1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An open letter to the Rockets about filling seats

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by droxford, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

FYI, this is my 3rd season as a ticket holder, in the old season ticket online system they had, its showed if the ticket was used or not, regardless if it was the paper tickets or .pdf tickets that you email to others. I converted to the new Flash Seats system this year, and it does the same.

Not sure if you company is has the same access, I would assume they do. I made sure to check mine last year because I wanted my damn perfect attendence for the autograph team ball, I made every game but about 5-7 of them, I made sure they were used on the old system, it basically said the ticket were not transferable because they were used, if they were NOT used, it said it would be transferable even though the even has already been done.

Hope this helps

btw, I don't like the argument of "releasing" seats at halftime. Although I have seats in the 400 section, I sometimes get out of work at 8, and won't make it to the arena till halftime, like last night. I would agree if its the lower bowl, but its hard to tell if these people are season ticket holders or tickets given to them.

2. hoangkong

hoangkong Member

Could I have some tickets? I only been to a rockets game once. :(

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

How about asking your rich ass clients about the Rockets before you give them the tickets? You know, kind of field some questions out and see if they are Rockets fans and would enjoy tickets to the game? If they "fail" the test, keep those tickets and sell or give them away to fans that would actually appreciate them. Just a suggestion.

4. K-Dawg

K-Dawg Contributing Member

Droxford, as a Rockets employee I can tell you with confidence that we do, in fact, offer that service. In fact, as a season ticket holder you can even call at 7:31 the night of the game and we can tell you if your tickets have already been scanned. We try to make every effort to ensure that the tickets are being used as, like all Rockets fans, we do not like seeing empty seats. Clearly you were unaware of this service and, as such, should contact your services representative to get more information about what we can do to make sure that your seats don't go unused in the future.

5. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

The tickets are WAAAAAAAY to expensive! And I think floor seats should be for real fans rather than lazy businessmen. Imagine the atmosphere if the Red Rowdies where just next to the Rockets bench.

6. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

For real man...pass those tickets this way!!!

7. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

The Rockets should do it like the ballet does, if a seat isn't used before the intermission (end of 1st quarter), anyone can move down into that seat. :D

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

great idea
    beyond the HEADSET . . . it would be without cost

Rocket River
    . . honestly .. i'd provide my own headset *grin*

9. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

lol, hahaha, when the cops cath me , i will be sure to mention that i got the suggestion from you, lol

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Five star thread, drox!!! Great idea. :cool:

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I have Wizards season tix and through the "Account Manager" on the Wizards website you can see whether the ticket for each game was used or not.

Would be surprised if the Rockets don't have something similar.

12. plee

plee Member

One thing you have to remember about the "prorated"/unused ticket idea, is that the owner of the ticket that could not make it may want a refund since they did purchase the ticket at full price. That's something the Rockets probably don't want to do :eek: Whatever the reason for not showing up, the person owns the ticket and the Rockets can't just "resell" the ticket (some sort of law probably being broken here)... You are not likely to see any changes anytime soon...

13. droxford

droxford Member

Ease up on the aggression, dude. I'm just an IT guy at the law firm. I'm not the one giving them out.

14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The biggest reason the lower bowl court area seats are not filled is that they are blocked off "club" seats. In the laptop, if nobody was sitting in those seats, by the second quarter they'd be filled by people moving down or over.

Now the area is blocked off by rails and security, only people with tickets can even access the area. This prevents "fill in" during the game, thus if the ticket holder doesn't show up, nobody else will be able to get over there.

I understand that they can charge 25% more since its a "club" seat, but that also means that it'll look like there are lots of empty seats a lot of the time.

The best thing would be if the corporate tickets are not going to be used if they corporation would get them to there lower level employees so they can go to the game.

In most places I've worked, if a client or customer isn't using them, then the managers get first crack, then they get passed down from there.

Also, if a law firm has tickets, rather than give them to clients, they should take the clients to make sure they get used.

15. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Some of the more complex ideas are kind of rediculous, but I think an idea as vague as "if a seat is empty at the end of the 1stQ or half, someone from the upper deck or from the street even should be able to pay a discounted price to fill it" is a good idea. They should do some variation of that. I think the money you get from the "discounted lower deck" seats more than makes up for the one guy that actually would show up at halftime and get pissed that someone is in his seat.

Its kind of hard to do that when coorporations already have dibs on a bunch of seats in the lower bowl. But lets just say that I can. I'm only one person. I can't buy 100 empty seats. I suppose if we are ignoring the fact that coorporations already have dibs on a lot of these seats, I COULD spend thousands of dollars a game and give them out to people to make sure they are filled. But thats like saying I should donate 20 million a year to the Rockets to ensure they can resign Artest. "Otherwise I'm not a real Rockets fan"? Thats just rediculous.

16. conquistador#11

i've already sent my draft of my original idea, 'the new great jumpstep foward', to rockets HQ. They haven't even emailed back. =(

17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Actually I think we can allow the craziest fans (people who cheered the loudest in the 1st Q) to move down after the 1st, as long as if the actual ticket holder comes back, they get those seats. That way the person who pays for the tickets will not lose their seats at the same time it will be able to fill the seats for TV. That is the best solution.

For people who compalin that they are "real fans", that's great. But the owners do keep a eye on the bottom line, and they paid a lot of money for an entertainment business and they'd deserve a certain amount of returns on that investment. If they were willing to give the tickets, how would they do it in a fair manner? If you look at Red Rowdies last year, there Rowdies that didn't go to the games.

18. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

That's a pretty cool idea; you could have a group of "backup" Red Rowdies who get in free but don't have a guaranteed seat; their job is to move around the lower bowl and fill those empty seats and scream their heads off...if there's no empty seats fill SRO areas in the upper bowl. It's not like you even need the headset, maybe just a special badge to identify yourself as a Rowdy so you can move around the arena without hassle; if someone comes to claim their seat you politely leave...with a GO ROCKETS!! shout out in their face!

19. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

A great idea in principal, but in reality it would be REALLY hard to implement because it would require a lot of man power to make sure when the real guy gets there he actually gets his seat, and instead of just standing there in the isle the "fill in" Rowdy actually leaves.

Plus, you would think the owner loses money not only because he has to pay for more security, but also because these people that are filling in seats in the lower bowl for free probably would've paid money for a ticket in the upper bowl.

I think wizkids idea has something to it. Sometime during the game grab a few people from the upper deck and allow them to go to the lower deck for free. If you strictly regulate who is coming and going from lower bowl seats (which they sort of do already), when the real guy shows up it wouldn't be that hard to get the upper bowl guy to switch back. Basically just have the security guy usher the guy to his seat and bring back the guy that got it for free.

Although, now that I think about it, they can basically accomplish the same thing by taking away the people guarding the entrance to the lower bowl and not stopping people from sneaking down.

20. hancock.corey

hancock.corey Member

I think he was joking about not being a real rockets fan. lol. the pimping urself out part gave it away for me. hahaha. that's funny, though. great post, lol.