1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Devin Harris

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by WhoMikeJames, Nov 30, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tony Parkerish PG.....Cuban made a dumb move.

DD

2. Lovemachine2000

Very apt comparison there. The difference is that Harris is a better pull-up jumpshooter, and Parker is just ungodly finishing around the basket. Would love either on the Rockets roster... :p

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not in the Paul, Williams, and soon to be Rose category. But definitely in the 2nd tier of young PGs that include Tony Parker. And thats it?

4. m0lson

m0lson Member

What are you talking about? he is averaging 6 a night.... also hes only played 13 games this season and has had 6 30+ pt games. how is that not consistent?

5. devin23

devin23 Member

Yeah is kid is really showing the fruition of his potential. Dude can flat out score. Could be in the MVP discussion if he keeps it up and get his team above .500. Even with carter in his team, he's probably going to be their best player at the end of the season.

6. Mr.TripleDouble

Living in New Jersey, I tend to watch many Nets games. And even though I'm not a big fan of Harris, I can admit his game has improved massively since arriving to NJ.

As others have stated, his mid-range jumper and even his three point shot to an extent have both been enhanced over the past year. Add that to his ability to get to the basket at will, and you have a great shoot-first PG. I don't see him averaging 10 APG any time soon, but I think he maintain a steady average around 5-6 assists per game.

If he continues to play at this level, and VC stays healthy, I don't see a reason why this team can't make the playoffs. A lot of people had them being a bottom-tier EC squad, but I believe they've proved a good deal of doubters wrong through the first 16 games of the season.

My one question to anyone that may know is did NJ sign him to an extension when he came to the Nets last season?

Hoopshype has his salary listed only for this year, so if anyone could tell me if he's locked up with the Nets, I'd appreciate it/

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Nets did not sign him to an extension because the Mavs already did before the trade. He's locked up for 4 more years AFTER this season. It's about $9MM/yr and kicked in this year. Breathe easy.

8. Mr.TripleDouble

Hah, thanks A_3PO. In my limited time here, you've always seemed to answer questions very quickly & fully.

Even though I'm not really a fan of NJN, I've enjoyed their games a lot this season. Harris & VC are playing as well as a backcourt of guards can, and their big men (Lopez, Yi, Sean Williams, Ryan Anderson), aren't looking too shabby either.

If they can manage to stay hot with their guard play, that will overshadow their weakness at the SF position where neither Bobby Simmons or Jarvis Hayes will give consistent production.

9. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

awesome, the Suns lose giving me some relief of our loss, how can Alston and AB do like this? this may never come true

10. dividend

dividend Member

Haven't seen him play since he got shipped to NJ. The numbers are impressive, but... does he still FLOP like a fish out of water?

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because it is only 13 games......

You put Rj back on that team and he is back to old 13 and 5 Devin..........

12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

YES, It is painful to watch him........

13. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Your an idiot. Plain and simple.
    Im not even going to explain why, im just going to point this out.

14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Did I upset you?

My statement seemed pretty damn accurate to me.....

"If Richard Jefferson was still in New Jersey, Devin would be back to 13 and 5"
    If that makes me an idiot, well, fine........

Hey atleast I'm housebroken, mannnn......

15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Because you can't explain why, Your like a child that wanders
    in to a movie theatre without any frame of reference.......
    In other word, you are out of your element.

16. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

If you put RJ back into the lineup Harris would not be deferring to RJ. Jefferson would not be the first option on the team. Harris is a more efficient scorer, and the nets staff knows that he is only going to improve. So how would harris go back to 13 and 5? Does RJ cut off his shooting hand or something?

17. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Sorry. but I just did. I think that little analogy of yours is pretty irrelevant now, huh?

18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

First of all, Vince Carter is the number 1 option........
    Secondly
    Why not? He did last year.....

RJ would still get up his 18-20 shots(being a bit selfish himself), a hell of a lot more than Yi, which would take away shots from Devin Harris......

Whether the staff knew or not, Richard would get his shots off. So in a way, your idea of him cutting off his hand is right, maybe a few fingers, perhaps.....
    Hence the trade........
    It is the same reason Tony Parker was going off without Manu earlier this year......

Scoring point guards need the ball, and a good 2 can limit that......

19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Frankly you were just sputtering nonsense without facts or references to back it up......

It was only a few months ago when they played together, and Harris averaged 15 and 5. Go figure........

20. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

VC is option number 1? Is that why over the last 4 games hes averaged 16.25 FGA and Harris has averaged 17.75? is that why VC is 15th in FTA and Harris is 4th?

And what do you mean whether the staff knew or not RJ would get his shots off? RJ does not run the team, the staff does. So dont be ridiculous. If the staff wnts Harris to get more shots, and RJ to get less shots, thats whats going to happen.

Plus, Harris is the PG. The ball starts in his hands and he calls the plays. Essentially, he decides what happens with the rock.

Also the trade was to clear cap room (hence moving jefferson and getting simmons) and to get young talent at the 4 position for them. They are getting ready for the 2010 sweepstakes.

Scoring point guards can easily play off the ball too. If RJ is being double teamed, or even if the defense is focusing on him more, how hard is it for an elite scoring PG to cut to the rim and just finish, or to take an uncontested jumper?

Not very.

Also a few months ago is a long time ago for a young developing PG, Harris is what? 24, 25 years old? Every year he improves. This is not a 30 year old veteran were talking about here mate. Oh and harris averaged 15.4 and 6.5 last year with jefferson on the team, not 15 and 5. So how does a young developing PG get worse numbers in the same situation as last year?