1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephon Marbury refuses to play

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tiger0330, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Now that is a good idea. Just start chucking shots and throw the ball away. Mine as well shave some points while you are at it.

2. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

i wouldve played if i was him. just go out there and have fun. jacking half court shots and ball hogging like i was jordan. what does he have to lose?
    he looks bad either way. refusing to play or playing selfishly.

3. plee

plee Member

Problem is that he may not be getting any offers and he's never gonna get another contract like this so I don't fault him for refusing but...

I do agree that refusing to play (no matter the situation though he's been trying to appear to be a team player so far) just about nailed his coffin. He may get a few nibbles but I don't see any team taking him unless it's overseas...

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think he should have gone in, played great and forced the Knicks hand.

DD

5. Asian Sensation

How is this different from his normal play? :D

6. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

touche

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i hope the Staphon Sympathizers are reading that...
    i also hope he never plays another game in the NBA

9. rockets_fanatic

The Knicks should buy out his contract and leave it at that.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Reading what? He is getting back at the Knicks........ He was on best behaviour, in great shape, and Mike Dantoni would not even give him a chance even though he played great in preseason. Now Dantoni all of a sudden whats him to play in a game because they are short handed.....right.....Come on man......

It is not Marbury's fault that they have not dealt him yet..............

The Knicks organization continues to baffle me.............

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. MaxwellsTemper

He isn't playing on a high school or intramural team, he's a professional athlete. He can't boo-hoo because he hasn't played so far this season. It isn't like he hasn't been getting paid. If the coach tells you to go in, you go in. They can't force you to give 100% effort if his feelings are really hurt that badly, but give me a break. He's in the wrong.

And I'm not saying I agree with keeping him on the bench. I don't. I think he can contribute to the team. But regardless, he's a professional athlete that is paid to go in when he's told. He deserves to get suspended without pay.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Completely agree with what you say about the Knicks. But it doesn't absolve Starbury. Maybe both sides deserve each other.

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Reading what? The coach/management basically told him, "Go to hell, we don't need you and if you want to play somewhere you either give us a break on what we owe you (cheaper buyout), or you sit". That's a bogus thing to do to an athlete, especially an older one with limited years left. The Knicks put their nuts on the table early and tried to use all of their leverage....if you want to play somewhere (because you won't play here...again we don't need you and don't plan to use you) then take less money or sit and shut up. Now that they are shorthanded they come asking him for help, and he should oblige because they are paying him? That's bs....

Is sitting out childish? I can see how one could say yes, but I can also see why a professional athlete wouldn't want to play for that coach/organization. In cases like this we too often forget that a signed contract/agreement goes both ways. The Knicks are on the hook for $22M, or whatever sick amount Marbury is owed. HE IS OWED THAT $$$!!!! The team tried to punk him into taking less if he wants to play. They didn't even give him a chance to help the team this season from everything I've read. How can some of you not understand how messed up that is?

It's all a $$ struggle, but I'm not suprised to see tons side with management as usual.