1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, did we set the face painting world record or what?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCityReturns, Oct 30, 2008.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I was at the game and didn't hear them announce anything. Did they say something on TV? I assume everyone would have been notified at the game if the record was broken, so maybe it came up short (despite their claims that it was going to be easy to break).

Or maybe they announced it in front of Toyota Center before the game...

Anybody know?

Side note: Whoever organized that thing should have gone back to the drawing board. Terrible execution.

2. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

did not set it. Turns out some socer game in france had like 27K painted faces. I think it was a gimmick.

3. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I didn't paint my face...

But I did meet Rudy T. outside of the parking garage! I took a picture with him and everything!

4. ClutchCityReturns

Did they say this officially? If so, that's pretty embarrassing. Of course, like I said, it seems really uncoordinated so I wouldn't be surprised if those geniuses completely neglected to find out what the actual record was! :p

5. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

6. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

I was listening to Matt and Rich and they said the record for the most painted faces was like 300 thousand set some where in Italy. So unless there was over 300 thousand painted faces squeezed into the Toyota center...

7. ClutchCityReturns

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that they would take the count outside of the toyota center before the game and they urged people without tickets to show up just for the record....either way, since the lower half of the toyota center is full of mostly guest from corporate partners and business folks, most who leave before the game is even over, it doesnt surprise me that we had a low number.

9. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

there was no way we would break the record lol, those soccer games in europe have like a million crazy face painted fans at all the games

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I got an unofficial statement from the organizer that Guiness didn't previously have a category for "most painted faces at a single event". So by default, we set the record as far as Guiness is concerned.

The criteria was each person had to have at least 3 colors, had to be assembled for 20 minutes (which is why they held everybody there) and it had to be properly documented with each person on video, camera and names recorded.

If that is true, maybe in Italy they had more painted faces but it wasn't a "Guiness" event.

Therefore, we set the official record last night and all our names will be listed in the book.

So Italy, suck on that!!!

11. abita

abita Member

er... i dont get that pic :(

12. kingk0ng

kingk0ng Member

Bird tried to fly through the window and fail.

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

here i am looking at lolcat pages trying to figure this one out as well.

whoever made that one = FAILBOAT

14. ClutchCityReturns

That just sounds like more lies from the Rockets promotions department, because this seems way more official and waaaay more organized...

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...people_with_team_colours_painted_on_face.aspx

15. ClutchCityReturns

It's a very common thing for a bird to be tricked by the reflection of a window and try to fly through it. They usually brain themselves and die.

So your lack of understanding = FAIL

:p

16. abita

abita Member

i thought it was some random artist trying to do some sort of dust drawing :eek:

17. faraza84

faraza84 Member

hows rudy doing? does he look like hes in good health i miss the players coach

18. envus22

envus22 Contributing Member

FYI, the "Most people with team colours painted on face" record (Paris, France) is different from the "Most Painted Faces at a Single Event" record (Houston, TX, USA) because of the requirements set forth by Guinness.

- at least 3 colors
    - participants need to paint 100% of their face (ear to ear, forehead to chin)
    - assembled for 20 minutes (which is why they held everybody there) and it had to be properly documented with each person on video, camera and names recorded

The record in Paris, France was properly termed, "Most people with team colours painted on face" because:
    - they only used 2 colors: blue & pink
    - they painted 2 stripes on each participant's cheek (WEAK!)

Not to mention that the game they broke the record on (June 7, 2008) was a match with Biarritz; they drew 79,544 for that match!! :eek:

So that is how the the Rockets set the Guinness World Record for the Most Painted Faces at a Single Event. Go Rockets!

19. ClutchCityReturns

Yeah, so the Rockets used semantics to get a record in Guinness because they couldn't actually beat the real record. Sorry, but you won't convince me that the 30,000 people at that rugby game isn't actually "the most painted faces at a single event". Hey, I think I'm going to call up Guinness and have them record my record as "the fastest man to run the 100 meter dash (while wearing a Rockets jersey, a clown nose, flippers, and a cape)".

FYI, people didn't have to paint their entire face from ear to ear and chin to forehead at the game last night. They just had to have in that particular area (straight from Rockets.com: "Fans must have paint in the area from forehead to chin and from ear to ear."). If people were required to have their entire face painted, the regulations definitely would have stated it clearly.

Yes, I realize that I've spent too much time on this topic. But I was all excited to be part of a legitimate world record, and I just think it turned out to be kinda lame.

20. iGeDMoNeyHoE

iGeDMoNeyHoE Member

that was a pretty neat thing to do. i guess they all were getting ready for halloween lol nice sight though