1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Driving while texting) a No-No!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lady_Di, Nov 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Angkor, I sometimes use smileyticons when texting, but only in extreme situations. It takes a long time to get to the " ) " or " ( " to make a sad face or a happy face, so I just don't do it as often as on a post here that I can do quickly. :eek: ( <- see? )
    Very well said, sir. The last sentence sums it all up. I was beginning to disagree with you about the rest, but you said it well. To defend what I said about the comparison, you didn't say how or why you were doing all that stuff about CDs. Your radio's buttons are large enough so that you can press them without having to look at them. Put your right hand's thumb as support for the radio, then use your index finger to change the station. It's easy. If you need to change CDs in the middle of the road, then just DO NOT put a CD you're not going to like midway to your destination. Nowadays, models like the "XLE" and others have controls on the steering wheel, and some radios even have remote control.

It's so easy but we've all gotten LAZY to think about little things like these. Just DON'T GET DISTRACTED. It takes ONE SECOND to lose ONE LIFE.

Again, you DO NOT EVER need to text while driving. Look at the thread title (but you still argue about it?). End of story.

2. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

I have to admit, I'm a hypocrite when it comes to texting and driving. I hate when I see people do it, but I do it too.

Not so much since I got the iPhone because it's a lot harder to do. If I HAVE to do it, I wait until I hit a red light. I rarely text while I'm driving. I'm really trying not to do it anymore.

But what's worse is those girls that put on makeup and try to drive with their knees.

Which reminds me, New Years of this year, I was with a group of friends and we were heading to Midtown and we see a 4-runner with a group of chicks. All three are putting on makeup and the driver had her mirror pulled down, driving with her knees and putting on makeup. We were right next to them and decided to speed up.

3. no_answer

no_answer Member

When I was younger I ran over my grandparent's neighbor's mailbox while text messaging. Afterwards I felt so bad that I never text messaged again while driving. The neighbor didn't get mad at me though, he said his mailbox got ran over all the time. :D

4. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

what i dislike more than people on cell phones while behind the wheel.

the phrase no-no. it's a double negative.... so you're giving us permission to text and drive? :confused: :D

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I drive and talk. I also text and talk.

I am all for banning these things while driving. Quite the dangerous thing to do. I can do it, but there is no excuse for me to be doing so unless it is an emergency.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i'm guilty of it but i certainly wouldn't mind if it were a ticketable offense. it's dangerous. just one more distraction on the road. i've caught others doing it in front of me and realize how annoying it can be for me.

7. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

2 warrants, no license and I ain't got insurance yet.

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

In California we have a hands-free cell phone law, but no ban on texting. How dumb is that?

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't like texting in any context. I'll just call.

With the recent focus on the dangers of multi-tasking while driving, I realized there are 2 sorts of driving: freeway driving and street driving. I don't know if people doing studies appreciate that it's a lot easier to talk on a cell and drive on a freeway than it is to talk on a cell and go through intersections, make turns, etc. I don't like being on the phone on streets, but the freeway is too easy.

You can't hear?

10. Fatty FatBastard

She mentioned a few months ago that she was deaf.

11. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Quoted for truth

12. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Maybe someone can start up a cell phone etiquette thread. How annoying is it to have someone constantly texting or taking calls when you are hanging out?

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

She prolly found you boring.

14. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

I was talking about when you go out with a couple of you guy friends. It would be annoying if chicks did it too though.

15. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I try to avoid it, but occasionally do it, thinking I can "get in and get out" quickly with little or no distraction... the results are debatable. Honestly, I don't mind it so much, UNTIL you see someone running across four lanes on the freeway while on the phone so they don't miss their exit, or running a red light that they never even saw.

So, a ban? I dunno, I'd hope it's not necessary, I mean, honestly, it can be done and without danger, but it's like a lot of things... you have to legislate to the lowest common denominator to eliminate the potential for some to ruin things for everyone... and even that isn't fool-proof. Freedom is a funny thing... it allows people to do things that are sometimes harmful or dangerous. The bad results of those things should be punished, but I'm not for legislation of everything down to the lowest common denominator. That said, a ban on texting/calling while driving wouldn't upset me.

On a pseudo side bar, I have a friend who can't hear that is NOTORIOUS for signing with her girlfriends in the car, not paying a lick of attention to the road. :eek:

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Yup!

i find myself texting when driving but usually at a stop or something and its only if i am replying back to a text. i never start texting someone if i am driving.

i am guilty of reading emails though when driving, but i dont reply until i get to where i am going

i do none of this stuff on the freeway though unless stuck in traffic

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

do you know the amount of people than can handle driving an automobile with complete focus on the road and no distractions? maybe 15% of the population. add in phones and that number goes to possibly 2% of licensed drivers. that cant be too far off.

the amount of times i've thought what the heck is this person in front of me doing, only to go around him/her look in the window and see the f#$ker looking straight down at his cell phone. unbelievable.

I'd freaking LOVE LOVE LOVE a cell phone talking and texting ban. im talking heavy fines, suspended licenses the whole works. it's probably just as dangerous as alcohol if not worse. I admit to doing both but i'm not an idiot, and if we can get traffic moving by getting rid of these things then i'll be more than happy to wait until i get to my destination to use my phone.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

But you know, like now at this stoplight, I can use my blackberry to post here... and even now that the light's green it's pretty safe for me to just start moving and th

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

*CRASH* We're sorry, the number you tried to text is not in service. Please stop texting and drive again. Thank You.

Before banning cellphones, I'd like to see better enforcement on speeders. Just like texting, you aren't suppose to speed but people do it anyways. Like texting, there is no reason to speed in your car. You can always leave early, take different routes, ect. I propose a law where they can use a device to clock speeders and give them tickets. Kind of like how those cameras on stop lights catch red light runners and stop light rollers. I don't know how possible that would be though.

20. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

What?