1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SPAIN: "Ching Chang Chong"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Secret Agent 7, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Secret Agent 7

2. Zion

Zion Member

The Spanish are well known for there class. And they always have an excuse for it too. Yeah Spain we are all just stupid, you know better.

From a blog:

[​IMG]

Here are just a few examples:

Leading up to a 2004 World Cup game against France, Spain's coach Luis Aragones called French striker Thierry Henry a "black ****."

It was caught on tape during a training session with his team. Aragones said he used the slur simply as a motivational tool. Sure, and John Rocker and Jeremy Shockey watch Bravo.

The Spanish Federation fined Aragones 3,000 euros (a little more than $4,000 in our booming economy), the equivalent of a day's pay.

Luis, got a tip for you. Next time, just don't go into work. Stay home, watch "Boomerang," "Menace II Society" and "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" and hiss at the TV all you want.

A month after Aragones' comments, England played against Spain in Madrid and black English players Ashley Cole and Shaun-Wright Phillips were subjected to racist taunts by fans.

Aragones remained Spain's coach, leading the Spanish to the Euro 2008 title before stepping down and he is regarded as a national hero.

In 2006, Barcelona forward Samuel Eto'o, one of the best in the world, was taunted mercilessly by Real Zaragoza fans with monkey chants. Eto'o, who is a three-time African Player of the Year, reached his breaking point in the 77th minute when he started walking off the field saying, "No more! No more!" Watch. He was later convinced to go back onto the field, but in other matches bananas have been thrown on the pitch his way.

Earlier this year during a Formula One race in Barcelona, F1 up-and-coming star Lewis Hamilton, who is black, was greeted by a group of Spanish fans painted black chanting racial slurs in his direction.

A Spanish newspaper columnist (Jaime Martin) claimed the abuse was just in response to Hamilton's budding rivalry with Spain's own whiz kid Fernando Alonso saying, "It's certain that the insults were racist, but if Lewis was bald the insults would have related to baldness."

Someone keep Costanza away from the Iberian Peninsula.

So, here's to Spain. Stay classy. Just remember to keep your eyes open when LeBron and Kobe put their balls on your chin.

http://sportsyenta.blogspot.com/2008/08/inquisition-what-show.html

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think part of the problem is that racism was never the problem in Spain that it was in the U.S. They don't have the same history with slavery, Jim Crow laws, discrimination from voting etc.

The things that make it such a sensitive issue in the U.S. just don't exist in Spain.

That being said, the examples provided here are racist and stupid, and I don't mean to excuse it in anyway, rather to just examine the differences.

4. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

Spain had the inquisition, they discriminated against Jews and Muslims, Spain was one of the first slave trading nations. Spain actually has a little diversity as opposed to say a homogenous nation like Japan. One would think in a western European industrialized nation the would be cognizant about the inappropriate nature of these things.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not saying they didn't have any history of wrong doing or discrimination, but they never had the centuries long problems with it that the U.S. has. It just hasn't been that big of deal in their broad history. They haven't had hundreds of years of lynching, keeping groups out of schools, jobs, and the bitterness that that history has created the way we do in the U.S.

So when they say or do something racist, that thing is still racist but it doesn't have the added history both distant and recent of using those things to oppress people and hold them down.

6. bucket

bucket Member

At any rate, it looks like they're getting to work on making that history.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/nov/20/spain.football

7. maud'dib

maud'dib Rookie

hey when there is nothing from your country to be proud of, gota put down other nations lol.

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

A lot of people don't realize that the US is probably one of the least racist nations on earth now, at least when it comes to overt political correctness. Many European and Asian nations and the people that live there have much more of an overt racist attitude, especially in humor, compared to the U.S.

9. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

:confused: Political correctness does not mean lack of racism.

10. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

Jason Kidd is right when he said if any American did this, we would get blasted for this...

I really can't believe they just apologized and weren't punished any further...

Being Asian, I found it very offensive and glad I live in America

I've heard really bad stories about different races living in different countries...even where my family is from, they don't look at Asian Americans the same, they treat us differently

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

But at least there's awareness. Which is why the US is much better than other countries. In homogeneous countries, this is not something people ever bother to talk about.

And really, the Chinese are just as bad when it comes to racism. Probably not as horrendous as the stories I've seen of the Spanish, but much worse than the US.

12. Zion

Zion Member

They didn't apologize, they basically said it was a joke and you have absolutely no right to be offended.

13. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

They were better looking while they were being offensive.