1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supreme Court Could look at Obama's Citizenship

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Dec 4, 2008.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

damn my attempt at intimidation failed.

2. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Member

There is nothing private about a birth certificate. The whole point of the document is a PUBLIC statement of birth.

The reason you wouldn't post his SSN is that it could be used to cause injury to him. What injury could he receive from the publication of his birth certificate? This whole thing doesn't make sense.

Just for the record, I support President-elect Obama. I hope this IS a hoax, but asking to see his B.C. is not a unreasonable request.

3. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

What exactly about the current analysis of his Hawaiian certificate of live birth doesn't satisfy you? There are a reason the large handful of suits that have been tossed out in smaller courts and now you would support wasting the time of our Supreme Court?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/birthcertificate.asp

[​IMG]

Its real... lets address the real issues that our country is facing, not some stupid, sour-graped, crybaby, attention-whoring moron with an accusation that is destined to fail.

4. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Member

Thank you for the evidence. Now that you've enlightened me, I feel that the Obama campaign has done all it could legally do to asuage these doubts.

I would still support the Supreme Court actually viewing the actual original document, because the idea that the legitimacy of the presidency is not tangible enough is absurd.

Either way, Presidnet-elect Obama has my support. He is OUR President. I wish him well.

5. Major

Major Member

Did you demand to see Bush's birth certificate? Clinton's? If not, why not? What's different here?

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He provided a certificate of live birth which is valid and legal to prove his citizenship status.

He actually did more than that, because Hawaii validated his birth certificate saying that it shows he was indeed born in Honolulu.

7. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

He's half black half white. Where the hell else could he be born?

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I've not followed this devotedly like a true wing-nut should but...

1. Isn't there a powerful anecdote from his grandmother in Kenya witnessing his birth? I'm not aware of that being vetted or not... it just seems to be out there.... still.

2. There have been inconsistent stories reported about which hospital he was born in. Have any family friends stepped up to validate the Hawaii birth? How about baby photos taken at or by the hospital? or medical records such as 1 week check-ups? or travel records? There has to be more than a birth certificate-- which can't be that hard to falsify.

3. It has been reported that his enrollment in an Indonesian school as a boy when his family moved there required him to renounce his US citizenship in favor of Indonesian citizenship. Has that "fact" been disproved? Would it only have meaning from the perspective of the Indonesian government?

I voted for the man, but I find the excuse-making to not address these issues head-on suspicious.

For myself, I find natural citizenry an antiquated requirement that should be removed.

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Obama could release a photo of the doctor cutting the umbilical cord with an American flag lapel pin on the steps of the Lincoln memorial and it still wouldn't be enough for some of the crazies out there.

He has provided sufficient proof of citizenship, the state of Hawaii has verified it.

The end....

10. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between a certificate of live birth and a birth certificate? I've never heard of the former and they kinda share alot of the same words.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The challenge isn't to the birth ceritificate. Its something different

12. Happy Mac

Happy Mac Member

what is the difference between a powerful anecdote and a normal anecdote? it's so powerful that you're not even 100% sure of its existence!

can a boy "renouncing" his citizenship at that age be considered legal? i renounced my parents many times growing up, yet we're still related.

but you don't find the constant questioning of this man's citizenship suspicious. where were all the questions about mccain, either bush, clinton, reagan, so on and so forth. what i find suspicious is that this is happening when, as another poster put it, "it's a black man with a funny sounding name".

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If the crazies get his presidency overturned by some ridiculousness
    What would be the fallout?

1. 97% of the Black People I know would be uberpissed [not that that matters to those. . uhm . . people] - This would set Race Relations back to maybe even PRE-Civil War Days . .. It would definately be more adversarial situation
    2. It will demonstrate to the rest of the world that either a. America cannot follow its own rules about democracy or b. America is again incompetent
    3. The republicans still will not get the white house or the congress back
    4. Biden becomes president
    5. I would predict economic downturn . . .

What would a Verdict overturn Obama's victory do to the U S

WHY DO THESE PEOPLE HATE AMERICA!!!!

Rocket River
    wait. .they [say] love America. . just hate everything it stands for . . .
    Just spit ballin

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You don't understand rocket river, he went to school in indonesia instead of somewhere in kansas or iowa. he's a secret hating terrorist. its not just about citizenship, he's going to allow the terrorist to win. he's going to take away our guns and when the gov't declares war on the citizens we will be left for dead. he's going to make us communists also. we have to prove that he was born here to prove he loves this country.

15. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

what is there for the Supreme Court to decide?

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Do you know what you need to do to renounce US citizenship?

For an adult:
    (1) Be in a foreign country (check)
    (2) Appear in person before a US consular or diplomatic officer
    (3) Sign an oath of renunciation (if he renounced, where is the document?)
    (4) Have intent to relinquish his US nationality voluntarily

Additionally for children:
    (5) Parents cannot relinquish citizenship on their children's behalf
    (6) Must convince a diplomatic or consular officer that he understands the nature and consequences of renunciation and that he is not acting under undue influence (given how young he'd have been and this is supposedly under influence to enter a school, that seems nigh impossible)

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_776.html

Given all that, I find it highly unlikely that any renunciation he may have made in Indonesia (which itself has not been shown) would have any legal grounds in the eyes of the US Government.

I'd also point out that you can pick up foreign nationalities without surrendering American citizenship. From my marriage, my wife can claim French citizenship without surrendering her American citizenship.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

looks like a pump

feels like a sneaker

what gives?

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Looks like the nuts will be around for awhile. Go to the link for all the text links within the story....

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Kinda sad that people have to put in this much work to debunk something that is obvious BS.

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

In a way it is best for these type of nuts to be preoccupied with something so futile.