1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Knew this Goes on in Space

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pgabriel, Nov 25, 2008.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I didn't

Officials relieved by urine-to-water results
    Astronauts returning to Earth with quarts of recycled liquid for testing
    By MARK CARREAU
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
    After several days of false starts, new recycling gear aboard the international space station designed to reclaim drinking water from urine turned in an impressive performance on Tuesday.

The turnaround eased concerns among NASA officials that problems encountered during the early activation of the urine processor might slow their efforts to double the size of the crew aboard the orbital outpost in the spring.

"I feel we are right on track," said NASA's Mike Suffredini, the space station program manager. "If you asked me that two or three days ago, I might have given you a different answer."

The 15 nation, NASA-led partnership that operates the station intends to increase its permanent residents from three to six in late May. The shuttle Endeavour delivered a new kitchen, bathroom, two bedrooms and exercise equipment as well as the water recycler to the orbital facility on a flight that lifted off Nov. 14.

Until Tuesday, the operation of the water recovery system was in doubt because of problems with the urine processor, a key subsystem.

After a round of troubleshooting, the recycler was restarted late Monday. It made back-to-back 5-hour test runs, then operated continuously on Tuesday without the power spikes that had shut off the processor earlier.

"This is the new and improved international space station," Mike Fincke, the outpost's commander, declared in one exchange with Mission Control.

Earlier this week, NASA instructed Endeavour's astronauts to remain at the station an extra day to help with the troubleshooting.

The decision paid off. Endeavour will depart on Friday with a half dozen quart-sized samples of water reclaimed from combinations of urine, perspiration and other humidity collected from the station's air supply.

The fluid samples will be tested in NASA laboratories to verify the accuracy of a water treatment analyzer aboard the space station.

The space agency plans at least three months of recovery operations and testing before it declares the water safe enough to drink.

Repair plan being considered
    Meanwhile, Mission Control carried out a three-hour test of the repairs to the station's solar power network carried out by the Endeavour's astronauts. During four outings outside the space station, the astronauts cleaned and lubricated rotational mechanisms that turn the solar panels on opposite end of the station.

During Tuesday's test, the right side panels exhibited none of the vibrations or signs of internal blockage first noted in September 2007. The undamaged left side panels showed a smooth operation, too.

The space agency is preparing a more extensive repair plan. However, if additional testing of the rotational mechanisms shows no further deterioration, repairs may not be necessary, Suffredini said.

Endeavour's astronauts are scheduled to land at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida on Sunday at 12:18 p.m., CST.

The ship will return with Greg Chamitoff, who is ending a six-month tour at the station. Endeavour astronaut Sandra Magnus will take his place until late February.

2. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

I wonder what happens if you masturbate in space? :D

3. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Better wear eye protection. :D

4. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

they probably do that already. i mean how can a guy not masturbate for like months in space with no real human interaction? it's not like the girls they send up there are whores for public service.

i wonder what a boner feels like in space, and all the stuff comes with it. :D

they probably just use condoms up there, and seal it up. something like that. you don't want floating "drops" in the work room.

5. ling ling

ling ling Member

Next step is the cheese burger recover. :( :eek: :eek: :D

6. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Instead of spending millions of dollars trying to turn urine into drinking water, why don't they just spend a few hundred thousand dollars to train people who already drink urine to be astronauts?

Train those 2girls1cup chicks to be astronauts and with the money saved on recycling machines in space, maybe we can spend that cash on stuff that actually matters instead of pee pee slushy machines.

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

six months in a space station drinking my own urine...

no thanks

8. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I literally laughed out loud.

9. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Neighbor: Hey Roy, can you get sick from drinking piss?
    Roy: I think you can.
    Neighbor: Even if its your own?

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Self-facial?

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It makes a laser sound -- pew, pew, pew...

12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Peter La Fleur: [after Patches hits Justin in the face with a wrench] Yeah, uh, Patches... are you sure that this is completely necessary?

Patches O'Houlihan: Necessary? Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine?

Peter La Fleur: Probably not.

Patches O'Houlihan: No, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste.

Peter La Fleur: ...Okay.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7CacL_LLSJU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7CacL_LLSJU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

25 second mark. :D

13. droxford

droxford Member

C'mon - you didn't know that they recycled urine?!??

Seriously, I thought that was common knowledge.

14. lpbman

lpbman Member

Did you have a snow globe as a kid?