1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hey Yao Ming! You are pissing me off!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by adagio75, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

huh? yet you don't understand how Yao feels when is ACTUALLY playing for his own country in HIS country's biggest sporting stage?? Thats some twisted logic bro....

2. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

You don't understand, China gave him all, basketball carrer, life, everything he has owns to people of China.

He's patriot after all, so I do understand him.

And...

IBTL

3. shaaz w

shaaz w Member

Listen, I personally don't have anything against Yao's presence on the court. heck this is the reason we are arguing otherwise, because Yao is soo good when he plays, and that we need him on the court. We need him to win.

but the fact is, he is not on the court when we need him at times. because he gets hurt. because he plays too much.... that is all I am saying

Stress fractures are the reason of putting too much pressure on that area and that goes with him playing all year long.

4. A00man

A00man Member

False. China had a reserved spot in the Olympics because they were the host country. The host country always gets a reserved spot if they choose to participate. China could have finished last in the World Championships and it wouldn't have effected their Olympic spot.

5. Astockmarketgod

please... most of these guys complaining about Yao and needing to take a break over the summers...

dont care if Yao participates in the Olympics... because winning a gold medal would mean nothing to them...

guys like Lebron and Kobe... grew up thinking about making the NBA...and making money

Yao grew up thinking about playing for his country...and never dreamed he could make the NBA...

its understandable...this is a Rockets fan site...and Yao is a Rocket...

but I suspect these same guys who are crying because Yao is doing to much over the summers...

when Yao was logging upwards of 38 minutes a game... in the first half of last season..

these are probably the same guys who either... didnt say anything... or... said "how is he going to play in the playoffs if he cant put in 40 minutes a game"

the Olympics is the greatest sporting event there is... no other sporting event can say they bring the best atheletes to compete in 28 sporting events...from over 300 countries in the world...

to compete...not for money... even though a select few will make money in these games...

but for ones glory and glory for his or her country...

for those guys who only think ROX this and ROX that... get a life and stop living it through a basketball team...

6. MykTek

MykTek Member

you have to understand where Yao Ming comes from, he grew up being groomed for the Olympics, the day China would compete competitively against other nation's teams...the day they would have a chance to compete for a medal.

Honestly, if you think an NBA championship is more important then just representing your country in the Olympics....something is wrong with you. In all honesty, what China did in the opening/closing ceremony will probably never be matched....how many countries spend like 8 yrs preparing for the Olympics....

We take it for granted here in the USA, b/c we have stadiums, domes, and etc...they are built regardless and we can compete for hosting an olympics anytime...almost any major city in the US.

but back to Yao, after an emotional event like the Olympics in his home country and he not being able to play 100% and it may be his last Olympics, I'm not surprised that he feels that way....like I said before, he was groomed for the Olympics and not to ever medal, must be a crushing blow to him....

7. shaaz w

shaaz w Member

Just realized it wont show this site here.

I was trying to say "yao ming mania" website

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

ITS not a cultural thing! Americans see it that way, Spanish, Argentinians... Every country has it's people who believe Olympic gold is more important than a title.

And, you can't tell me that him taking time off would have the same impact on his health as him playing in the games. No, Yao will not give it all because at the end of the day he doesn't have enough for everyone. I'm sorry, Yao isn't Superman, he doesn't have infinite health and is actually injury prone. I'm not saying his devotion is in question, far from it, I'm saying we as fans are asking too much of him. I think he needs to make a decision which is more important. If he says Olympic Gold, then more power to him. But let me ask you something, as an employer, if you had an employee who was working a second job, (no matter how selfish or selfless it was) and this second job caused him to miss assignments, show up late to work and even drop the ball here and there, would you think he's the best fit for your company? The answer is a resounding no. You all may disagree, you all may get angry, but everyone out there knows the truth. It isn't about the company you keep, it's about the results. Why else would we get Artest? He's a cancer, but there is a chance we could get wins out him, why not try? The fans feel the same way. We may not like it, we may not love it, but as fans too, we demand wins.

Personally, I'd rather have a team of players I like (I loved last year's roster, and aside from Artest, this year's) then a team that wins. Having both would be gravy.

9. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

better than Tmac saying he always wanted to play baseball.

10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

If I were Yao, I'm sure the Olympics would be more special to me too.

He's grown up as a national icon in the biggest country on the planet. One out of every 6 people who are alive today live in China. Can you even fathom how it would feel to have a billion people pinning their hopes on you to be the ambassador for their country, and to compete for a medal in a sport where your nation has always been considered vastly inferior? Obviously you can't.

