1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2008-09

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 10, 2008.

1. worzel gummidge

Memphis are down to the league min of 13 players and have reduced their team salary to $48,982,538 after trading away Crittenton.

Lowry+Darko+Ross ($8,981,101)
    for Alston+Francis+Head+Hayes ($11,264,858)
    =Rockets get under LT by c. $631k

$631k is enough money to sign two vet min players in late February or just one immediately.

Gersson Rosas likes Kyle Lowry
    Darko is the 7 footer everyone bleats for
    Ross's contract might be non-guaranteed

Grizzlies fix their PG problem. Rockets get under LT.

2. jpapi0022

jpapi0022 Member

ok Rookie now who is going to be our pg?????? and another thing is your basically giving up Ron Artest for Vince Carter?? Ron goes hard on both ends of the court when Vince doesnt. I like V.C but this is not a video game

3. pople

pople Member

How about Brad Miller from Sac.? we need a backup center. The Kings are rebuilding and already have a young center in Spencer Hawes. Adelman is familiar with Miller, and Miller knows Adelman's system. How about some combination of Dorsey (to add to their youth movement) and expiring contracts for Miller?

4. Evilkaanevil

Evilkaanevil Rookie

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Doesn't add up with Miller's 11.3 M contract.

6. Evilkaanevil

Evilkaanevil Rookie

7. Evilkaanevil

Evilkaanevil Rookie

Tree way between cavs, celtics, and rockets

lol another onesided trade for the rockets. i know celtics wouldnt do it. cavs would have a both a 7 foot 5 and 7 foot 6 guys. imaginerockets with this roster if it did work though. I can only dream lol

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Seems too much in favor of the Rockets. The Cavs aren't going to give up Mo Williams as long as they are winning IMO. How will Andre Miller and Mo Williams fit on the Rockets at the same time unless you are suggesting to make Williams an undersized 2 guard. Why would the 76'ers want an aging Ben Wallace and give up 2 young players in Young,Speights and their only PG?

9. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

uhh thats not decent for the 76ers or cavs.... thats a stupid trade idea.

10. Evilkaanevil

Evilkaanevil Rookie

11. Evilkaanevil

Evilkaanevil Rookie

williams starts and miller backup, or vice versa. all my trade idea should be obviously one sided trades. :rolleyes:

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The instructions for this thread are pretty simple.....

1) Keep your trade ideas realistic. We all know why the Rockets would want Amare Stoudemire or Jose Calderon ... but try to ask the question "Why does it make sense for the other team?"

13. Possum

Possum Member

I love Ming, I think he is a very good player and a great person. However sometimes I wonder if we would be better off with a more agil bigman.

THink of Paul Gasol in this offense. Its really taylor made for him.

Houston Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: -1.4 ppg, -0.3 rpg, and +1.9 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Pau Gasol
    7-0 PF from Spain (Foreign)
    17.5 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 3.4 apg in 34.7 minutes
    Outgoing Players
    Ming Yao
    7-6 C from China (Foreign)
    18.9 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 1.5 apg in 33.8 minutes

Wonder if LA would do it? They are l=playing so well right now but Yoa is such a cash cow and would really be big in LA.

Hate to say it but I think this would make us a better team.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Tmac/Rafer for Nash/Barbosa

15. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

No way should we trade Tmac at this point. His value has gone way down, and I think we all know he will come back strong. However I would trade Rafer, Francis, and Head for Nash in a heart beat.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you're gonna trade Yao, you gotta get more than just Pau Gasol. Yao Ming in Phil Jackson's offense would be unstoppable. Besides, if they did Gasol for Ming the lakers will have a logjam at c.

I'd say Yao Ming + Scola + Artest for Gasol, Bynum, Ariza + Farmar.

Lakers would probably be even more unstoppable since Kobe + Artest= 0 pts for opposing swingmen. PLus, instead of paying a bazillion players lakers can just focus on their own big 3 in Kobe, Artest and Yao Ming. That's not even counting Odom who'll come off the bench, or Scola who has proven to work well with Yao Ming.

We'd have the lakers twin towers, a penetrating forward to play alongside tmac and Farmar would be Rafer's replacement.

Of course any trade scenario involving Yao Ming would never happen so I just threw logic out the window while making the above trade up ;)

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Marcus Camby: Worth It?

