1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is There Any Doubt About Tracy Now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by A_3PO, Nov 29, 2008.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

DING DING DING. now hopefully everyone gets it. when we won the 3 road games by going to yao, there wasn't "motion" offense. it was simply JVG's offense with crisp ball movement. looked great b/c we made shots.

v. the pacers, tried to do the same. missed shots. looked ugly.

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

You are right but we didn't run Adleman's offense this game, there was very little cutting. Tracy Mcgrady is basically a big PG, his best attribute (especially right now while he's injured) is making plays off the dribble. That will never work with the "Adleman offense". Yao Ming's best attribute is scoring from the low post, obviously this clogs the paint and doesn't necessarily help the "adleman offense". Our best two players perform well on iso plays where they can attract doubles and create for others.

Today the ball moved very well (which doesn't happen when Tracy's in the game) but i wouldn't say that's "Adleman's offense".

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Let's hope we get a repeat from last year where Tracy eventually gets with the program. I think it makes it easier for everyone (including Tracy) to get baskets.

Like I said in another thread, Tracy needs to learn from Brandon Roy. Nate McMillan told him after last season ended to work on moving without the ball and scoring from assists instead of always creating his own shot. Part of the reason was to decrease the grind on Roy himself. It's an understatement to say Roy took the matter to heart and now he gets more easy baskets off cutting and picks than ever.

4. ai_111

ai_111 Rookie

hahahahahaha...
    That reminds me of last year. Yao goes out one game and we win that game, then the fans start saying we are better without Yao. Then, we lose one game without him, fans make threads about Yao being the most important player in our team.
    Same thing goes for T-Mac. We lose one without him, everyone says we cant win without him. He is very important for the team. Then, we win one without him, everyone says we are better than him.
    That routine will go on.....
    Hope that one day, everyone will understand that we need BOTH of them and they are BOTH really important for the team.

5. t_mac1

have you seen yao play this season in regards to adelman's offense? have you seen artest stop the ball more than tracy this season?

again, i know you're not a tracy hater, but he's an easy target for all rockets' problems.

adelman admitted we don't run his system fully b/c the starters can't run it fully. we just need better ball movement.

the 2nd unit runs it better b/c they don't have great 1-on-1 players, so they depend more on cuts, curls, movement... to get good shots.

6. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

First, I think a team shouldn't have only one system in terms of offense, because if you only have one, then after other teams get familiar with your system, they can defend you well.
    Second, a team should have a guy that can make his own plays, do not need other people to set him up, especially in clutch times. T-mac is that person on the houston roster.
    Third,, things can change, like the last season, T-mac has proved his ability in the winning streak last year, it's a matter of doing it well or bad.
    Fourth, I don't see what conclusion you are arriving at. So if you proved T-mac does not fit into AD's offense? Then what? Trade him?

7. t_mac1

do you run his offense if you have shaq and kobe? no, that would be stupid.
    do you run his offense if you have iverson and melo? no that would be stupid.

do you run his offense if you have yao and tracy? no that would be stupid. he knows that.

again, we just need better ball movement and we had that on the road trip.

8. Dark_Tower

Dark_Tower Contributing Member

I think that part of the issue is that Tracy either can't move off the ball, or move significantly, doesn't trust his knee enough to move off of the ball. I'm not sure which perspective is the most accurate. Either way, I feel that Tracy would move more if he were healthier. He was moving at the end of last year, so it would seem to serve that save injury, he would have practiced working off the ball, or at least maintained the old rate of moving off ball.

9. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I agree that we need Yao and Tmac to win consistently. However, if Valde, Webber, Doug Chrsitie, Mike Bibby, Bobby Jackson can run this offense, then Tmac and Yao should be abe to run the offesne.

Grown A. Men with a brain should be able to run a offense. With both of them in the game we walk the ball up the court and stall if Tmac and Yao aren't on.

BUT THE BIG KEY TO THIS GAME WAS.... Rafer only took 10 shots and hit 5 of them. 6 assists and only 2 turnovers I think.

