1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard is the best center in the NBA, live with it.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr.Pink, Nov 1, 2008.

1. optimus

optimus Member

Basketball analysis is not an exact science. mathematical logic does not apply here. There will never be an equation as to what constitutes a better center. I'm just using my criteria to make a judgment. It's my personal opinion. I never said it was the the whole truth, the only truth, and nothing but the truth.

2. optimus

optimus Member

NO. it just means having more skill DOES NOT NECESSARILY translates to being the better player. There may not be consensus on who's a better player between Yao and Howard. But I think anybody who knows anything about basketball knows how much "skill" Shaq's got. The people in this thread mentioned quite a few Howard's weakness, almost all of which Shaq does even worse.

3. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

I wonder why Rockets is the only team Howard can shoot more than 50% against with.

4. caneks

caneks Rookie

Skill doesn't mean much. A fully skilled player with 30% FG% won't be survive in this league. It doesn't matter whether you could dunk, hook or jumpshot. The bottom line is you need a high FG% to be efficient.

5. abita

abita Member

here, fixed

6. joesr

joesr Member

Is this thread really still going?

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You're wrong, live with it.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

"why do I have to be mr. pink"

9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Kill yourself. Before anyone reports this , think of the benefit it will have on society. I'm just saying.

10. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

Dwight Howard has no finesse, he basically dunks. next game u watch count his points without his dunks.

Greg Oden will be the best center in the NBA within 3-5 years.

skill wise: yao > howard

Phsyical dominance: Howard > yao

just like Kobe vs Lebron, you can agrue whos better,

Skill wise: kobe > lebron

Phsyical dominance: lebron > kobe

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

That pretty much puts an end to this thread. And he doesn't shoot 50% vs the Rockets.

12. Convictedstupid

And we still pick up a W every time we play them.

I wonder what percent he would have to shoot to beat us? ;)

Dwight has the potential to be a great center. I think he could be most like the great centers of the late 80s-90s era today. Infact I do think he will be, just in a few years.

So, dont blow your load to early mr.pink, save it for a while.

13. conquistador#11

the birdcage?

=)

14. duel128ttvusa

duel128ttvusa Member

is it just me? I don't get the point of this post. So 25% higher in free throw percentage doesn't count? the dunk over Ben Wallace, or over anyone in the league doesn't count? making all those contested shot doesn't count? as long as u can muscle ur way to the basket count, then I will take Shaq over Howard

I like Dwight but he still has a long road to go. BTW, he didn't win the dunk contest because he didn't even dunk the ball.

15. tsunami

tsunami Member

Stop lying MaxRider.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/tiny.cgi?id=wEOri

head to head in 7 games

Yao 5 wins, 35.3 mpg, 24.3 ppg, 55% fg%, 77.4% ft%, 9.3 rpg (2.7 Orpg), 1.1 apg, .4 spg, 2.3 bpg and 3.0 to/g

Dwight 2 wins, 34.4 mpg, 12 ppg, 44.3% fg%, 65.2 ft%, 9.9 rpg (1.7 Orpg), .9 apg, 1.6 spg, 1.4 bpg, and 2.0 to/g

16. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

That's actually the point I was making. Shaq knew how to use his athleticism to make himself into a great center. Howard doesn't know how to do that yet, and with the game changing towards finesse/guards, he may never get the chance.

I never mentioned Shaq. You brought Shaq up. I'm just saying look at what Shaq was able to do with his "lack of skill". Being that good with such "lacking skills" (as you say) is a damn skill in itself.

This a stupid argument because there are so many x-factors and it depends on what you consider "skilled". It's a subjective argument. Forget about Shaq.

In terms of Yao vs. Howard, I think Yao's better because he's more rounded. I'd rather have Yao in the clutch because he's not limited by his weak all-around offensive game like Howard is. Yao can be used as a primary option ALL GAME. All 4 quarters until the very last second. Howard can not be used in the clutch because of his weak FTs and his lack of shooting ability.

Howard is a better defender than Yao. He's quicker, and he's much more athletic and able to block shots. That's it, though. Again, Howard *could* be a lot better, but he's not. We should wait a little before having a Howard vs. Yao debate. It's too early.

If that head to head posted by robbie380 is true, then it's argument over. Yao dominates Howard.

Not entirely true. You can average 55% shooting but if you're only scoring 10 ppg, or if you're averaging that same percentage from the FT line, you're as much a liability.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The lack of presense of board vets in this thread must be mentioned

18. SeeingRocketRed

Dwight Howard is maybe the fourth best center in the league. I'd take Yao, and 800 year old Shaq, Bynum who hasn't even done anything yet, then maybe Howard. Maybe.

Next question.

19. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

:confused: :eek: :( this is the best thing we can get

20. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

op, this thread sucks. you're a bigger troll than the one's that david the knome used to whoop arse on back in the day.