1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carl Landry please ink a deal, we love you and need you in a non gay way

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tfor3, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Shay

Shay Member

Landry doesn't need to step up he doesn't need to do anything.

He need to let his agent try to get him the most money possible , Landry should think about his family not his 1st ring.
    He is not that young , he is 24 which he means 2 signficant contracts for the rest of his career , after that he will make peanuts.

Why no one is bashing Deke?
    He is asking for more money and he alreadly earned a ton of money in his long career , he should be the one seeking a championship.

2. joesr

joesr Member

LAWL
    I didn't realize living off of the minimum of 480,000 (which isnt even the case here) was hard to do.

3. Maxgx

Maxgx Member

Completely agree on Landry's situation. Actually it does not seem the interest of Landry and Rocket converge at all... Obviously Landry is looking for the most money, while with Scola/Hayes/Dorsey, plus with Ron Ron on site, the franchise should not take such a risk to offer a contract to a player who play for money and have a pair of suspious knee... Don't forget most likely need to resign Ron Ron and prepare for 2010 as well...

4. Maxgx

Maxgx Member

I love this idea... Exactly the same I would do.

5. joesr

joesr Member

I think there is already a low ball offer...

6. rocketanalyist

Smart negotiating is when you have proved yourself in more than a handful of games and don't have a history of injuries including your knee; which is not Landry. Landry could be doing more to hurt his future negotiations with other teams including the Rockets than he is by signing a reasonable contract and going out and proving himself for a whole season. Just ask Sprewell and Bonzi how turning down fair offers worked out.

7. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Lol let's be serious. Rockets are offering landry no where near those contracts, so that point is ridiculous. The amount of landry/agent hate for him just due to blind morey love is quite sad.

8. Maxgx

Maxgx Member

Seriously, does landry ever achieve anything close to Sprewell/Wells did at that time? They don't have suspicous knees as well...

9. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Like seriously, is landry even asking close to what those two players wanted? No, landry is just tired of getting lowballed by morey. The max landry would be asking for is the mid level exemption and that's is chump change for an nba franchise. Diop got that this summer and he averages 3 points and 5 boards a game.

10. Maxgx

Maxgx Member

MLE is the max currently they can ask at this time, and remember some junk journalist and 8~10M story, like a couple of months ago? Ben Gordon's game is just over, and his agent isn't the only one to play such a game...

Sign landry to a full MLE could be a reasonable deal to those teams in badly need of a PF (Bucks?), due its high risk (injury) high reward (I honestly not being convinced, but since quite a few people are quite high on him then I concede) nature. By any means, I really do not want to see Rockets to take a risk here... as we shound not and need not. We already have a pretty good load at that position, and should spend money wisely while approaching LT.

Finally, you have to take it into consideration that scola is only paid ~3M. I know he is underpaid, but you dont want to break the balance/harmony by signing his backup at a higher rate.

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Bad business mistake!! :p

12. Yetti

Well you haven't been reading all of my posts :)
    I don't even want the Rockets to resign Mutombo!! He has had his career, made a huge amount of money, become famous and even lingered for several years with the Rockets. It's about time he coached (Big Man Coach)and help younger players develop in his position. The Rockets need a back up Center
    who can develop with our present team. Mutombo, who has very limited gas in the tank, is only a quick fix in a temporary sort of way.
    Mutombo is one of my favourite personalities of our NBA era and I do like him but feel that he needs to spend much more time with his own children. :p

13. Yetti

QUESTION: Has anyone seen or heard anything about Landry playing pickup games during the off season. If he has played then we should have an indicator. If he hasn't played, we have an even stronger indicator. :p

14. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

If we sign Landry for much more than 3 mil, we have overpaid. If he was younger (like 18-19), then you could argue he has potential, but right now he's just a backup. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have him back, but we can't overpay for a backup. Especially when we have 3 other players that can log some minutes at PF. I'd rather let him walk than pay him something like 17 mil for 4 years.

15. ybbodeus

ybbodeus Member

Memphis papers and sports radio there (including Calipari) have stated Joey wants a two year deal, that's it; that because he's a lot older than your average rookie he feels like he needs the better contract position after two instead of three seasons, which presumes he's not a bust.

What's the standard approach with a rookie, that the option year be a club option versus a player one? Educate the newbie here, if you don't mind.

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

For most second round picks, the team usually offers the player a two-year deal with the first season partially guaranteed (with the amount of guaranteed money varying from pick to pick) and the second season being a team option.

Sometimes, if a team is particularly high on a player or if the team otherwise has a portion of its MLE available, the team will sign the player to a three-year deal (with the third year being a team option). Usually, the player will agree to this because there will be more guaranteed money with such a deal. The Rockets did this with Steve Novak. More notably, the Warriors did this with Monta Ellis, and it really paid off.

17. rocketanalyist

I know that the point was exaggerated to the extent of the dollars involved, but it is not about hate for Landry and love for Morey to me. It is about what is best for our team.

I don't think Landry has done enough to be holding the team up like this. I really like him as a person and his game...but I don't like the decission to hold up the team over his contract issue because I dont believe that he has earned that with a few good games and an injury. That doesn't mean that he is not entitled to do as he pleases..Im just putting the team first over his needs.

18. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Thing is, Shay, his agent has made a complete mess of things so far.

It's not difficult to understand why Morey wouldn't want to commit to Landry without him getting his knees scoped. But it is difficult to understand why Buddy Baker doesn't understand this.

I do understand that Baker needs to do what's best for his client. But so far, all his posturing and declarations of Landry garnering teams' interests have resulted in zilch. Why? Probably 'cuz every other GM in the league knows that what Morey's is doing is fundamentally sound business. So why can't Buddy see that what he's doing is only making the situation uglier and lowerng Landry's bargaining advantage by the day instead of sitting down with Morey and working terms out?

Perhaps something is really wrong with Landry's knees? Or is it just Baker being a complete douche?

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Anyone share my feeling that our Carl Landry will become the next Robert Horry?

(fine maybe not AS clutch but Carl has been clutch...)

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Carl look, you are being a tease. I know, I know, most people respond to teases and eventually give them what they want, but we're different. I'm running out of pants to wear, and running tired on patience. If you don't sign with us soon, I'll stop caring about you.