1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG's Long...Winded...Interview.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Almu, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Solarlijian

Solarlijian Member

same here

2. Solarlijian

Solarlijian Member

it's him to make yao change a super star,at least in this point i thank him and care him!
    as though he didnt make Rockets a better record ,but it is enough not to forget him !

3. tmackeepsitreal

This thread has been great and what not, but if y'all will excuse me for a second, I have to go put some water in BuckNasty's mama's bowl.

4. ThaBlackKnight

JVG did his job in Houston, which was to teach the Rockets how to win, toughen them up mentally, and help mold Yao into the superstar that he is today.

How many coaches could've led a team that had Tmac surrounded by Dikembe Mutombo, Juwan Howard, Chuck Hayes, Shane Battier, Rafer Alston, and Luther Head to 50 wins??

Doc Rivers couldn't do it in Orlando in a very weak Eastern conference team, with Tmac at his peak.

Who was the coach who realized that Steve Francis was talented, but in terms of Basketball IQ not a very good player?

Who was the coach who realized the talent that Yao had, and forced him to dominate games, because Yao didn't realize it, because he would not demand the ball before JVG got here.

He did many good things for the Rockets, 2 50+ win seasons, always had his team believing when nobody else believed in them, and brought defense back to make sure we have something to fall back on.

I'm not saying Rick Adelman doesn't do these things, because honestly he is the better coach of the 2, but without JVG, RA doesn't have a superstar center in Yao, he doesn't the fantastic passing of Tmac, and he might not have come here if we were just a talented team without a winning mentality.

JVG did have his down points, such as blowing a 2-0 lead to Dallas and Utah and losing both game 7's. Bringing in older players who did not contribute or just didn't work out, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives in the long run. JVG helped the Houston Rockets transform from playground team to a solid professional NBA team, that is what he will be remembered for as a member of the Houston Rockets.

5. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

negativity like the dada just shows an immaturity and a lack of knowledge...its ok...you are a rocket die hard even though you know very little about the intricate nature of the game...its ok to be a simpleton and a negative simpleton about the game...your love of the rockets over rides your lack of knowledge in my book. i just wish you knew the game. i think you would really really like basketball if you could understand it.

6. sdlhw1983614

sdlhw1983614 New Member

+1 :)

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, funny...typical lack of intellectual response, just call someone dumb. We all know you lost out on a job with the Rockets when JVG was fired and you blamed CD for it, over and over again.

The game I know, and play, still to this day......is a lot like Adelman's....not to mention I appreciate Rick Adelman's approach to player management, it is more about getting the best out of your players while they are on the court and not micromanaging every microscopic detail.

Rudy T was a much better coach than JVG, he got the absolute best out of his players....and let them learn from their mistakes to make them a better team overall.

JVG tried to manage each possession, and at the end of the day that is not championship basketball....at least in my opinion.....

So, while you can saddle up your high horse, and spout some faux knowledge about a game no more complicated than any other....we can all have a hearty laugh at your expense.

For the record, I love the Princeton offense and back door cuts, ...you know the offense that Adelman is trying to implement portions of here in Houston, where the offense reacts to what the defense is doing....that is the style I prefer.

But take heart Dennis the menace, you are right about one thing, I am a Rocket die hard, and have been since before you were born.....and I am not negative at all....I am ECSTATIC that the little Napolean was fired for failure, and now believe the team is free to win it all....

I just figured it out before most......it is hard to lead, you should try it some time.

;)

WOOT !

DD

#107 DaDakota, Oct 19, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  8. denniscd

oh dada...you are a die hard but a basketball savant you are not...they dont run the princeton offense, its not similar at all. did you ever watch carrill's teams at princeton or the nets offense with byron scott coaching. that was the princeton offense. every offense reacts to the defense whether it is a set play or adelman's corner series, but then again, only those who know basketball would know that and that, well eliminates you.

yeah cd sucked as morey is proving, but i dont ramble on and on about that...its called being a grown up...you may be older than me chronologically, but wow, maturity wise, not so much.

van gundy maxmized mcgrady (better year) yao (better year) battier (much better year) head (much better year) than adelman. adelman had more weapons and used them exceedingly well.

but spew on with your lack of knowledge and your name calling but i think you would be better served following this statement..."better to be quiet and be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

sure hope your knowledge of your own business is better than your knowledge of basketball and i hope one day you achieve as much in your profession as jvg and adelman have.

but the one redeeming quality of you coming to the board is that you love your rockets...its just hard to focus on that when you rant on what you have little to no knowledge off.

9. DaDakota

You are seriously picking nits.....who said Adelman is running Carril's offense?

