1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would we still have ugly uniforms if Yao was not here?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 18, 2008.

?

What would happen?

1. We still have the ugly uniforms if Yao didn't arrive

49 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Les would have changed them cause Rockets fans want him to

58 vote(s)
    42.0%
  3. Les would change the uniforms green if we got an irish superstar

24 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. If we got Yi instead, the uniforms would look like todays

7 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. BQE

BQE Rookie

I agree, if anything the new uni remains true to our history and yes probably because of Yao we decided to go back to the red. That blue stripe on the other hand was just plain fugly...

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what new fans?

I only consider the new fans are the ones who cherish the accomplishments of the Rockets 41+ years of traditions.

Tmac in Orlando =not real Rockets fan
    Duncan>Dream = not real Rockets fan
    Bulls > Rockets = not real Rockets fan

and certainly if you think this is an anti-Yao or Tmac thread, then = clueless and not real Rockets fan

Like I said, go to the other threads, cause this is too complicated for you. I never said the jerseys now are ugly, I just said they exist because Les Alexander's true ambition is to make money at any means necessary

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

That is exactly how I feel. Logo and colors are fine. The shoulder cut is horrible. They are triple wide and because of the stripes that are stitched in, they curl up. The shoulder areas actually extend beyond the average players' shoulders. I like wide cuts but not triple wide with those ridiculous stripes that make our players look like Power Rangers.

And that is what I remember hearing, too. We had an Asian designer create these jerseys. I don't remember the details but it's hard not to think it had to do with Yao.

4. vince100

vince100 Member

get a life and stop creating stupid thread.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

what are you gonna do about it tough newb?

6. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

I think Chinese people need to stop thinking the world revolves around China.

We got the new uniforms because we got a new arena. I don't think Yao had anything to do with it. If the Chinese wanted the Rockets uniform to be green would Les changing the uniforms to green? Come on now.

7. wang69

wang69 Member

the poll choices aren't even mutually exclusive.

8. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

tinman is Chinese?

9. Th3 Drunk Goat

The reason why they changed from the classic red jerseys to the Navy blue ones is because they were the worst is jersey sales. Also a lot of teams changed their uniforms in the 90s and they eventually changed back to a more basic uniform. It has nothing to do with Yao being drafted. Absolutely nothing. I dont think the Rockets uniform will ever stray away from red again.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Dude, media exposure has plenty to do with the uniform sales.
    even more so back then, since the nba wasn't on all the time.

back then we had minimal tv time, we were basically the toronto raptors as far as tv exposure. that's with 2 championships

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

you keep saying this. I don't think it's true. TV time was minimal (relative to today) across the board. The Rockets had at least more than most because of the two championships.

Nevertheless, the reason uniforms sales were down is a different argument. They changed to help increase uniform sales, regardless of the reason(s) sales of existing uniforms were too slow.

12. BrooksBall

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=1043038&postcount=396

ClutchCity.net / Special to the Chronicle
    The Rockets new uniforms.

Red's in fashion again

Web sales put Rockets' sleek new look before public
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

Very simple. Very different. And very, very red.

The design of the Rockets' new uniforms slipped out on the Internet last week before the team could orchestrate its debut. But with two arcs circling the sleeves to match the new "R" logo, the Rockets did not need a catwalk for the red-and-silver look to prove a radical departure from eight seasons of stripes and a much-criticized cartoon rocket.

"I'm very happy with them. I think they're great," Rockets vice president for marketing Tim McDougall said. "We had a couple of goals going in. One was color. Color is the first thing people see and identify when they look at uniforms. We took a lot of care to see what fans identify with. Red was the color people identify when they think of the Rockets. We started with that. The second goal was to have a clean, timeless and unique look to the Rockets' design. I think we've got that."

Other features include a fabric specifically designed for the Rockets' uniforms; a harsh, slashing type font; and the use of the team name, rather than "Houston," on the front of the road uniforms.

The primary goal, McDougall said, was to settle on a design that would "appeal over a long period of time."

