1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Yao Ming, Brandon Roy final shots

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 7, 2008.

1. mic

mic Contributing Member

I've accepted the defeat, but I wonder...

Why can't the Rockets ever seem to catch a break?

2. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

to avoid being a homer, the rockets do catch breaks. we are just much more aware of the times that they don't catch a break.

3. got red

got red Member

count one Mississippi when the ball is inbounded. doesnt count.

4. saviorlh

saviorlh Member

Shame on tnt for not showing the clock on the replays....you would have cleary saw that they started the clock late.....a-holes!!!!

5. ILoveTheRockets

that was a epic ending to a game... I am still saying OMG about it. Een when I woke up this morning the first thing I said was.... OMG i can not believe he made that got dang shot.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sometimes you get the refs, and sometimes the refs get you. We were shafted in the finest Rockets tradition. :(

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Can anything even happen to overturn this?

I know the NBA made the Heat and some other team replay a game last year because of a blown call... but this is really on the clock keepers so I guess its out of their hands?

8. ibm

ibm Member

seeing this hurts even more. the clock management at portland sure is as good as at utah. oh well.

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

What do you mean when you mention Yao's shot? He got fouled, so 0.8 was correct. The refs have microphones on them that automatically stop the clock when they blow the whistle. If you're contesting the start of the clock, it appeared to be accurate within .1, maybe .2 seconds. That's understandable human error.

I also think the 1.6 seconds being thrown around here (via Hollinger) was actually during the (slightly) slow motion replay. Surprising that Hollinger would make such a blunder, but the real time play is nowhere near 1.6 seconds from catch to release.

Also, some people are saying that it was Tracy's fault and I don't think it was. It looked to me that Ron was telling Tracy to switch on a down screen. There was just as much chance that Outlaw would break to the rim for a lob, so someone had to stay down. So, Roy headed up and Tracy stayed there because he was expecting Outlaw to set the down screen, upon which he and Ron would swap. Instead, Outlaw stayed at the top and screened Artest in place. That took McGrady out of the play, and held Ron up just long enough to create an opportunity for Roy.

It was just an unfortunate play that probably had about a 2% chance of being successful. **** happens.

#49 ClutchCityReturns, Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  10. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

can anyone REALLY be mad abt the game last night? i mean it's early season, there were two GREAT shots, i love great games. once battier gets back i think we'll be a more steady team, right now we're still learning

11. Problem-Chyld

Problem-Chyld Member

if roy had any kind of defense on him there would be no way he would even get that shot near the rim, you cant give up a wide open shot for a game winner idc where you are on the court these are the best basketball players in the world you cant leave them open for a game winner. tmac should have guarded outlaw though hes not much of a shooter

12. archinkent

archinkent Member

wow, lucky basket. i do however like how the ball was high in the air for a sec and it was silent, then the crowd erupted, feels like one of those cliche basketball movie endings. :D but props to roy. cant say im mad at all rockets lost, unlike the boston game.

13. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

14. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CfB3d1FjhCc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CfB3d1FjhCc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

15. jpapi0022

jpapi0022 Member

all in all all you can do is drop your jaw and say wow. Things like that happen Derrick Fisher did it with .4 of a second but he just threw it. Brandon Roy did all that with .8 of a second. They should review that i still find that strange he did all of that with that little bit of time :confused: :mad: :confused: :mad:

16. BQE

BQE Rookie

Artest was supposed to cover Roy. If you see the clip TMac realized that Roy broke with Artest no where to be found thats why he went for Roy. It was Artest who lost him, so lets not blame TMac for everything under the sun.

17. BQE

BQE Rookie

I agree, it's more than 0.8 second to catch, turn around, shoot (not heave) in a normal rhythm from that far, the ball has stay a lot longer in your hand to get the power. The Rockets organization should challenge that, can the league change the on court decision? On court decision depends a lot on the clock operator. We should independently determine if that shot took more than .8 to shoot and then send the proof to the league office. Oh well not gonna happen.....

18. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

He actually caught it as he was turning to shoot, so that cuts down on how long it would have taken. It's a technicality, but we're talking about 0.8 here. It's based on technicality.

19. BQE

BQE Rookie

Very nice analysis of the play... I do disagree with the .8 sec though. According to the league, u cannot catch and shoot with less than .4 sec. Now turning around as Roy did would take at least and additional .4 sec and shooting the ball from that far would require the ball in your hands a lot longer than even a normal three point shot. I say conservatively it would take over a second for that shot.

20. BQE

BQE Rookie

Well sure, but we are trying to cut down on the technicality. If we can prove somehow that it took more than .8 sec for that shot, the league should honor that and not go based on technicality. If not, oh well, great game and we move on.