I TRULY BELIEVE THAT RAFER IS A KEY TO OUR WINNING. Some please check the stats when Rafer shots more than 50%, we probably win.

10. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

agree, how could 22 win in a role happen? the yao and tmac combination have almost been perfect, for the past few games, example against the Orlando

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agree on points 1-3. The Rockets would be crazy to trade Tracy unless they got something special in return. IMO, doing it during the season is basically giving up on the season. If you wait until the summer, Tracy's huge $21 million expiring salary is too attractive to trade. The Rockets should keep him.

Like it or not, the Rockets are stuck with riding Tracy and Yao this season and next season. These two guys must pull the wagon to the promised land.

12. t_mac1

that really should tell you your basketball IQ is very low. tracy and yao are completely style of players from those guys. yao is not a perimeter oriented big man like webber and divac who can create and be a general of the offense at the high post. tracy is not a guy who can run through picks all day and spot up and shoot like peja, christie, and bibby.

these 2 guys are more fit to run the triangle offense than adelman's motion offense.

hopefully you'll watch more bball and know it. not every player can do the same things; not every player can run the same offense.

so by your logic, if JVG was the coach of the kings, they would run his offense to perfection too? :rolleyes:

13. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

I dont' think any of those Kings players were the individual talents that McGrady and Yao are. You can't (and shouldn't) force a system that doesn't play to the strength of your stars.

I honestly think our offense was fine for the starting 5 with Van Gundy, but the bench offense was terrible, and the offense got stagnated way too often late in games. But Van Gundy's premise was right, feed Yao down low, iso T-Mac on the wing or have him curl off screens for the jumper.

I don't think Adelman should fiddle with the starting offense much. But he could work wonders with our bench production by having them run the system. It really is a different team without McGrady and Yao there.

I'll say it again: Tonight, we played Adelman ball almost at it's finest, but we left Yao behind; and Artest wasn't fully there to begin with.

14. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

Let's trade mcgreedy next year to the Astros.

or we can waive him to free up money an get LeBron. ;)

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tmac makes it all about Tmac........he dominates the ball and is comfortable playing his game....

I believe he should be playing, but let him sit....let the team move on...but I want to hear stories about how HARD HE IS WORKING to rehab and strengthen his knee.

DD

16. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Hopefully the team will play well without him for a few reasons: a) Makes us a stronger and more confident team b) They will finally be running Rick's offense c) They will hopefully develop an identity d) T-Mac will realize that this team can be REALLY good without him and MAYBE just MAYBE motivate him to work harder and come back strong.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its nothing with voicing your opinion and it may not be popular, but that's what the board is about. I disagree with the op's assessment because players win, not systems. They ran the vaunted triangle for 2 yrs and couldn't get higher than a 7th seed. They also ran the triangle after jordan left and made it in the lotto. Adelman has run different systems for dfferent personel.. Portland,Golde state and Sacramento all had different personell. Good coaches mold the offense around the players. The offense ran good tonight with yao and artest out the game because they were making shots. Offense, ball movement and stuff like that happens when guys make shots. The kings would lead the league in assist, but couldn't close out the lakers because peja,webber,and christie couldn't hit shots. Also, they clanked free throws and were generally scared of the lakers. You can write and design all these options and variables, but if guys don't make shots, its doesn't matter. I will say I like how yao is finally shooting that ft line jumper. Its open and he's a very good shooter, so he should take and make that over 50% of the time if its there.

18. JD2010

JD2010 Member

check your email

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It was not just that the players were making shots tonight. It was that they were getting looks that they normally do not get. I saw some wide open 3s that are not there most nights. I saw clean cuts and open layups that are not there most nights.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

They were just playing with more energy. You saw that in their activity on the defensive end as well, with all the deflections they were getting. Can they sustain that level of play for a stretch of games? That's what they did last year during the 22 game winning streak (when they were playing with Tracy McGrady).