1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TRADE] Singletary for Strawberry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by madmonkey37, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

With DJ, with him coming in, he will at least be the 3rd PG off the bench. While SF3 is recovering from surgery.
    With Harris, you have Artest and Battier playing all the minutes at the 3 spot, and you expect scola to play major minutes with artest,dorsey playing spot minute.
    His a proven hustle that is playing too small for his spot, and basically thats all about him, his too small to defend 4s and not quick enough to defend 3s. Unless Harris improve on his 3p shooting to something like 38% (last season did not shoot a 3, Summer League .143 ), he have no spot in the squad, where he cant contribute on BOTH ends of the court. His ceiling is basically now.

As i say in my previous post, he offer something that rafer, AB and SF3 does not have, size and defense. Heck i give him the starting position if he can limit elite PGs while being able to bring the ball up, feed the ball to yao/artest/tmac, and keep the turnovers low. I have no problem seeing him attempt 1 shot per game, and 0 assist with 2 turnovers.

Then seeing rafer bricking wide open 3s, throwing up floaters and pray it goes in and got abuse at the other end by brute force- D will and Davis.

2. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

I think your under estimating the importance of the PG and the chemistry of the team. To give him the starting position over Rafer and expect "1 SHOT", "ZERO ASSIST" and "TWO TURNOVERS", sounds like you'd rather play handicapped, 4 on 5.

3. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Yeah I think he went a lil too far with that hahaha

DJ's only chance is to outplay Francis in camp. If he can come in and give us something we have not had and that is a big defensive PG that can play for 5-10 mins a game when/if needed that could be his role on this team.

4. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

His real name is Darryl Strawberry, Jr. but he decided to change it because he was ashamed of his dad.

5. GMNot

GMNot Member

In Adelman's system, maybe his chances of sticking are more dependent on this than a traditional PG role. This is what Bobby Jackson was trying to get players to realize last season. Cuts to the basket will be there. And if he is a good finisher going to the basket...

6. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Young athletic guard who can def, What we need right now.

7. battousai

battousai Member

I think having stawberry is another great move by the wizard.

on paper DJ can guard the lighting fast point guards of the west and he's tall enough to do so with the 2 guards too. (where Head lacks)

last year we got no one to guard the likes of deron williams, tony parker, or CP3. DJ at least will have better success in guarding them then alston or brooks. battier and artest are great defenders, but they are not as fast as those guards.

if for some reason DJ don't pan out, we can always drop him, as he have no guarantee contract. great move!

I think this is troublesome to head, as he becomes very replaceable.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Defensibe players with no offense are a dima a dozen. Shooter on the otherhand... Well, that's why players like Kapono and Carroll can get the full MLE.

9. MykTek

MykTek Member

reminds me of Eric Snow .....

10. MykTek

MykTek Member

or a Rodrick Rhodes.... *cringes*

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

e
    :rolleyes:

Singletary didn't have a 5:1 assist:turnover ratio in college...

His college shooting numbers are poor when compared to Brooks. Brooks finished 0.3 assists behind Ramon Sessions in summer league to be the second highest assist averager (7.0 per game).
    In fact, the only thing that was disapponting about Brooks in summer league was his shooting numbers.
    BUT
    In the NBA last season, look at Brooks shooting numbers after the all-star break. They make for good reading - 44% from the field and 40% from 3pt land.

I'll take the proven Brooks, who had a vastly superior collegiate career, over the unproven Singletary - who won't stick in the NBA. Book it.

This trade is all about 'salary freedom'.

We don't HAVE to pay Strawberry - and most likely won't.

Yay for Morey!

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

It's going to be a lot of sad fans once they realize he will not be in the rotation.

Talk about overhyping a player. Geez.

13. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

It happens with every player we get. The guy we actually drafted...Batum? (brief talk as he was traded rather quickly) Greene. This guy. It doesn't really matter as the 12th man doesn't play. (if he were to make the team) If he makes the team, which i doubt, it will be for injury insurance only. Money dump as he can't be traded for a certain period of time. I don't know how long.

14. DreamRoxCoogFan

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

16. DreamRoxCoogFan

maybe morey wanted strawberry all along?

17. pillage

pillage Member

Sounds like Steve Francis to me.

Anyway, this trade is a really good move by Morey. It's a cheap, very low risk move that could make the team better. His best asset is defense, and at PG it's something the team needs. That doesn't mean he'll make the team though, and if he doesn't the Rockets don't lose a dime, whereas they would have with Singleterry.

Morey no longer surprises me with anything he does.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

They were looking at picking up an international player.

19. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

yeah, and being able to limit the opposite PG, something like a chuck hayes on PG.

20. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

There is a rumor that several teams, including Houston, are interested in Iranian center EHADADI Hamed who is available as a free agent.