There are eliments of Carrill's Princeton offense in Adelman's high post offense. I am not a pure Princeton guy, I prefer back cuts, and screen and rolls, and the offense Adelman ran while in Sacremento, which if you recall, had Pete Carrill on his staff.

So, to say they did not do some of the same things is being disingenous. You can pretend to know the game, and maybe you do, but you clearly are blinded by your love of a failed Rockets coach.

JVG winning 2 more games with Yao in his 2nd year was not a great indicator of his awesomeness.....no...no...no....he got a McGrady in his prime and a Yao coming of age and rode them into the ground....

JVG is not a builder, he proved with the Knicks that when the going gets tough...he quits.

I like JVG as an announcer and in an interview, he is very insightful, very knowledgeable, but IMO, he is too much of a micromanager to ever...EVER succeed as a championship coach.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree.......and THANK GOD it looks like Morey and Les agree with me....and fired him.

Just sit back and enjoy this year....it is going to be a good one...

DD

10. denniscd

agreed that this year shapes up to be the best rockets team ever.

i was comparing the last year with jvg to adelman's first year. mcgrady yao battier and head were much better under jvg.

jvg won 2 more games in his first year than rudy without posey and eddie griffin two starters from the year before. but nice try skewing the facts.

carrill was on adelman's staff, but it is not the princeton offense. every team has actions that borrow from the corner series. my question is why did adelman's team last year have worse offensive numbers than jvg's the year before?

and you and les may agree....but les knows nothing about basketball and you sound like you two are peas from the same pod.

11. DaDakota

It was marginally worse but since you allegedly played the game you should know how hard it is to change systems and integrate new players into that system, there is going to be some drop off.....

Yes, Les and I both know that when you have an employee that is unwilling to listen to the owner, and is failing due to his own shortcommings...you fire him...

DD

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Friends...

When someone bashes the past or present Rockets in any form I get so mad. Your squabble is basically someone defending JVG, when he was a Rocket. I can see why he would be quick to step up for him.

You both see it differently, no big deal. But remember, we are all here because of one common thing, OUR LOVE FOR THE ROCKETS. It would be way better to focus all the angst against the Jazz fan community.

:D

13. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

You'll realize JVG's brilliance when he's coaching the Nets to the Finals in 6 years. I'm so happy he won't be coaching against us anytime soon. I would hate watching that game.

14. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

JVG is good coach.....with the right players and the right stars. Yao and Tmac were just the type of gritty, tough-minded players that could be the nucleus of JVG's team. Not saying that they're necessarily soft and feeble, but they are much more suited for free-flowing systems like this hybrid offense of sorts of Rick Adelman.

I don't know about you guys, but watching the Rockets under JVG in the playoffs even made me sweat because he just did not give too much freedom on offense, and as a result our offense just got stale quickly once we hit a snag. Then of course we had to rely on our defense to grind it through. Maybe if he was a little less of a micromanager on offense like DD mentioned, Tmac and Yao would've played more to their potential, especially during the series against the Mavs in '05

15. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

We didn't have any offensive options other than Yao and TMac. Give JVG Artest, Scola, Landry, Barry, and a serviceable backup pg (who is not VSpan or JL3).

16. DPballer

DPballer Member

What system? I didn't exactly see a motion offense last year and I haven't seen one this year in preseason. I look at this roster, and there's no way we will ever resemble that Kings team with Adelman. We're going to pound it down low to Yao, T-Mac and now Artest will get their iso's, and we're going to pray that Alston and the others can hit open threes. That's going to be our offense, just like it was last year.

17. redao

redao Member

we did not have any offensive options because of JVG and his odd, defensive mind.

Landry will be out of the league after one year under JVG.
    Artest will never play for JVG and JVG will never want him.

if VSpan had a chance to play for Adelman, he might still be with the team and providing much needed free throws and real PG plays.

18. redao

redao Member

"toughen them up mentally" , "winning mentality", "a superstar center in Yao" really?

the fact is:
    Yao ,TMAC and the whole team were soft mentally like tissue in playoffs and in clutch moments.
    Yao was useless on both ends facing Okur and Boozer. Superstar centers don't shoot 44% and let Okur block 4 times a game.
    Rockets did not win anything after the huge leads. the losing mentality is more accurate to explain the losses, the excuses, the repeating mistakes and the 4th quarter collapses.

JVG's coached for 4 years. there has to be some positives because Les paid him his money. However, 4 years of Yao and TMAC's playing time has been gone to the waste. That's a huge cost. Anyone care to remind me what's the product we had?

19. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

I didn't like him when we first hired him, but he grew on me. As a fan you had to appreciate his opinion and coach spin as only JVG could give it. Sometimes it made you laugh, at times it upset you but you knew it was just JVG.