"There are different things you can do, some to make people immediately like uniforms but that wear out over time," he said. "We wanted something, a design, to wear for a long time. The most important thing was, `What works best over the long haul?' "

If the Rockets got what they wanted in the new look, they lost the chance of debuting the uniforms when an online sporting goods company posted photographs of the jerseys and began taking orders.

There had been leaks of the designs throughout the summer. However, most were either prototypes for commercial photo shoots -- with thin rather than the widening stripes around the arms -- or images for computer games. Several previous glimpses of the uniforms appeared in violation of signed non-disclosure agreements and were quickly removed from Web sites.

Small sections of the uniforms seen on billboards around Houston, on the Rockets' Web site and on posters distributed by the Chronicle were artistic renditions never intended for wear by the players.

The Rockets are waiting for Reebok to supply a set of uniforms in order to unveil them but tentatively have planned an event for next week to show off team merchandise.

"I guess I could buy a couple and launch it that way," McDougall said. "It's frustrating to some extent. We'd love to have gotten it earlier in the summer. But ... the most important thing is to get it right for the long haul. I'll make that trade-off any day. We'll launch sometime when we get the uniforms in house a little over a week from now."

Last week's online unveiling of the uniforms did not include the shorts.

"The shorts have the same color patterns," McDougall said. "The arcing pattern is repeated on the side of the shorts, but smaller of course, and the logo is on the side of a leg, edged to the front a little bit."

The decision to use the word "Rockets" rather than "Houston" on the road jersey -- a feature hotly debated before it was adopted when the Rockets last revised their uniforms in 1995 -- will help with branding the team.

"We've looked at it," McDougall said. "It's been that way for a while. We will have `Houston' on the warmups as the team comes out. A lot of teams use the city name on the road but not all teams. Some good examples to follow -- the Bulls, Celtics and Lakers, for example -- are three fairly storied franchises and have remained top sellers as players come and go.

"We're very proud of Houston, but at the same time we decided, `Let's keep the team name up front.' We think it's the way to brand the team correctly."

McDougall said much of the delay in designing and producing the uniforms was the byproduct of the fabric he said was specifically designed for the Rockets.

"The problem with red is the fabric always bleeds," McDougall said. "We had issues with that. If we were going with red, we could backtrack to a fabric that was not the ultimate in performance. We took a lot of time to come up with a fabric with the best performance and best appearance with a lot of shine, also non-bleed. From a playability standpoint and appearance standpoint, we created, working with Reebok, a fabric just for this uniform.

"We spent a lot of time on (the font). We really settled on the `R' icon first and wanted a letter font with that. We didn't want something too out there (that was) too tricky. That could wear out on you. We wanted something stylized, too."

The style was largely created by Eiko Ishioka, an Oscar winner for costume design on Bram Stoker's Dracula in 1992. It was then honed by Rockets, Reebok and NBA officials.

"What struck her most about basketball is it's a very vertical sport," McDougall said. "She wanted to capture that with something for athletes that are sleek and strong and (that reflected) the sport's upward motion and used the arcs. With the name of the team, Rockets, it's a ... really good fit."

Now all the Rockets have to do is get a few uniforms of their very own.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2111735 (Chronicle link doesn't work)

-----------------------

Maybe that explains why our current jerseys look more like costumes than basketball uniforms. Go Power Rangers!

13. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Is it blasphemy to say I didn't think the championship jerseys were all that great?

Now the throwback versions of them that the Rockets wore the past couple of seasons were nice. There were subtle differences, but I thought they looked cool.

14. BrooksBall

#94 BrooksBall, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  15. BrooksBall

Here is a picture of Francis wearing a version of the championship jerseys with slightly wider shoulders:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'm still pissed we don't have a uniform that says HOUSTON on it. :eek:

17. tinman

Supporting Member

18. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

HOUStOn ROCKetS

19. Th3 Drunk Goat

lol THIS IS AWESOME!

20. Th3 Drunk Goat

Quake i think could seriously get some money from the rockets on that Registered logo.