1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Going bald

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by London'sBurning, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

If you massage your scalp for 5 minutes every day your hair follicles will be active for a long time. My grandfather did this and he still has most of his hair at age 82.

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I've always heard this but my personal experience offers contradictory evidence. My maternal grandfather had a head full of hear when he died in his mid-80s.

My older brother takes after that man; he shows virtually no sign of hair loss.

My younger brother and I, on the other hand, show significant thinning-- not classic baldness but definite and undeniable thinning.

How did we lose the genetic lottery?

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I just started shaving mine in June, and I still haven't bought myself a pair of clippers. So my dumbasss goes and spends $15 for someone to shave my head every 2 weeks. I REALLY gotta get my own clippers.

4. Christopher

Christopher Member

I was worried I was starting to go bald a few years ago, I'm 28 now.

The men on my Mums side of the family were bald by the time they were in their early 30's so when I saw what I call "The crawl" I thought it was the beginning of the end.

But it stopped, my hairline (Man that sounds grose for some reason) has been the same for a long time now so I think I'm ok.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

over shampooing is not good. It can make your hair dependant on those chemicals. Even if you do shampoo every day, don't go with head and shoulders.

6. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

hey RR, do you or your wife know where i can buy this? i looked for it in the grocery sto' and couldn't find it.

7. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

AG,

Just spoke with the wife. She says you have to order it through your stylist, and she (stylist) has to order it through a distributor, ABCO, if they don't have it on hand.

Maybe all you have to do is start calling and find out which shop has it available.

Btw, I've got my mother's hair (Japanese) but my father's receeding hairline. So my effort is to just stop the receeding part... :D

8. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Ummm, without being completely complex (I'm hoping) Here's the story:

Male Pattern Baldness is carried on the X chromosome, while your mother's father is the closest and easiest explanation, it's not the only one.

Don't forget, women have 2 X chromosomes, so there's 2 Xs to pick from genetically speaking. The one your mother passed down to you might not be the same one that your brother got. You might have gotten an X from your mother's mother's father.

Does this make any sense? It does to me, but maybe I'm a special brand of crazy. ;) Maybe I need a chart.

9. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

I have been using it for a year and to me it has not made a huge difference, but I have gotten uninitiated compliments on how my hair looks thicker now from people that have not seen me in a while. I also use rogaine, but I suck at keeping up with it.

Based on the genetic inheritance pattern it uses, it does not skip a generation. If it did in your family, you just happened to beat the steep odds against you.

#49 Samar, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  10. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

I heard this too. Is this true? Can anyone else corroborate this?

I'm going on 10 days now without showering.

:p

dirtybuthealthyscalpSAGE

11. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I think you can still shower. Just don't use shampoo every time.

12. meggoleggo

In fact, PLEASE go shower. We can smell you through teh interwebz.

13. Samar

Baldness does not just follow your mothers side. It can come from either side of the family. The reason is that the trait is dominant in males and recessive in females. So males just need one copy from either side of the family. Females need 2 copies, one from each side, which is why it is rare in females. Even then, the female hair will only get thinner, they do not get male pattern baldness.

14. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

From what I've heard, hair loss genetics comes from the mother side of the family. If your mom's dad is bald, you'll be bald. It's a common misconception

15. meggoleggo

The emphasis of my point is that MPB is carried on the X chromosome. Men have XY chromosomes - the X coming from the mother, the Y coming from the father - therefore in males, the paternal half of the family has no relevance on the outcome since everything comes down to an irrelevant Y chromosome. It's also the reason that men only need one copy of the gene - because that's all they're given.

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

17. Samar

Seems that you are right, it is X-linked. Last time I seriously looked into this was when I talked to a genetics professor in undergrad. She told me that it was not proven that it was X-linked at the time, so it could easily come from the paternal genes.

Quick search on the wikipedia says that it is confirmed to be on the X chromosome. So either my information was outdated or my genetics teacher was high at the time. So I retract my earlier statement, my apologies.

However, this just shows that my luck is that bad. No one on my mom's side of the family, going back to her dad is bald. Everyone on my dad's side is.

18. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

What's to worry about? Just comb it over.

Gene Keady

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

male pattern baldness is from your mother's father. its one of the few things i remember from 10th grade high school biology, and i'm experiencing personally.

now I don't believe that its the end all be all, meaning you might go bald without that factor, but from my experience, its pretty much a given if your maternal grandfather is bald.

20. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Sorry bro, losing it sucks. I starting losing mine in my late teens, and I'm now 25 and can def see it going. I tried a bunch of stuff, rogain, propecia, etc. I ddint like any of it. couldnt really tell a diff with propecia, and rogain made my head itch like crazy, and made my hair greasy. Just accept it and wait for the day they come up with a pill that will regrow it (my dr seems to think they will have something like that in 10 years or so). all the stuff right now is too expensive for the little it does. enjoy ur hair while u got it!