1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

High-end Chef Knives

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Dec 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I just broke my absolute favorite tool trying to split a T-bone for my two dogs, because I was too lazy to look for my butcher knife in all my boxes.

I'm so depressed. (not really, but still, this was my baby)

So, anyone want to suggest a high-end Chef knife. I've been out of the market for around 6 yrs and those Japenese ones seem to be getting play vs the Germans. I need a 10". Maybe I can get this as a xmas gift if I act now.

>$200 range is fine

2. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Yeah...those Shun knives are awesome.

I have a Wusthof set and I really like them. I've had them for a little over a year, just use the steel on them (can't afford to get them sharpened at the moment) and they are still quite sharp.

3. dumbholly

dumbholly Member

anyone heard of cutco? pretty expensive knives but i've heard good things and it comes with a lifetime warranty

4. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

As I reread your post....were you trying to split the bone itself or a t-bone steak? Because if it's the bone itself....probably shouldn't be using a high end knife to do that either....don't think they were made to do that....

5. heypartner

Oh, I know what I did was very wrong. I treasure my knifes. It's just that most everything I own is still in boxes except for my favorite 6" and 10" chef knives, and paring knife. Where is my butcher knife when I need it. I got lazy. I'm so freaking mad at myself about this. It was easily a $200 knife...wedding present.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/HDSeries.html

[​IMG]

Definitely go japanese. If you are one to be real careful with your knives, I would recommend some carbon steel knives. If you have a problem with the look of the patina, then go with a clad knife like this Hattori.

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

wusthof
    henckels
    global
    shun

cant go wrong with any of those, although the japanese knives seem to be getting a lot of love lately... ive personally never used them, but the wusthof and henckels sets i've used have treated me well.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

cutco all the way

9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Don't know if the knives are are any good. But the holder is entertaining...
    [​IMG]

10. lpbman

lpbman Member

Having cooked for over a decade, I can't see the point in a $200 knife. $30 maybe.... but if you spend 10 seconds sharpening before each usage a cheap knife will work brilliantly. Cheap knives are usually made of softer steel so they are less brittle and conversely don't hold their edge as long... but to each his own.

11. heypartner

I can totally see your point. That's what I feel about most all pots and pans...restaurant supply store stuff is sufficient, albeit not pretty. I'll take my mom's tinned copper stuff, when she is ready to give it to me, but I won't buy it.

that said: i have a knife fetish. the perfect weight, balance, sharpening responsiveness....so sad! I loved this tool.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"Yeah, I bet you wish you had a Nakiri, though." :eek:

13. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

The difference between a cheap knife and a really good knife is immense.

When my ex wife took everything that I owned and I had to get a few things to be able to get around in the kitchen I bought two really good knives. A good chef knife and a good pairing knife. They make all the difference in the world.

14. lpbman

lpbman Member

I disagree... a well balanced, sharp knife functions the same no matter how much it costs. The cost depends on what name is on the knife and how long it holds it's edge, and if you swipe a cheapo across a sharpener before every use- it'll be functionally identical.

15. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

You obviously have never used a high end knife. There is a reason that it is high end. It's like saying that driving a Kia after an oil change is the same as driving a BMW.

16. lpbman

lpbman Member

You would be wrong. I have used Kyocera ceramics, Masanobu, and others over the years... I stand by my statement. The only time I've ever gone back to the expensive blades is when prepping sushi where the weight makes fine control a bit easier.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

HP,

If you really do have a knife fetish, you need to check out knifeforums.com. The have kitchen section where they talk about everything from 25 dollar chan chi kee cleavers to custom knives that cost over $1000. They also have a great for sale section where you can get a really good deals since these guys baby their knives like their own children.

18. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

this is the guy I'll be getting my next knives from, no question:

http://www.kramerknives.com/

They just did a profile of him in the New Yorker, so there's probably going to be a huge wait for a knife from him now. but he did a collaboration with Sur La Table and Shun, the results of which are available now: http://www.surlatable.com/category/id/103112.do

Apparently he's the only master bladesmith that specializes in kitchen cutlery. The test for becoming a master bladesmith is insane:

The first test requires that, starting with only basic raw materials, the student forge a ten-inch blade with three hundred layers of steel which will accomplish four steps: (1) sever, with one swipe, a one-inch thick, loosely hung, hemp rope; (2) chop through a 2x 4-inch board twice; (3) shave the hair on the maker’s arm; and finally, (4) with the blade anchored in a vise, bend the blade to a ninety-degree angle without the blade snapping in two.

and that's only the first step.

19. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

I have a few Hattori and Shun Elite knives and they are much better than decent 30 dollar knives even when equal sharpness.

If you are unfamilar with japanese steel and the differences between it and high priced Euro then do some reading. You may find you prefer Euro stuff. It is different, not just better.

20. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

There are a lot of high end knives that will work. The best advice I can give you is test a bunch out and buy the one that feels the most comfortable in your hand. European knives are a lot different than Japanese knives, but both have plenty of solid candidates.

This is another awesome bladesmith: http://bladegallery.com/

The guy is a neighbor and does some really cool custom knives. He's got a waiting list 5+ years long. Definitely the place for Seattle cooks to go get their knife gear.