1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hey Yao Ming! You are pissing me off!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by adagio75, Aug 26, 2008.

1. adagio75

adagio75 Member

Once again..... This is a rockets site and thats what we do here! We think Rockets this and Rockets that. Why else would we be here but to discuss how how things affect the Houston Rockets. If you want to talk about anything else that has not link to the Rockets go to a different site then.

2. errpac

errpac Member

Lol Louisiana got owned, he didn't even reply because he couldn't. Also Louisiana we didn't say Americans are not partriotic hence we did add lebron, kobe, wade, coach K quote to emphasis these athetes have priorities for the olympic gold over the NBA gold. We are saying to those that the olympic gold is nothing are more individuals who care more about the state team the the pride of the country. Or perhaps they just look down at the olympics, which they shouldn't because it brings the world together.

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Maybe he loves his country more than you love your country?

Look, Yao does not have to sign a contract to be part of his country and he's never going to get traded or retire from his country. With the Rockets, on the other hand. . . .

Are you saying that if you were an NBA player, you would rather play for the Rockets than for the USA?

4. adagio75

adagio75 Member

Can we please stop acting like Yao is above money!!!! He was paid to play for his country! He was one of the biggest names making money off endorsements. He also was paid to play for his Chinese Team before he came to the NBA. How do you think he ended up here??? Because we bought him out of his previous contract with them. But back to the subject, he said that there was nothing else left to play for.

5. zforrest

zforrest Member

No dude... YOU are the one who needs to go to a different site. While Clutchfans.net is for the Rockets, it's also for the players. You are unable to see the world from Yao's perspective and thus don't even know the Rockets' own players. This whole thread is a manifestation of your shortcomings. If you leave, no one will miss you -- you should probably never tell anyone else to leave ever again.

6. adagio75

adagio75 Member

These comments are the reason why people miss the point! I have never said that Yao playing for his country was wrong!!!!!!! Stop commenting on something that i never said!!!!! I stated that he said that there was nothing else to play for and that he felt like his life was over after the games. That statement left me wondering why this guy did'nt comment on the upcoming rockets season or anything to that matter?? He just left it as if the nba was nowhere on his list of basketball priorities???

7. MD_in_Training

Epic Fail.
    Do you have any idea how much Chinese basketball players get paid? It's not alot. Realize also, that half his paycheck goes to China. And the remaining half gets taxed by the American government. And no, he wasn't paid to play in the Olympics.

8. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Why do you care this so much? You are into him too much!

Yao always gives his all on the court. I think that's enough to fans!

9. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

you are an idiot. If this the case then OP has no reason for complaints. Yao loves his country just like everyone else and hence there is no reason for OP to bash him for that. But thats not everyone is saying, people are hating on China because they feel his NBA team should be more important to him. Got it????

10. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

Just because you think "Rockets this and Rockets that", doesnt mean you are right. So when you are wrong, be ready to be flamed and don't try to hide behind because I think "Rockets this and Rockets that" so its ok for me to say anything.

I personally don't see how attacking Yao because he loves to play for his country more has anything to do with you supporting the Rockets. Just as long as Yao is giving it his all too when playing for us, why would Rockets fan have any issue with anything else??

11. tmackeepsitreal

lock this guy up and out.

12. DaRock1

DaRock1 Member

It's too easy to hide behind the excuse that you are a Rockets fan. But being a fan doesn't mean you can say whatever you like and no matter how dumb what you say is. We all love the Rockets. But whether you are a fan or not, if you say something stupid or start an unintelligent thread, you deserve to be called out. You have given up your right of whining when you clicked on the button to submit your thread. If you can't take the heat, you should stay out of the kitchen. Think before you start typing next time. It's just as simple as that.

13. Rocketman03

Rocketman03 Member

First I would like to state that I'm a crazy Rockets fan, i haven't missed a game since 1996, so there is no need to question my fanhood. Now, to get to my point. Yao playing in the Olympics for the HOST NATION China, his own country, is probably the biggest honor a pro athlete can get. Yao was the face of the entire country. And for him not to say the things he did after the Olymipc and even before the games was absolutely essential. This is way bigger than the NBA. I love the Rockets and of course I would want our team to win it all, and I think we will this year, but there is no reason for Rockets fans to hate on Yao for loving his country and showing some nationalism. I'm sure you'd do the same if you were in his shoes.

14. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

whenever yao said anything like this, i knew people would get pissed which is UNDERSTANDABLE!

from yao's perspective, you would understand him completely.

from a selfish rocket's fan point of view, you feel betrayed.

either way, if u REALLY knew yao, you would know he is a good guy and a hard worker with good intentions. can't blame the guy for showing pride in his own country can ya?

15. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

It might not be just you, but I definitely disagree with you.

He's a patriot. He loves his country. The opportunity to represent one's country in the Olympics -- a truly global stage -- is an honor few can realistically dream of, much less achieve. The NBA Championship is barely a blip compared to the enormity of the Olympics.

