1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Olympics - China using underage girls?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SageHare6, Aug 10, 2008.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

there is no rules about being a certain height or weight, etc... to play basketball in the nba or olympics.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

OK, so Xinhua, People's Daily, CCTV and NYTimes all run items on the Chinese gymnasts being underage - online records from the province that she live sin confirms this - but to you this is merely " a single news report from China" that the entire story is based on.

I don't want to get out my torpedo again, but I believe your Dragon Boat is taking on water here.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Hey, if they were using underage girls then they need to be disqualified. Even if they are underage and did beat other girls older than them, those are the rules. It is impressive, if they are underage, that they did do so well but if they broke the rules then they must be punished.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's evil dude. evil.

Les has bad taste in clothing, but he's not that evil.

5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

real egal's dragon boat is listing 20 degrees towards crazy, captain.

6. underoverup

underoverup Member

some of you are getting this whole scandal out of whack, this isn't about gold medals, it's about protecting young children. i believe tennis has put in similar restrictions to protect kids from competing at such a young age.

7. Why So Serious?

Here is the height difference between the Chinese and American players courtesy of the LA times.
    [​IMG]

Now please just hear my point first, before starting to comment about the huge difference in height and weight.

I will only present the facts that I think we can all agree upon.

Now this image gives the height, weight, and age (passport) of the Chinese and American gymnastics team.
    The girls that are in question have their pics bordered by black.

Let us first ignore those 4 girls in question for a minute.

Look at Cheng Fei from China. She is the team captain and competed many years in international gymnastics and no one is questioning her age.

Notice that her Listed Age is 20 ( we can agree on that right?)
    Now look at her other sizing categories.
    Height:5'0"
    Weight:95lbs

Now compare her to the 2 American girls next to her...

Both Solan and Peszek are 4 years younger then Cheng Pei at the age 16.
    Peszek out weights Cheng by a full 15lbs despite been the same height, with Solan been 1 inch shorter and still have a 9 lbs advantage.

Now lets compare Cheng with Sacramone (smoking hot) and Memmel since they are all 20 years old. With each girl having height advantage of 1 and 3 in respectively.
    There is a difference of 22 and 24lbs between Cheng and the other girls :eek:

Now lets get back to the most controversial girl Deng Linlin, and compare her with Shawn Johnson.

They have the same list age of 16, with a difference of 3 in in height and 22lbs in weight

I'll let you each come up with your own conclusions and arguments.

8. stonecold999

stonecold999 Member

are we saying this underage thing because of US got Siliver, and China got Gold???

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

What are you trying to say with your breakdown? :confused:

10. Why So Serious?

Maybe the Chinese girls are just smaller then the US girls by genetics?

Sorry guess I should say that, I kind of assumed everyone would come to that conclusion from reading that :(

11. jli

jli Member

Can they just do blood or DNA tests to settle the case ?

12. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

NYTimes ran on rumors or a mistaken news report, nothing else. If they did investigate the official document, they will let you know if the result supports their allegation.

Xinhua had a news report with mistake, which was corrected later on. People's Daily and CCTV reported based on the same report from Xinhua.

IOC and FIG only accept official passport as identification, not any report from news source of any country, be it evil commie China or democratic beacon USA.

If there is proof with official photo id that Chinese gymnasts are under 16, the gold medal should be given to US team. Until that happens, rumor or blog are still rumor and blog, of course you sir are still entitled to whine, this is a free country.

BTW, thank you for openly admitting that you and your "Free Tibet" buddies were lying.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

NYTimes didn't run on rumors, they did an investigation of the provincial records and other registration docs that showed her age. This is from the late July report.

As for Xinhua, It was a mistake - why, because you were there when she was born? You want it to be a mistake - documentary evidence indicates otherwise.

Who was mistaken in 2000, when the 14 year old posing as a 16 year old took home a medal - you're telling me she's mistaken in the CCTV5 interview posted a few pages back where she claims she was just 14?

So what - you're making a procedural point. I don't care about those regs, there's evidence to the contrary. Ideally IOC would investigate but really I don't care much.
    I don't care who gets the gold medal - but if China is cheating then it should be acknowleged. Really China just should have put its non-questionably aged gymnasts out there, they still would have won since the US was tripping and falling all over the place.

So wait Xinhua DOES make mistakes or DOES NOT make mistakes. If Xinhua DOES NOT make mistakes than your battleship just got sunk, see above.

IF Xinhua DOES make mistakes then I am in the clear and my submarine prowls the ocean, looking for wayward Dragon-Bots. I can just say all their Tibet propaganda is a mistake. You choose and I'll get back to you.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's not the size, it's the faces.

15. Why So Serious?

Because faces are a much better way of judging someone's age?

[​IMG]

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think this thread contains more pics of Greg Oden than any other place on the internets.

17. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Nope, we have to cut them open and count the rings inside, which I fully support.

18. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I wasn't there when she was born, nor were you or NYTimes. I don't WANT it to be true or mistake. Until proven otherwise, I will go with the official document. I don't have a mindset like you, if they agree with my belief, they did the right thing; otherwise, they are lying.

Mistaken news report is NOT evidence. ANY news report is not evidence to anything. Of course, you don't care, as long as you claim the internet victory in your own book.

Anyone who's cheating should be acknowledged. Your suggestion is ridiculous that China should put out some faces that YOU believe as non-questionable. So, in other words, even China put out a 30 year old one, if she wins, you can still claim questionable.

You openly admitted Xinhua doesn't lie. Neither you or I claimed they never made mistakes. In the whole Tibet issue, Xinhua has been constant for 50 years.

One can make mistake about one incident, but one can't make the same mistake over 50 years. Therefore, there was no mistake made by Xinhua over the Tibet issue. Plus your premise - Xinhua doesn't lie, the ONLY LOGICAL conclusion you could draw from this is - people like YOU and your buddies telling whole different stories lied.

By the way, I believe Obama made a mistake while telling the liberating Auschwitz story. But according to your logic - multiple new sources reported that incident, and the story was contradicting to the fact, so he must be lying? Please enlighten me with the Sammy boy logic 101 again.

19. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

holy liuken is only 5' 3"?

Watching her on tv I thought she was taller. She is so much taller compared to everyone else. Gymnasts are smaller than even I thought

20. Why So Serious?