There are certainly things to dislike about the China's government and culture, but the national pride of its people is something to be admired. I don't fault Yao at all for how he feels, and in fact, I respect him more for it.

I understand the frustration that comes with Yao not being able to focus 100% on the NBA, but if you are truly this upset with him because of how he has arranged his priorities, then you are a just being selfish.

11. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I see the Rockets as much more than just entertainment too, but that doesn't ignore the fact that it is just that. It's a business. A product for people to pay for to enjoy.

The Olympics are about country as well as individual competition, not contracts, not money, not flash. Of course, there are MANY things flawed in the Olympics, but at the root of it, it's meant as pure competition. Representing your country. Where you were born. And for Yao, what he's been working for over the course of years, not just an offseason. AND, the Olympics were in his home country.

Perhaps it's a dedication, honor, etc. that many of us won't understand. I mean look at the Chinese hurdler that was super pissed he couldn't race. He still went out, showed up for his country. Then he went to the back and just looked entirely dejected. The Chinese wept. That makes NBA fandom look meek in comparison my friend.

The majority of wear and tear Yao receives is from the NBA season, not his offseason. Just sayin.

12. NICK3QB

NICK3QB Member

Thats fine. Either way, Yao was making the same long term commitment to his country that the players on the USA team were making to it in order to build cohesiveness. I'd much rather have Yao rest up during the summer time also in order for him to be fresh, but to crucify him for playing with his country in order to prepare for the Olympics I think is a little much. Now if Yao goes and plays in China next summer, then I'd say you all have an argument. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt right now and say that he did it in order to prepare for one of the biggest moments his country has ever had.

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Even using your logic, Yao is not from your city/state/country. The NBA is not entertainment to him or other athletes. The NBA is a JOB. What makes people great at it is their love for the game and their desire to win. The athletes with those two things would have those no matter who they were playing for, as long as the owner is signing the check.

No offense, but I don't see much reasoning behind your logic. I can translate your statements to "I'm mad because Yao doesn't care about the Rockets I do". And when you look at all the reasons as to why he possibly wouldn't care (even though he is the one busting his balls playing and you are just watching), they are all logical reasons (foreigner working here basically).

When you take a fat girl out to eat you can't be pissed when a large bill comes back. Similarly, we knew the deal with Yao when we drafted him. China comes 1st...the Rockets come 2nd. That's reality....accept it.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Umm'... I think you're a member of the wrong forums then.

15. paultherad

paultherad Member

BLASPHEMY

16. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

As his employer, I knew what I was "paying" for. A guy who is 7'6'' which means health problems that are common with large people. A guy who has commitments to his national team. Nothing new here.

It's one of those, "you don't like, you don't buy" deals.

Oh yeah, sure we all have country pride. But i didn't see an entire country crying when any of our athletes went down or lost. It's just an intense amount of national pride the Chinese have. It seems like Americans only get that way when something terrible happens, which is just saddening in itself.

17. MykTek

MykTek Member

i'd like to make another comment...

most of NBA players work for years to win a championship and thats y it's so celebrated...

while the Olympics, until this past one, the NBA and it's players never put a full commitment to it...thats y this gold medal means a lot for the players, some of them actually put in 3 yrs of hard work to accomplish this goal....

18. Astockmarketgod

good argument... problem... is... inorder to get this employee... the employer had to steal him away from another...in doing so... he had to give compensation to the former employer... requiring the employee to finish his contract out on weekends with that former employer...

the world is full of CEO's who are making millions of dollars... while there companies are losing money... and some times getting bonuses for it too...

not to mention the ones who throw there shareholders under a bus...lying cheating and stealing from them....

atleast the biggests financial stake in this is your season tickets and basketball items...you pick up during the year...

19. Astockmarketgod

im a rox fan... but i my life is more than just basketball...

no offence...

but if your making 15 bucks a hour at pizza hut... then I guess you have nothing much else to live for...

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Maybe, but at the same time you can't tell me that the Rockets have ever been ready for any one of his injuries. Look, I'm not saying Yao isn't a great guy, I think the world of his personality, I think he's good for chemistry and just great to have to launch the Rockets into the spotlight. Outside of Houston, Rockets fans almost didn't exist. I remember when it was SF3 and Cat, nobody even knew of the Rox, I'd tell my friends about the team and they'd laugh. Yao brought this team back to the face of the NBA map. He is the spokesperson for this franchise. With that said, all I'm saying is that if winning is what we're geared for and nothing else maybe Yao isn't the right fit.