1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's the better defender: Artest or Battier?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Oct 28, 2008.

?

Who would you rather take in the last defensive possession?

1. Ron Artest

153 vote(s)
    39.2%
  2. Shane Battier

120 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Too close -- can't decide

117 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I would have thought this question would be asked by now, but I don't remember it. Who, overall, do you consider to be the better defensive player? Put another way: Final defensive possession, game on the line. If you can only have one of them on the court -- which one do you take?

2. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Battier is a better 'team defender', and Artest is a better 'individual defender'.

3. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

Right now I would Take Battier becasue I know what he can give me in an 82 game season, I have only seen few games for Artest and he has shown great defensive skills but not enough to convince me that he is better than Battier.

With the game on the line, I would take Battier (defensively) because he is also calmer.

4. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

Depends on the player that they need to pick up.

5. Trojan

Trojan Member

I cann't agree with you any more!

6. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

If it's Lebron or Pierce gotta go with Artest, if it's Kobe or D-Wade I'd probably go with Battier.

7. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

This is a tough one. If it's Lebron James, I'd rather have Artest since he's the bigger defender. Anyone else and its a toss up.

Both are quick on their feet, both use the "hand in your face" technique(Artest uses it when an opposing player goes into the triple threat). Artest gambles more but is more physical and Shane is a better help defender.

It's too tough, it's like asking if I want a Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I don't really buy that. I've never seen a good individual defender that wasn't a good team defender. When artest was in Indy, they had a really good defense and he was the best defender on that team. Battier is a good team and solo defender because he contests shots,close out, and battle through screens. Artest is a better defender period. If its late game situation, Artest is the guy I want.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Plus on a side note, when he wants to, tracy is a hell of a defender. Late game situations, he's pretty good to because he's 6'9 or so.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

if Artest plays like he did in Indy, Artest.. currently, I think Battier. And the fact that Artest can fluctuate like that further leads me to say Battier.

Plus Artest is more likely to be called for a foul on a final play due to his physical nature. It can be good if he gets away with it, but I'd rather have good defense without the chance of a foul. Battier

11. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

So if people like Scolandry, how come we don't have Battest?

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

or maybe Battiest. haha

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Overall defensive productivity in most games is equal. I think Ron is much better when he locks in though. If he was ever told he didn't have to worry about scoring and to just hound a specific player the way that Shane does i think most people would be amazed.

14. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Well, consistent effort is a big part of being a great defender. T-Mac doesn't give that.

From the effort side, you have to give it to Battier... but Artest has incredible talent, and it helps that people are terrified that he's going to break one of their bones half the time.

15. faraza84

faraza84 Member

sharon.......haha thats our double headed defensive monster

16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Artest of course!! He's a like a monster compare to Battier. Battier does it smoothly...Artest does it with the in-your face attitude!!

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Quarters 1-3 I want Battier on Kobe.
    4th quarter comes around, give me Artest on Kobe.
    Match will with will. Gonna be a great show.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'd say they're about the same. Battier's both a great team defender and an individual defender. People talk about how he can get overpowered, but he's done a great job on Lebron, who's no weakling. It's very comforting knowing that we can put him on a superstar and we'll never need to double.

Artest is also a great team/individual defender who can be thrown on a superstar. He's probably a bit more versatile in that he can guard point guards as well as some PF's. He and Battier bring some different things defensively. I'm just glad we have them both.

19. flyguy2000

flyguy2000 Member

well, we are truly fortunate that if it's a late game situation we can have BOTH in there.

man this season is gonna be GRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Battier. He never takes plays off and uses almost no energy on offense. The officials like him better too so less chance of fouls.

Artest beats a guy up and wears him down more but I don't think he stays with a guy all game long like Battier.

Of course, the size issue comes into play but I'll take Shane against most SFs.