1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron:With regular season looming, Francis' status unclear

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shehzad23, Oct 21, 2008.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Can any cap experts think of a reason why the Rockets could benefit financially from cutting Francis?

2. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

He's got to prove he can still play and contribute...sick is not going to do you any good and talking about it is not going to get you any minute.

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i dont think there is but i could imagine the rockets trading francis for something like another switch of picks or a future pick or something if it means below the LT, but only if he cant contribute anything to this team this season.

personally i hope he stays he showed loyalty coming back to houston after he was traded and i would hate to have him traded again after all he has done for this franchise.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Teams can't benefit financially from cutting a guaranteed salary. (At least I don't think they can). It would be a pure basketball related decision on what's best for the team.

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Dump his ass and keep Strawberry...

Steve, it was nice knowing you.

6. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Why would they steve when he has a guranteed contract missing practises isnt gonna help steves chances though.

7. maopaopao

maopaopao Member

Why not cut Luther Head?

8. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Give him a chance!!!!!!! An injured over weight stevie on court last yr was better than DJ will ever be this yr. you guys forgotten he got us a win last yr against the suns with the winning drive and the block to seal the game. That 1 game right there is enough he has something left to prove because it came from the HEART. Him and artest is the only one who isn't scare driving to the hoop and we need those type of players. DJ haven't impress me at all and luther just can't handle the ball nor pass. I said trade those two and go all in on steve francis on the turn and hope for the best on the river.

9. v_sunny

v_sunny Member

Stevie Franchise will come back! :)

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I like Francis and had followed him after he left houston, but just being real about it, how many low iq pg's that used to rely on atheleticism can still be productive? Francis was a very good athelete that never played smart. Now, he's not as athelete, but his iq is still the same. Its like having a greyhound that can't run anymore.

11. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

i wanna be as optimistic as everyone else and hope stevie will have his all star comeback but im kinda tired of waiting...seeing as this is our year and we don't have much time left!

we need to trade him for someone who will truly benefit this team immediately (ex. backup center! or what not).

not trying to bash on francis, but that's just my opinion.

12. TygerNeo

TygerNeo Member

A player who got by on athleticism and once he lost that he wasn't smart enough to reinvent his game. Good thing AB looks like he is ready to backup Rafer.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I can't think of a good basketball reason to cut him, then. Even if he can't give the team anything, his expiring contract could fetch something useful (or maybe we trade it to get under the LT).

14. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I say we give him a chance. If he can contribute at all it would be great. Even if he were at half his former self, that would help. His heart alone is worth it.

I joined this forum back when he and Cat were tearing it up. They had their faults, but they loved the game and gave their all.

Who here wasn't defending him when he got techs for slapping the backboard?

Who here didn't jump out of their seat in Yao's first meeting against Shaq when Steve stepped up and battled kobe only to win the game by a smart pass to Yao in OT?

Who here didn't smile when they heard he was getting a second chance with us at such low risk?

He has his faults, but he doesn't need to be the "Franchise," just a contributor.

Last question, who wouldn't love having Steve on the team if we win it all?

15. rocketsmetalspd

I rather give SF3 a chance then keep Luther Head. SF3 even in last years form was better than Luther. I will be very sad if SF3 is cut. :(

16. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Please get healthy and start ballin' like the Stevie Franchise of old; we need you Stevie F!

17. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

SF3 is safe.
    He will not get cut. He still have legendary status in Houston.
    With his injury, i cant see anyone wants him, even as an expiring contract as his contract is small.

As Turner says, his only 31. He could and should be in prime condition in physical health for the next 2-3 years. As he already got alot of time at the side-lines.

18. FFz

FFz Member

If anyone... anyone starts chanting "we want steve" during a regular game THIS offseason when so much is riding on every game... I will personally drive to TC and start a fight.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The reason to cut him is because to contend for a Championship it's best to have guys who can contribute from the top of the roster to the bottom. How healthy has Steve been over the last two years? He is on the wrong side of 30 and seems to be closer to 40 physically.

Time to let Steve go and bring in someone who can actually contribute if the opportunity presents itself. Don't feel sorry for him. He is a millionaire dozens of times over. Let him call up Sura so Bobby can show him how young, retired professional athletes party in H-town.

20. BigVic785

BigVic785 Member

The tone of this article is extremely negative and it kind of breaks my heart but if Adelman truly believes that a Von Wafer or Strawberry can contribute than u have to cut him, but i still find it hard to believe an all star could completely fall off the face of the basketball world like this. There's still apart of me that believes he still has IT. I would give him a spot on the team just for that what if factor; he still is only 31, but its Adelmans and Morey's decescion and I stand by them but damn Stevie is the man, and for whatever team he plays for best of luck.