1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This team needs a killer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 9, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I grow weary of the inconsistent effort put forth by this team, where they can go toe to toe with the heavyweight teams one day and get beaten by the dregs the next.

Lack of a consistent effort and lack of accountability are prevelant on this team.

There is no one on the team holding others accountable for sloppy play, or for not playing hard.....

Where is the fire and brimstone, can't stand to lose leadership that you need to win consistently in anything? Who has it, is there someone on the Rockets that can step up to fill that void.

It is sad when the most consistent effort given is not by your alleged leaders but by the better role players, like Scola, Landry, Hayes and Brooks.......

We need someone to kick some butt......someone to grab Yao by the short hairs when he decides to watch rebounds instead of grabbing them, someone to get in players faces and challenge them when the effort is lacking.....

This team needs someone that hates to lose, can't stand it......is there anyone on the roster that can step up? We need passion....effort....a never say die attitude....

Anyone? Buehler, anyone?

DD

2. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

3. DaDakota

Is there anyone on the Roster capable?

Ron?

Steve?

Who?

How is Sura's back these days?

DD

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Krazee Eyez Killa can do it...

5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

No way. He doesn't come off the books for at least 9 years, he doesn't shoot, he has been known to have serious temper issues, and his defense obviously isn't what it used to be. Although he does cut well.

6. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

What this team needs is a consistent rotation first.

7. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

we aren't full strength...

when and if all our players come back and play to the level they're capable of, then we will be as advertised and only the likes of BOS or LAL will be able to hang.

if they don't come back and play to their respective levels, then well, see ya Rockets...

8. DaDakota

I agree, but the complacency of the players is alarming, where they seem to be just ok with losing while they wait on health.

The Spurs did not do that when Manu and Parker were out they played HARD every night, even though the lost some, at least they went down swining.

The Rockets seem to lack an inner drive to compete.

DD

PS. CCR, that was funny.

9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

10. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

[​IMG]

Natural born leader. Everyone who plays for him has killer instinct.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Shouldn't Ron be our Killer? I'm thinking Ron, Francis or Deke. They seem to be the most vocal ones. I'll take Ron as my killer because he actually plays. Kind of hard for Steve to be that guy if he isn't playing. Who knows, maybe that can be his role on the team. Somewhat of a player coach that motivates our guys.

12. DaDakota

Part of being that competitive leader though is holding everyone accountable.....getting in Tmac and Yao's faces when they are not trying....someone to basically call them out.

This team is good enough, just not tough enough.

DD

13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Big time health issues. Good size, but way too skinny. Locker room cancer too. Terrible attitude.

14. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

JVG use to hold the players accountable. I cant remember, were you for or against him?

Seriously though, Im tired of Adelman just sitting there all the time. I know not every coach needs to yell and scream, but I wish he did it once in awhile. Im often surprised when he even stands up to contest something.

15. DaDakota

Hated him....and he did hold SOME players accountable but not all.....particularly TMac.

I blame the players for not doing the job, but the coach could certainly YANK them to make a point....ala Greg Popovich.

DD

16. Ari

Ari Member

That is a coaching problem more than anything else. RA is too laid back for this bunch, I did not like it when the Rockets let Van Gundy go and I still think it was a mistake now. Players do not always have that killer instinct and the only other option is the coach. You cannot have both a laid back coach and laid back players, it has to be a combination of opposites, like Rudy T with Cassell and Mad Max.

Artest is a tough guy on the court, but he is not and was never a fiery type leader. His MO is that he is psycho and scares the crap out of half the league, not that he commands respect and whips other players into shape.

17. DaDakota

Was Doc Rivers a fiery leader? Phil Jackson? Rudy T?

We need a leader on the floor.....that is where it all happens.

Coaching at the pro level is overated, it is mostly about the players and their will and drive to win.......right now, we don't have that "Never lose" mentality......

To much settling for crappy effort....

DD

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

We've got Alston, and we've got Artest. Those are fiery leaders. Of course, it would be nice if they were "fiery" + "mentally stable".

19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Doc Rivers is a bad example. He had no problem getting his point across when he had to. When you have KG, it limits that obviously. Having Allen and Pierce doesn't hurt either

20. Ari

Ari Member

Yes, Doc Rivers is very fiery, but he did not need to be when they traded for KG and they already had Pierce who was emotional player too.

Phil Jackson is unique because he is the only one of three coaches in the league who command respect, Sloan and Pops are the other two. Phil has 9 rings, he is like 6'10" and he has that commanding presence, and yes he calls out his players on regular basis too. He has his psychobabble going for him, he has a unique approach few others have. Oh, did I mention 9 rings?

And as I said, Rudy T was the emotional coach type, and he had some fiery players on his squad and a silent killer in Hakeem. He was perfect for that group of veterans and fiery young guys on the squad. We do not have that in our players, so the only other solution is a fiery coach who can connect to the players on some level. Adelman has no personality and I strongly doubt he can relate to the players on any deep level beyond being their hired boss.