1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] DWI trial of Rockets guard Alston to begin (UPDATE: Alston not guilty)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DcProWLer277, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Bassem

Bassem Member

Wow, that video just made me hate cops even more.

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I thought the cop was actually pretty reasonable. Alston's voice sounded real slow and slightly slurred, especially for those that have heard Rafer talk under normal circumstances. If he was swerving and had his lights off, the cop had every reason to pull him over. I didn't see the cop antagonizing him at all. Rafer just started getting defensive and hostile. If he wasn't worried about being drunk, he should have just taken a breathalizer or done whatever tests were asked of him. I don't think Rafer was wasted but he didn't sound sober to me. Next time, turn your lights on Rafer and you'll be fine.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

You know what... it really bugs me that things like this are released to the media and the public.

Especially while the trial is going on.

It bothers me greatly.

Those people who run the chron wouldn't like it if we showed a video of them getting pulled over and questioned. But no, they would say, that's not news.

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I agree. The media is pathetic at times. What happened to real news? It's getting more and more sensational by the day.

5. tm1ym11

tm1ym11 Member

Weird that Alston was read his rights by the police officer. But I was asking myself, why is the cop asking so many questions, such as when did you last eat and what you had. Hopefully this case gets dismissed. Never a good situation to be in though, all the consequences follow after

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Watched it.

Why do people act like this to cops when pulled over?

Whatever your opinion on cops, good or bad, they are still people entrusted making judgement calls everyday. Showing some kind of compliance and not being negative towards them goes a long way. I inherently dislike cops but if I get pulled over I try to be as compliant as I can be, I've gotten off the hook many times just because I wasn't an ass.

As for this being public, yeah it sucks for Rafer, but he's in the public eye, he's a pro athlete in Houston, it just makes good print.

7. tm1ym11

tm1ym11 Member

Couldn't have said it better. This is information that should stay within the trial but as you know since he's a professional athlete, it gets blown up and hell...they are just humans after all.

Sometimes when you don't have your headlights on at night, the cop just flashes you with his car light as a sign to turn them on. But you know sometimes they want to be a-holes and see an Aston Martin on the road...oh thinking he's got dough

8. tm1ym11

tm1ym11 Member

Actually let me rephrase this and say tha Alston wasn't read his right by the cops which could eventually lead to the case being dismissed.

9. Mailman

Mailman Member

Wrong. There is no Miranda requirement for DWI arrests.

10. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Well said. All you really gotta do is be friendly. Believe it not, the police are people too.

I can only speak for myself, but if you don't respect me, I'm sure as hell not going to respect you.

11. tm1ym11

tm1ym11 Member

Hmm that must be for a DUI arrest then

12. tm1ym11

tm1ym11 Member

It's true that sometimes you could get away with things when you are polite to cops but it also depends on what mood they are in. Hell at times cops pull you over for whatever reason such as having tinted windows which is illegal to have here in So. Cal or something minor just because they have nothing to do on a routine night

13. Mailman

Mailman Member

Evidence presented at trial is within the public domain, and Rafer Alston is a public figure on trial for DWI. The Chronicle has a duty to both the public and Rafer Alston to make that video available on its website.

14. Mailman

Mailman Member

Nope, nor drug possession or generally any other misdemeanor crime. Miranda warnings are issued when the police want to interrogate a suspect while that individual is in custodial possession.

15. tm1ym11

tm1ym11 Member

Thanks for clearing up such issue, Mailman!

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Watched the video.... and Alston is a fool! The cop was cool as hell! I wish i got treated that well when i get pulled over! The cop was askin him simple questions - probably not so much for the answers but to see if his speech was slurred and if he could recall stuff. Alston wanted to act a fool! Turnin around basically beggin the cop to cuff him - give me a freakin break! Says he had 4 drinks and 3 min later says 2 - the cop calls him on the change and he says "i never said i had 4 drinks!" Right there either he was too drunk to remember what he just said - or he's a liar! Any of you people that want to act like the cop was outta line need to get a freakin clue! The mans lights were off (swervin can be debated), that is more than sufficient reason to pull him over. As far as releasing the video - i got no issue! If Alston wanted to cop (no pun intended) a plea, it probably wouldnt have surfaced. But no, he wanted to act a fool and then waste taxpayer dollars instead of taking a breathalizer and dealin with the consequences. Ta heck with his r****ded self!

17. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

Watched it and rewatched it. Rafer was definitely slurred, and I'm sure the cop noticed it as soon as Rafer could hardly pronounce the first 't' in 'automatically.' Sounded like his lips were numb. Once the cop noticed that, it was over. When Rafer got out of the car it seemed like he was able to get more control over his speech, but still. We've all heard Rafer speak in interviews. His normal speech is energetic, sharp and articulate.

On the other hand the cop did start to get sassy all of a sudden around the 1:57 mark.

Regardless, the cop did his job. You can't just let someone who sounds slurred, and on top of that admits to having 3-4 vodka cranberries, drive off into the night.

I'm guessing he'll get convicted.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think the cop was rude but really thats what we all get from cops so Rafer was not singled out.

Also the cop was doing the math; 4 drinks 2 hours = bad business.

19. kgoodman

kgoodman Contributing Member

Rafer will beat this because there is not much evidence that he was drunk. Light were off by mistake, swerving (debateable..), he refused any test.

I do not advocate people who drink and drive. But believe most people are nervous if they had even few (1-2) drinks and get pulled over. Which probably explains Rafer's behavior. Given Rafer's run in's with the law he probably felt like he didn't have a chance to talk his way out of it.

I will admit, the 3-4 drink comment, then later saying 2 will hurt him. Thats what $Rusty Hardin$ is for.

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Some of you go to great lengths to defend your "Houston Rocket" or to make him into a victim.

This guy was driving with no headlights. He admitted to cops he had 3-4 drinks. He had an attitude towards them.

This isnt something light we are talking about. He was driving DRUNK. If a kid is dead on the streets because of a drunk driver, it does not matter to him/her whether it was John Doe or Rafer Alston doing the driving.