Here I am rattling my brain trying to figure out a feasible way to make Marcus Camby a Rocket. I know I have mentioned his name quite a few times but I really can't think of a more perfect missing piece aside from everybody just getting healthy.

He addresses every single frontcourt need we currently have: size, shot blocking/altering, rebounding, defense, efficiency and leadership. He's a great locker room presence that plays with a ton of heart and always gives 110%. He's the closest thing available to an old school type leader in a league dominated by passionless, boring "stars" like the Kevin Martin's, Michael Redd's and Rashard Lewis's of the world.

His impact on a team like the Rockets could be immeasurable. He's clearly not in the long term plans of the Clippers and considering how he was literally just traded for nothing his value is at an all-time low. The catch? Who wants to pay him his remaining $16M?

Is it worth it for us to explore possibly trading for Camby? He makes $8M exactly this year with only one year remaining after that. Setting aside the core: Yao, T-Mac, Artest, Brooks, Scola, Landry. That leaves us with Head and Stevie's expiring deals at roughly $4.5M to work with and any combination of Rafer, Battier, Barry, Hayes, Dorsey or Wafer.

As you can see, what this basically comes down to is do we want to sacrifice Battier or Rafer to get this done?

I know plenty of you are going to suggest we just resign Deke and he'll provide all the aforementioned qualities I listed, but I really think a comparison like that is apples to oranges. Camby is a guy that played 35 MPG last year and 30+ again this year. You can't have Deke out there for any longer than 15 MPG. Plus, he's nearly 10 years younger and still has plenty of spring left in his legs.

Rafer, Head and Francis gets it done from our end. Are the Clippers interested in a deal like this? Do we even want to do this? Rafer isn't exactly our dream starting PG but we've struggled without him and the general consensus is that Brooks isn't ready. Is this a worthwhile gamble?

What about subbing Battier instead? One glue guy for another. Is this smart considering the durability issues with our wing players?

Any thoughts or comments? I'm mostly just thinking out loud here. When push comes to shove I probably wouldn't pull the trigger on anything. This stinks because this move makes almost too much sense before you factor his salary into the equation. I would literally kill to have him on this team. I just don't know if I could get over seeing Battier or Rafer moved and thereby solving one weakness by creating another.

18. 1individual

1individual Member

You just destroyed the entire Rockets team, something loose in there?

You might as well just say Kobe for T-Mac which doesn't make any sense.

The Lakers want to get rid of Odom badly... how about Battier for Odom?

19. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

i just got this idea when someone mentioned trading for amare.

we cant have amare and yao on the same team. that's the reason why he wants out of phx. he wants to be the main man unlike now where shaq is the primary option. if we let go of yao, we need another big man who can make the outside shot to give amare space down low.

so i thought of working out a 3team trade with phx and utah. i cant access the trade machine from work so hopefully, someone can help to polish this trade:

incoming phx:
    scola + battier + von wafer (from rockets)
    boozer (from utah)

utah:
    barbosa (from phx) + picks
    yao + brooks + head (from rockets)

rockets:
    amare = 15m (from phx)
    okur + korver + price (from utah)

phoenix WILL definitely do this. they get two quality bigs for amare. both boozer and scola can work within the system. they get battier as a perimeter defender + a shooter in wafer. im sure they'd do this in a heartbeat.

rockets MIGHT consider doing this although they lose the chinese market. they get a real low post presence who can explode for 50+ a game. they get a big who can shoot from the outside (okur), a better/bigger shooter than head (korver), and a young pg (price) to replace brooks. we lose battier, but we still have ron.

utah MAY SLIGHTLY consider doing this trade, IF they can trade away Barbosa and Head for a big who can shoot the three like okur. he will probably play PF along with yao. Yao would be like Boozer down low, the shooting big would be to replace okur. They might want to do this because (a) theyre gonna lose Boozer to free agency anyway, (b) they get an amazing acquisition in Brooks. now they could probably try to lure Mihm from the Lakers for Head + phx picks. A better option for utah would be Troy Murphy for harpring + head + phx picks, but im not sure indiana would do that.

20. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

i like odom. we can afford to lose battier if ron's ankles heal up. we lost battier's defense, but we get odom's height and shooting range. he will post the other team's SF like crazy.

lakers would like a perimeter defender like battier since odom's not that a good defender. battier has range but im not sure he's a better scorer than odom.

unfortunately, the salaries wont match. we'd need to let go of 5mil more. we probably would need a third team to make this work.