeing with them.
    :D

DD

18. tinman

Supporting Member

you mean those good years when Robert Horry kept hitting 3 pointers on him?
    who did he blame this time? Rasheed Wallace?
    post MJ, what did he do?

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/robert_horry/bio.html
    2001-2002:
    hit the game-winning three-pointer with 2.1 seconds left in the Lakers 92-91 series-clinching win in at Portland on 4/28

Post Dream, Horry kept winning and taking game winning shots. Post MJ, Pippen kept deferring and missing shots.

And that Portland team was stacked, steve smith, sabonis, rasheed, damon stadomire

19. Fatty FatBastard

I still recall the total look of dejection he had as he leaned on the wall heading to the locker room when we were eliminated from the playoffs in 97. He knew that was their best chance.

Stupid Drexler.

20. DaDakota

All he had to do was hold the ball and shoot as the shot clock expired...it was a Sage Rosenfel's moment for Drexler.

DD