1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Head making his mark in camp (UGH)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Oct 4, 2008.

1. rv2843

rv2843 Member

Two seasons is more than enough opportunities for Head. Trade him if he plays well so we can get better in return. He is not worth for another year.

2. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

If we ever play a team not named the Utah Jazz in the playoffs, I can see him making a significant impact.

3. RedRaiderRocket

This is good news I want every Rockets player to do well. There is nothing wrong with some competition.

4. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

Luther was a joke last year and hopefully they get rid of him already. They already have a shooter in the rotation ( Barry ) so no need for him especially since he can't dribble whatsoever.

5. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Spacmoth, was a "UGH" really necessary after the headline. You did not need to add that sir. Why would one be disgusted that Head is doing well? I do not get it.

Maybe you were confusing head with Bobby Jackson.

6. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

He needs to make his mark on the trading block. Yes he's a good sometimes great shooter. Every team needs a shooter, but in the playoffs he's among the worst. He makes Andre Miller look like that other Miller guy.

Brent Barry does everything better than Head already, and multiply that to the billionth power in the playoffs. Hopefully someone buys this bait and give us a useful player or cap relief in exchange for Head. I won't mind if he's on the roster cause I think he'll be glued to the bench, as long as he isn't on the playoff roster.

7. AXG

AXG Member

I don't see how it's a bad thing that he's playing well in training camp. You want the best team you can assemble on the court and everybody playing their best brings out competition for spots and PT.

8. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

What the heck are you talking about? There is no mention of Landry in the article.

9. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I used to like Luther, but sorry I don't belive this guy at all now...he may even play well during the season and I am not gonna change my mind...it all comes down to the playoffs

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I thought Head was the type of player who could flourish in Adelman's system. When he chooses to, he has a nice first step to the basket and he can shoot. If he could only handle the ball better he would be a better back up guard option than anything we would be able to pick up in a trade. Big if, of course...

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The negative with Head doing well is that people might actually be baited into thinking that he's a piece of a championship contender. You saw what he did the last two playoffs. We need shower-uppers on this team, not get-in-the-fetal-position-and-cry-in-the-corner-ers.

12. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Head has gotten better every single year since he came into the league. Yes he has sucked badly in the post season, but you know what he is a young player and not all young players are just magically good when the pressure is on, sometimes it takes them a couple of years to find their groove. You guys forget how good he really is, I guess its a good thing that his expectations are so low on this board because it will make it that much easier for him to show up everyone.

13. Breaker

Breaker Member

I don't get the hate...

This guy had two solid years before last year's "slump" and now he's generating more hate then Dallas fans. This guy is nothing less then quality depth. He's a sharpshooter that can give you points behind the arch, and has also shown some clutch shooting in the past. One bad year doesn't make him a bad player.

I think Luther shown enough in the past to make me think that he has the abilities to raise to the next level, as a above average role-player.

14. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly. Luther is a deadly 3pt threat and the Jazz knew it. They never left him ...which was easy to do when Yao isn't playing.

Now with Artest, you gotta leave somebody open. Luther will drill 3's all night if you leave him open. But if you guard him close, he's stopable. If Yao, TMac and Artest are on the floor, Luther will get ALL KINDS of open looks that he didn't get last season against Utah.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My initial reaction was that Rockets may be talking up Luther for a trade.

Then I remembered that many of us had the same reaction to the positive Alston talk last preseason, and Rafer ended up starting all year.

It is entirely possible for Luther to be traded. Steve Francis and Luther Head are the top 2 salaries paid among guys who are not currently more or less secure with minutes in the regular rotation. They are also the most logical choice for salary cuts if they don't figure to get minutes by, say, midseason.

I think what Morey will do is wait for the battle for minutes to settle before making his calculations on talents and salary.

16. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

I dont think its fair to completly blame Luther Head for what happened to him in the playoffs the last 2 years. You have to remember that in that 06-07 series it was only him and Juwan Howard that even showed up. Also this was Luthers first year in Aldemans system. He played his whole career with Van Gundy ,it takes time before you can get used to a completly new system. so I think we should give Luther a chance.

17. hancock.corey

hancock.corey Member

Okay, guys. What's this, head's THIRD training camp? do you really expect an undersized late first rounder to be able to mature basketball-wise so quickly? So many are saying, he only plays good when the games dont' matter, blah blah blah! Veterans can come in and be productive without receiving consistent minutes. Younger, undersized players, not always the case. I buy the article completely, because Luther Head wasn't ever that bad. let's see, probably one of the more athletic players we had on our team the past two years (not saying much, but still. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZGMolLGsBc when was the last time you saw a rocket guard dunk two times in a row? lol. has mcgrady even done so recently? plus, he's a forward.

18. AXG

AXG Member

Besides Barry, Luther is the Rockets best pure shooter on the team. He adds depth to the team for a resonable salary and hasn't ever been a problem. Also, I don't see Barry playing a whole lot of minutes during the regular season since they want to have him ready for the playoffs. meaning head can earn PT during the regular season.

19. ming bada bing

I'd say Head > Wafer

Hell, head is better than a lot of things. :D Sorry, had to do it...

20. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

........maybe cucumbers taste better pickled