Further, you're overlooking his statements about how he wants to curb his national team obligations in order to concentrate on his obligations to the Rockets. They don't get nearly as much press, but they're there.

16. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Listen to your words. You can't compare Li Ning to average national athlete dreaming to win a medal. How many athletes spend most of their young lives working for just the chance to win a medal yet never win anything and are left abandoned. Look at Yao's parents, for all their hard work they lived most of their lives with Yao in a cramped apartment with cielings so low they had to stoop to walk around their home. In the evenings, Yao's mother scavenged extra food from about-to-close stalls to feed him; the ration coupons given to each family were nowhere near enough to feed Yao who was already almost 6 feet tall by age nine. Their dedication didn't land them any sweet job but was expected by Chinese government. There is no intellectual decision there. If it weren't for Yao they would have nothing.

17. alcatrazpsycho

adagio75, you can't expect to thoroughly explain how you feel on this bbs and expect people to agree with you when your title is "Hey Yao Ming! You are pissing me off!!!!"

but they are missing your point, and this thread isn't a fail (just the title, and another minor thing)

I agree with you for the most part though. But then again, you have to understand everything is media driven and maybe he was trying to be politically correct. He said he saw no point in playing in the London 2012 Olympics, and I took that as an indirect way of saying he wants to focus more on the NBA and win a title here. But then again, that was before 2008 Olympics started and before he said that there was nothing left to play for / his life is over.

As for the Olajuwon comparison, that isn't exactly fair to Yao. Olajuwon became a star playing college ball in the city of Houston. Furthermore, which team did Olajuwon represent in the 1996 Olympics? Exactly.

To all those using the Kobe/LeBron/Wade reasons: Do you honestly expect them to say that winning/trying to win an NBA title was better than a US gold? How do you think the media would react, especially since they were in "redemption" mode from getting bronze (which NBA TV also had a program about that too)???

18. yobod

yobod Member

I can't believe there's been 11 pages of post and no one has thought that that may have been a rhetorical question that yao imposed. certainly life isn't over. In the interview on msnbc, which is worth every minute of the 31 minutes, he stated that he wanted both an olympic medal and an NBA championship. He said that it's very tough but an olympic medal would more important because it's harder to obtain. He's worked this hard to arrive at this stage in his home nation. of course it's a disappointment that they weren't able to play further at the olympics. I am glad he'll get some extra rest though after they got knocked out.

yao's desires shouldn't be question. his priorities are different and that's because he's had a different past than any of us. for the OP to argue that Yao should dedicate himself more towards the Rockets is rediculous. his dedication to winning a championship is beyond anyone else on the team. He's loyal by culture, loyal to the Rockets. remember when he didn't understand why francis was traded. he always saw himself as a rockets forever. yao's disappointment the day he was hurt showed how he felt about letting down his team. at that time he was fairly sure he wouldn't miss the olympics but felt sad that he couldn't complete the season.

his pursuit of the ultimate prize in the nba cannot be forgotten. after losing in the playoffs in 2007 he was confronted in the locker room by the dream. he was down on himself and the dream said something in the lines of keep working at it, it took me 10 years. yao responded about how he doesn't know how he can experience that failure for another 5 years.

his first two injuries were kinda by freak accidents. this past season was of a stress fracture. given his size, it's almost amazing to me that he's lasted this long. remember ralph sampson? that was before my time but I would say he gave out before his 8th NBA season. the rockets and loyal fans understand that yao can take us to the promise land, that's why we pay him to do what he does for us. tmac gets hurt too, you can't just blame only yao for getting paid. we can only hope they stay healthy.

for myself, yes I do wish that this is his last commitment to the CNT. he did say at sometime that he thinks it will be like going out on top if he retires this year being hosted by china and that he needs to move over for the kids to take his role. I just don't hope he gets talked back into it feeling obligated to redeem themselves or something. if/when he does win a championship with the Rockets, all you haters will quickly switch sides and celebrate yao and say he's great and everything. you guys are no better than mavs fans. all a product of the american media of jumping on bandwagons and not knowing how to appreciate the tough times in order to rejoice in the success.

on a side note, the msnbc interview brought out a side of yao that's just amazing. he's very humorous and speaks english very well. his joke about how he'd tell the interviewer about his married life later goes to show his humor.

19. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

Please, please, please, please tell me you're just some 14 year old kid who doesn't know any better.

Otherwise, you, sir, are a dumbass.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I didn't question your fanhood. I didn't say anything about hate on Yao. Here is literally what I said:
    Literally, I said that I don't get the hoopla about the olympics, bfd to me. I said the Yao only fans would hate on him, I didn't limit it to them only. Between club and country I choose club. Even if the entire Rockets roster represented the US in the olympics (somehow magically) I'd still rather they win a title than Gold. That's it.