1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long till Adelman has a meltdown?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shortfuse3, Nov 10, 2008.

1. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Adelman has been preaching his offense a full year now. the 2nd unit at least runs some semblance of it while the starters look as lost as an eskimo in NYC.

I feel bad for the guy. I don't think he ever envisioned having a team struggle this bad offensively, especially with 3 all-stars. His offense was exceptional in Portland and Sacramento. Now he comes here and it's like going from teaching Advanced Placement students to teaching disabled kids.

He can talk all he wants about the starting unit needing to move the ball better, but I'm just counting the days before he realizes the starting unit won't ever learn how to read and react to defenses or move without the ball.

2. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

He may have to dump it...I mean we did go on a 22 game win streak without his "motion offense".

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Some teams are more than the sum of their parts. That's what we were last year during the our 22-game win streak.

But this team is clearly far, far less than the sum of their parts. A lineup with Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, Ron Artest, and Luis Scola in it should not be this bad offensively.

4. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

That was probably the closest we got to the motion offense actually.

5. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

When he goes back to a last year's play calling system w/ the occasional read and react offense, the team will take off offensively. The team needs to be guided, because they've shown that they won't get it on their own. He won't panic to change it back though, but I wish he would. He needs to call plays to get the players used to moving w/o the ball.

6. ibm

ibm Member

so we all agree something is wrong with the offense but not quite sure what exactly?

someone please preach me.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

whatever was working last year needs to happen. That's all. Throw in Artest to add life to it and we're set.

8. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

Yao doesn't pas the ball very well,He doesn't pass out of double teams,He constantly fumbles passes,He misses dunks and lay ups.

Ron artest doesn't recongnize what the defense is giving him,He dribbles through double and triple teams,He doesn't move without the ball.

Tracy holds on to the ball too long,He allows the defense to lock in on what we are doing,He doesn't move without the ball,He refuses to set screens.

Basically rafer and scola run the offense and the rest of the staring five hold the ball,can't pass the ball,don't set screens,don't move the basketball.

9. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

I think Yao Ming is the major problem.......this team didn't really start getting into the offense until he was out. Scola can play very well in it and so can Landry.

Yao no matter how hard Adelman tries, is and will never be a high post center or a center that can somewhat play in the high post.....even though he was dropping 3's in the Olympics he's never been or showed that kinda consistent range in the NBA.

Yao Ming is and will always be a low post center and with Yao Ming in the low post he's pulling all of the defenders close to the basket which is killing all of the cutting lanes........that's the reason the second unit can run Adelman's offense better. Now don't get me wrong....Tmac isn't much better, but Yao is the major problem. He's the square peg on this team.

10. James23

James23 Member

good point. Therefore, the Rockets management needs to decide either to keep Yao or Adelman. The Rockets will not go anywhere with both.

Many Rockets fans knew hiring Adelman was a mistake because his offense doesn't fit a 7'6" center who plays at the low post.

11. ibm

ibm Member

if this is the case, then we should either let yao go or run a different system (at least when he's in). one of the 2.

12. mms

mms Member

So we should bring Van Gandy back.

13. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

If he could bring his defense back (seriously what the hell happened to our defense?)......and more importantly be more willing to open it up on offense and use the strength of the bench, I would welcome him back.

14. big11

big11 Contributing Member

Yeah I like that Yao Ming better, I wish RA can bring him back. On the other hand, RA can run the motion with the second unit when Yao is resting. I wonder if it'll ever happen?

15. Emma

Emma Member

trade Adelman for a PG, we don't need coach! Or just let Shane be the coach :eek:

16. shakegod

shakegod Rookie

Indeed,until Battier back then we fixing our lineup

17. Sym0™

Sym0™ Member

Atleast we're not as bad as the Timberwolves *cough*......"Pass it to Jefferson"

18. Shaunjon

Shaunjon Member

Yao is too slow for this offense and T-Mac is too lazy to run that much in Adelmans motion offense. Anyone else notice once someone has the ball on offense there is hardly any movement? Until the second group comes in and they run the offense much smoother.

19. cadet65

cadet65 Rookie

Let's get JVG back!

20. JSUB11

JSUB11 Member

75% of the people here will have meltdowns before Adelman has one.