1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Observaions from the Boston game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ambrose86, Oct 12, 2008.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

My response on some of the thoughts.

1. Hayes' great D is pretty well-known already. But until he can play enough offense for opponents to not double off of him at will, he's still not going to see enough court time to matter.
    2. Strawberry was never really an option, IMO. So it really doesn't matter.
    3. I don't know what to think of Brooks. It's still just preseason, but I'm not sure I saw enough improvements over the summer.
    7. Rafer's outside shot is the LAST thing we need to worry about. Although a streaky 3 point shooter on a game-to-game basis, he has been pretty consistent in shooting a good enough percentage to spread the floor. His usual 35-40% from behind the arc is quite acceptable.

It's his 2 point shots that needs to decrease dramatically. He needs to copy Battier. Stick to the 3 point line and let Yao/T-Mac/Artest/Scola create.

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Yep, but from the game it seems like Pierce shoved McGrady before McGrady started going after House.

Also, from the look of Pierce's face and the way his hand is placed on McGrady neck, you gotta admit he looked like a typical NBA punk.

3. Classic

Classic Member

You know, with the addition of a great scoring talent in Artest, I wouldn't mind seeing Chuck Hayes in the starting lineup again just to see how we do defensively. I know Scola and Landry can create spacing for Yao but having that real offensive threat in the floor in Artest might open it up for Hayes to start for defensive purposes. Just an idea since he did start for us for a long time and you know what you get with him...

Don't forget, we haven't seen Battier yet either. Shane in the lineup could allow us to play Ron at the 4 against some smaller teams...

Also, I have not been impressed with Brooks. I think he should only be in the game when Barry or Tmac is in the game so he can be more of a scorer. Being a point guard to run the offense doesn't seem to suit him. I don't expect to see a whole lot of him in the regular season unless we get hit by injuries.

I like Wafer. I hope we can find a way to retain him. I know he wouldn't be a part of the regular rotation but he looks better than Kirk Snyder.

4. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

wow that's why there's such drastic difference! thanks for the info.

I really dun care about Head's game, because he's not going to be vital to our success.

I think that Brooks's development is much more important for this team to succeed. Yea, even though he played better in the second half, remember, it is only against gabe pruitt, but not against rondo. I still have questions about his playmaking ability. But I don't think that's going to be the most important aspect, because Artest and TMAC can both be the playmakers in a half-court set. What I really want to see from Brooks is some consistency from the 3 point line. One game he may hit 50%, but on lnight like tonight he could go 0-4.

5. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

Chuck Hayes is going to matter A LOT in certain matchups. We've already seen that Scola and Landry can be somewhat of a liability against a great powerforward. I don't know if anyone feels the same, but what a peace in mind I have when chuck is guarding boozer rather than when Yao or Scola is.

6. sook

sook Rookie

haven't seen tmac try like that in a while, he only played 10 min~

7. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

It's amazing to watch Chuck take on guys like KG. KG was trying to back him down and Chuck wasn't giving an inch. Chuck has to have the quickest hands in the NBA with the way he constantly strips the ball from guys in the post before they get their shot off. Huge + for the Rockets to have Hayes to throw at guys like Boozer and KG.

The thing I loved most about last nights game was how the Rockets showed great intensity and toughness even the 2nd and 3rd unit came in and played hard. The Celtics would come at them and the Rockets would come right back every time. Artest has given the Rockets an identity as a tough team but we can't over look the toughness of guys like Hayes, Scola, and Landry. They bring the never say die attitude to the court and it's beautiful to see.

8. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

I think it was more than that. if you're trying to hold someone back you dont do it by the neck. you hold them back by the waist. pierce was holding mcgrady back by the neck, which imo is a bit personal.

9. Convictedstupid

just imagine if we had brent barry popping up tre's

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Good point. The difference is Artest takes intensity to the point of trying to intimidate and bother the other team. He also contributed to (caused?) the aggression that Tracy and Yao showed by roughhousing and bullying PP early in the game and by tossing Ray Allen out of bounds.

Ron Ron brought an agenda to last night's game and imposed his intensity on the other Rockets. Hayes, Scola and Landry don't do that. But egged on by Ron, look for those guys and Shane to kick it up another notch.

11. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Man o' man, we are in trouble. Both Rafer and Brooks looked terrible.

12. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

And I'm still trying to figure out why some people want to trade Chuck Hayes.

13. mich

mich Member

He even pushed down Artest too.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

To be fair, Artest was embellishing big time when Pierce "pulled" him down.

Artest is just an instigator, pretty comical how he was getting under Pierce's skin.

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Why is everyone so suprised that Artest is not acting like the nutjob he is portrayed as? Has no one watched him since the Palace incident? Even before that, he's only really ever mixed it up when provoked. He's not really acting all that much different, if at all.

16. rocket farm

rocket farm Member

thanks Yak....just what I needed !!!

17. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

You guys talk about House running back, it's not like T-Mac could not have gotten away from the finger tips of Pierce, the guy isn't that strong. T-Mac didn't really want to go at the guy....comon we've all played that game :D

18. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Wow, thats kinda harsh, but I will admit that "fat body" part was kinda funny.

Wow, can't believe you actually made sense this time.

19. inler

inler Contributing Member

i don't know if i was imagining things but wasn't hayes getting involved in some of the scuffles too? maybe he just had a hard foul on somebody.

this game got me so excited for the season. tracy was just testing himself and had a 10 point quarter against boston's starters.

i don't think any team is going to look forward to playing us this season. kobe, lebron, wade, paul, williams, they're all screwed.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Truth. I laughed out loud at Ron's clowning around.

Truth. He was sending a message.