1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming touch report, for the crybabies.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leebigez, Nov 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. caneks

caneks Rookie

I don't think this indicats much, but I give 5 stars.

2. ibm

ibm Member

agreed. if yao can get his jumper back, adelman will have a much easier job to implement his offense. when either mcgrady or ron posts up, or when brooks penetrates to the hoop, we have one more scoring option without having to have the headache of having all 3 main guys post up at the same time.

3. weidong082004

weidong082004 Member

This guy has lost his heart to T-Mac. :D

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

IBM, I think what this sample says is that a lot of people says yao should get the ball more. What people need to really look at is the scoring chances. When yao gets the ball with single coverage, no hesitation should be taken. He touches the ball a lot in those areas, but don't capitalize. People can look at the boxscore and say, yao didn't get enough shots, but if you watch the game, you will realize that he's getting great chances. Now when he's in the post and have 1ft in the paint and decides to kick it out, well that's on him.He's too big and too skillful to be paasive that close to the hoop. If that's the case, that's a whole another case of worms.

5. pacmania

pacmania Member

I think they were referring to the closing moments of the Spurs game when Tmac dominated the ball inspite of his poor shooting night.

6. jlwee

jlwee Member

I didn't watch last game against the Spurs but it was very obvious thgis game the rockets look for Yao in th epost more than the previous games. The result? A WIN. For the rockets to succeed, The game plan is simple, Yao and T-mac must score 20+ points. Any time you have a backup PG shooting more than 10 times it aint gonna work. 6 rebounds and letting Chandler scored 16 points is inexcusable but it was a good game for yao!

7. jadednaga

jadednaga Member

He's still hurt and recovering. Something is tender.. the fracture point or whatever and Yao's feeling it... First couple games he tested it and after the wear and tear of these last couple of games it's hurting more than ever. :(

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Yeah, they don't understand it though. They think well Yao = high fg% so Yao should get more touches. Well, duh. The center is closest to the goal so he SHOULD always have the highest fg%. He touches the ball on nearly every play, so its on him whether or not he wants to attack from there. It's his call if he thinks the perimeter player has a better shot.

9. yokel0123

yokel0123 Member

seriously, anybody with a reasonable education should know that you can not use today's number to prove or disprove a hypothesis about what happened last night.

it's a ridiculous post.

p.s. stop calling the it a sample. it's not.

10. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

It's amazing to me how few people seem to understand what you just wrote.

11. yamingx

yamingx Member

Please give the definition of scoring position. Sometimes although Yao got the ball when defense is one on one, the position may be not comfortable for his shooting. It may be better for him to pass outside for 3 pointer shooter or get the ball again after moving further inside.

12. jadednaga

jadednaga Member

The man is hurt is something doesn't feel right. Yao's surgeries are serious business and he's playing in pain but hasn't made it public. Nuff said

13. ibm

ibm Member

i agree, and fully. (and thanks for taking the time preaching. :) )

i am guessing 2 things, though. one is that yao is not 100% yet physically (unlike #1 who actually likes to let the media and public know that he's not 100%, and i personally don't like that - from a former athlete's perspective), as you can see him not quite able to move the defending bodies the way he was able to. remember he had something like 28/14 and torched chandler on one foot last year. second thing is obviously adelman's offense, which everyone is still reciting the pages.

just my guess. i will re-assess it around christmas time.

14. ibm

ibm Member

i think it is public knowledge that yao has his shoulder scheduled for a surgery after this season (mcgrady might, too?). the thing we're not sure right now is whether he's 100% physically, after this summer's olympics and rehabs.

15. vince100

vince100 Member

get a life and get a room.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Great post. Why judge with your "heart" when you can actually just...watch the player, and chart his work?

Morey said all medical reports for Yao are clear and he's good to go. Assuming he's 97% there I think it should be all offense or all rebounding/defense for Yao.

If he's gonna be in all the games and running out of gas, then work the ball to him early and work it hard. So what if people know its coming. Get the most use of him when he's fresh. When he leaves the game there's enough other scoring options who can step in. And let him sit. I'd rather play Yao a hard decisive 30 minutes a game than a regular through-the-motions 35-40 minutes a game.

OR he should do what tinman suggested in a thread, focus his energy into being a rebounding and defensive force. And let the offense run through McGrady and everyone else. Yeah its relegating him to being a big stiff, but the Rockets could win with that.

17. choujie

choujie Member

Yao got more touches and Rockets got the win.

Oops, "crybabies" were right.

18. ibm

ibm Member

this can happen in a few (say, 5-8) years. but if it happens right now, it will be disastrous for the rockets. i am very certain of that. we may not even be able to make the playoffs. example - sacto kings of last year.

and yao is not a super defender or rebounder, though he's decent. his strength (if you believe he has some) is in the offense, and in the low post.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If you want assess how efficient our offense was when Yao get touches, take the technicals out the equation.

21 times he received the ball in scoring position. On a per possession basis, league averaged points scored is about 1.05. This is a good barometer for how efficient Yao was with his touches. Better than 1.05 points produced per touch (not just him, but the team overall from his pass outs, etc.) means we did above average with it, and less than 1.05 points produced means we did below average.

So, for all the possessions in which he had those 21 touches (I'll assume there were 21 of them), we should have gotten at least 22 points from them for it to be considered successful according to my criteria above. He scored 19 on his own. How much did the rest of the team score on those possessions?

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

When Yao has the ball inside of 8 feet from the basket -- that's a strength. Otherwise, I'm not sure how helpful Yao really is on the offensive end. He's a lane clogger -- it's not clear to me whether his presence helps more or hurts more (again, when he doesn't have the ball in good scoring position). On the defensive side, he's underrated in protecting the interior.

The conventional wisdom is that Yao is a potent offensive player, but he can be a defensive liability. We may want to rethink that. Recent published analysis based on adjusted +/- models suggest that Yao actually helps the defense more than the offense overall.