1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIGHT: Rafer Alston suspended 2 games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wink2cat, Nov 14, 2008.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Because, their intentions were only to breakup the scuffle.

Nash ran over to Rafer with the intent (although unlikely) of harming him. He was grabbing and tugging at Rafer's jersey and Tracy was trying to push him away. Of course, Nash flopped to the ground like he had taken a hit from a linebacker.

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Play? He hasn't even practiced.

My favorite, telling quote from TMac:

"I don’t set hard screens. I don’t think I set a hard screen in my career."

3. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Hey DD,

Try and control yourself for at least 7 more hours... :D

4. cneptune

cneptune Member

Well, with Rafer being out against the hornets, we shouldn't have to worry about him fighting with Tyson Chandler and Chris Paul.

5. monster

monster Member

I think Barnes should have gotten more time than Rafer, but I don't think the penalties given are too far off where they should be. Let's move forward.

6. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Shaq should have been suspended. I guess it doesn't really matter though since he gets sit so much nowadays anyway.

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Let's see what Brooks can do as a starter. I hope he can handle the pressure of being a starter. Tmac's line about Barnes choosing wisely was priceless. You show em, Tmac!

8. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Shaq and Tmac are high paid players. The league is more interested in their money. ;)

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

They need to make these fines a % rather than a set dollar amount. $25,000 means nothing to McGrady, but to a guy like Von Wafer it would be significant. So why not make it a 1% salary fine or something like that (roughly 200k in McGrady's case)? Star players might actually take notice and this behavior would be deterred.

10. ILoveTheRockets

I just seen pg and skipped that part, was thinking that was the rafer part. Just skimmed over the article.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

agree with that to stars like tmac and shaq 25,35k is nothing

but i think the suspensions were fair. i expected rafer to get 2 games, i thought barnes would get 3 but he got 2 and i didnt think nash would get any but he got 1 as well.

it will be interesting to see how AB does the next 2 games. that game against NO will be tough for him

12. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

Brooks is gonna have a field day on the Spurs and Hornets. I don't think Barry is gonna miss out on this game too, considering it's against his former team da Spurs. Hopefully we'll get to see some Von Wafer for the first time in the season in this game and the next one too! I can't wait for the game :D

13. worzel gummidge

I think he's up to it. As long as he keeps up on the offensive end the D won't matter too much.

Here's a video that features Patrick Mills of the Australian Olympic team against USA. Mills is of similiar size and has similiar skills to Brooks. He plays PG but is also given minutes at SG. In the Olympics he matched up with Chris Paul and Deron Williams successfully.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U5zfDNT4A8Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U5zfDNT4A8Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

[​IMG]

Maybe Mill's play could be an insight into the things to come from Brooks?

14. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

Tmac: "He chose wisely"

LOLOLOL!!!

15. tm1ym11

tm1ym11 Member

Didn't think Rafer would get 2 games, at most was thinking one. But again, wasn't expecting Nash to get a 1 game suspension. That Saturday game against the Hornets, will be AB's time to keep up his great play against CP3...interesting to see how he does.

16. desertfire

desertfire Member

No, this suspension really hurts our chances to win that game (Hornets). Brooks is great off the bench, but he is wild at times. He needs to calm down to play with the first unit, where he is only fourth scoring option.

The bigger problem is that Alston is a better defensive player by far than Brooks. You shouldn't be celebrating his suspension when CP is coming to town. We may win, but it will be harder now.

It shouldn't matter too much regarding the Spurs' game. Rockets should still crush them and since they don't have Parker, Brooks' defense won't be such a liability.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I think the suspensions were pretty fairly assessed. The league absolutely cannot allow this type of behavior so regardless of who started it, you have to have repercussions for the retaliating party as well. Maybe in the future this will discourage somebody from retaliating?

Still in disbelief there are people out there that think T-Mac's screen on Nash was a dirty play. T-Mac is absolutely right, if your teammates don't call out the screen you're going to get popped by anybody. T-Mac stood straight up and wasn't even looking at Nash when it happened. If that's a dirty play I plead insanity.

18. Landlord Landry

'I wipe my ass with $25,000' -Tracy McGrady.

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Actually, Hill played well against Brooks in this summer league. The rockets need more carefull about this game.

20. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

lol i know right, best line ever. i hope this fuels tmac to play as well as he did the other night, but he still took alot of 3s, i want to see him drive more