1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good Clubs,Bars and Lounges in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ferrari77, Oct 23, 2008.

1. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Yep, Bronx Bar, Drake, Citizen Lounge, Pub Fiction...

2. surrender

surrender Member

I remember going to Bronx one night (NOT MY CHOICE, I SWEAR) and seeing white guys get in with leather flip flops or Puma sneakers, while black guys got turned away for having sneakers. There are plenty of reasons to not go there, such as the guaranteed nightly fight, but that was the most obvious example of racism that I've seen in Houston

3. tigereye

tigereye Member

And just in case they fall in the "Grunge" catagory....

Poison Girl or Boondocks.

4. tigereye

tigereye Member

This is where I would recommend "Etro."

The scene is chill, trendy but not to the extreme "douchy" levels. But the best reason, I have never had a problem with dress code. The door guy there is simply the coolest doorguy for any club in Houston by far.

5. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Such a shame these types of practices still exist. I just wanna have fun. :(

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Last time I was at Pub some douche asked me if I was wearing an Aggie ring. He was wearing an Aggie ring too. I said nah, UT.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

People in college (from college towns) are used to cheap drinks, quick service, and hot women. So no. Rice Village isn't better. The village isn't good for anyone.

8. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Tipsy Clover, Christans Tailgate for Midtown.

BLVD in the woodlands.

Basically the only places I've been in the last year.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Etro

This is my usual hangout these days. Fantastic music, good people, perfect location.

/thread

10. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Yeah, just go to the Dark Horse to meet those people.

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Just saw your post. I'm a regular at Etro, we should meet up. :)

12. slamdunk179

slamdunk179 Member

You sir are absolutely correct about Drake....they discriminate and pull the, "do you have another form of id with your picture and birthdate"...like i am going to bring my passport with me....I could go on and on about the place...on the other hand, never run into problems at pub fiction before..

13. tigereye

tigereye Member

Definitely, I'm usually there on Friday's or Saturday's as me and my friends are fronds with the bartender, Geronimo. Known him for years now since his MBar days....man those were good times!

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Tipsy Clover's a good bar. Been there a few times, and it's solid.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I'll keep all this in mind when I myself visit H-Town in 2009... But all the hipstering, scenestering, douchiness, discriminations...don't even know how I put up with all this stuff for so long after being away from it a couple years come to think of. It all means absolutely NOTHING after the fact. They're sure trying to add complication into cheap drinks and hot women now.

16. flipmode

flipmode Member

too many places in midtown do the racial quota thing.

when i do go anywhere, it's:

1) Ginger Man
    2) Flying Saucer
    -- i love my beer. all the d-bags at drake can keep their appletinis --
    3) the Roof (above Reef)
    4) occasionally, Pub Fiction... although most nights are d-bag brodeos.

17. flipmode

flipmode Member

seconded. always support your local clutchfans.
    some nights though, you can get bombarded with the azn invazn. :D

18. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't care for the Bronx bar at all. One time, I was able to get in with no problem. I went a second time I went, they wouldn't let me in because my friend was black. The bouncer first told me it was because of my shoes. I pointed out to him that there were white guys with sandals on in there. He told me my black friend's pants were too baggy and what was funny was that he had on dockers. He even went far enough to tell me that it is what it is and that I need to go Toc Bar or Pink Monkey.

What pissed me off soo much is that they let all the White and Indian guys go however they want and even let them skip the line.

Another place that is very much like that is the Red Door. They tried to give me some crap about my ID.

I've always wanted to send something to the HoustonChronicle about it but they rather write about a dancing dog or something stupid.

19. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Sweeps for tv is coming up, right? KPRC likes to do those sensationalist stories for ratings. Maybe they should go undercover.

Bronx Bar on the Wheel of Justice!

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Ringside at Sullivans....on 10/30....there's a really good band playing....with an amazing drummer..... ;)

Seriously, I didn't think there were places in Houston that did the whole velvet-rope thing. I can't imagine ever wanting to spend time at a place like that. Thank God for sports bars and ice houses. Dress codes are for suckers.