1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Anymore news I might've missed on Mutumbo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ToyCen428, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Last I heard was like a month ago, someone said he was interviewed in ATL at a Hawks game and said he thinks he'll be back on the Rockets roster in December. Is this right??? Even if he was back, I also heard we would save him for the post season. I was thinking, when we get Tmac back then I'm sure we'll be looking to trade Luther for something for sure... we should go after a backup BIG man that is atleast 7 foot who can spare quality minutes for Yao.

2. shawn786

shawn786 Member

As of right now there is no news on Mnt. Mutombo.

Morey has said he will still be looking at him but it wouldn't be tell later on in the year.

My guess is they will first try to clear some cap space before they bring him in.

3. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I'm thinking he's looking at how the Francis situation plays out. If Francis doesn't work out, then I think Mutumbo will be back. If Francis DOES work out, then we'd have to make a trade to clear up space.

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Keep in mind yall that all the trade talks start next week, since this is when those signed in the summer are eligible for trades.

I think Morey talked about it last week that it will start to heat up... I don't imagine that Deke will be signed until Morey knows for sure what offers he will get on the table for those he's willing to part with.

5. Splash

Splash Member

Where is he anyway? Is he residing in Houston or in his homeland or somewhere else?

6. worzel gummidge

If the Rockets decide to keep Wafer and somehow trade Head for a TE the earliest the Rockets can afford to sign Deke at the vet min (pro-rated) is April 4. That's the last 12 days of regular season.

Otherwise they need to trade away $9M or more for 25% less -$100k for Deke to return earlier.

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I believe he lives in Atlanta

I want him back on the roster today

8. mbiker

mbiker Member

Dikembe Mutombo is 42 years old. His body showed signs of declining last year. I imagine that he is a little slower and a little weaker this year. If he were still good he would have been signed by now. It’s sad, but people have to retire at some point, and I would be surprised if he plays again.

9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Question was asked to Morey during the Rookie Tip Off event.

Morey said that in order to get Deke back, we'd need to make some other moves to facilitate it. Presumably to clear cap space.

...so nothing new.

10. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

I read the same thing in an article not too long ago, think it was the chronicle...

Mr. Alexander,

It's easier said then done, but you normally get what you pay for...ex.Luxury Tax

11. djperm

Let me rephrase that "somethings are worth paying for"... :)

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Trade away 9M to sign someone for vet min? That's just insane :eek:

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Why in the world would fans want Mutombo to come back? The man is really old, no one knows for sure, but he may be in his mid to late forties. If Mutombo is the savior of the Rocket's season we are the most pathetic of all teams. Good grief, let the man go.

14. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Mutombo might be old but his defensive IQ and length is exactly what this team needs, i am sick of scrubs making layups against us when Yao is on the bench.

Plus he is one hell of a cheer leader and seems to bring our players together, oh and he complains to the refs a lot

15. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

meaning rox to go under the luxary tax.
    They have 2 choice.
    1) they trade away a player for TE.
    2) they need to make a 9m trade which someone is willing to take in the difference.

Frankly speaking, other than being 7", what else could mutumbo do and hayes could not? His inability to score as well as non existence on the offensive end could really hurt the team. At the very least, Hayes is a pretty good passer.

His no longer the player he once was, and mutumbo is as good as bench warmer on the 2nd game of back to back. He played his last games of NBA last season.

16. djperm

I'll root for an effective 40 year old player over an ineffective 20 year old player anyday...

"Good grief, let the man go"

yeah let the man go score in our paint...

17. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

fwiw, my coworker, a Rockets fan himself, saw him at Memorial Herman yesterday, talk to him for a bit, genuinely nice as always, but didnt ask him about the FA situation

if anything I see that its a good sign he's here in town, then again, he may have had some commitments for charity work in the area.

18. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Everyone still wants to sex MUTOMBO!

19. djperm

3)Pay the tax for several mil.

He was making $18 Million per year in 2005.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...F936A35753C1A9659C8B63&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

I believe that players are less likely to drive and finish with Deke clogging the paint primarily due to his size, length, quickness, and IQ, similar to the Yao effect, although I think Deke is a better defender than Yao, due to speed and agility and possibly intelligence.

Mutombo hit more than 50% of his shots as a Rocket, his shots are very efficient but he rarely looks for his own shot... 3 years as a Rocket, what you see is what you get...and most recently helping us win 22 in a row and 55 total with homecourt advantage in playoffs...with his play, experience, leadership, guidance, inflaming players and fans....not too shabby...

20. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Guys.....

Mutombo can dunk and shoot decent from the line.... that and his defense makes him better than Hayes by a massive margin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.