1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official 2008 Olympic thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Faos, Aug 6, 2008.

1. playlife

playlife Member

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer 12 minutes ago

BEIJING (AP)—Roger Federer’s bid for his first Olympic singles medal has ended with a loss to American James Blake.

With the sort of lackluster performance that was once unthinkable for Federer, he was eliminated in the quarterfinals on Thursday night.

The upset was a stunner in that Blake had won only a single set in their previous eight matches. But the top-seeded Federer is battling a yearlong slump that has left him stalled at 12 major titles, two shy of Pete Sampras’ record.

Federer’s latest defeat means no rematch in Sunday’s final against Nadal, who won in epic fashion when they met for the Wimbledon title.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/be...5pSVTZd4?slug=ap-ten-tennis&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

3. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

^^Yeah, tell me that's 16.

[​IMG]

4. maud'dib

maud'dib Rookie

in other news, the us government allegedly used fake documents to start their operations in iraq...

5. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Federer is finished. Nadal is the best in the world.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Way to stay on topic. :rolleyes:

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

WTF??? :confused:

8. carayip

carayip Member

Hurry up, NBC, ESPN, CNN, New York Times etc.
    The world is waiting your report disclosing the fact how a Chinese girl cheated her way into beating your Venus Williams!

9. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Is there a miniumum age requirement for tennis? I don't think so.

10. carayip

carayip Member

Who talked about age here?

11. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

WOW. The US (Gibb/Rosenthal) vs. Japan Beach Vollyball was great.

US handles Japan fairly easy in the first set. Japan stages big comeback in second set to win. Third set has early huge US lead wiped out by 6-2 Japan run and 2 match points for both teams before US wins.

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Why doesn't the olympics use a point system for scoring? Say something like 5 2 1 for gold silver and bronze or some other formula. The total count is clearly wrong. Three gold clearly is worth a lot more than say 4 bronze. But seven silver I would say is worth a lot more than one gold, so the gold count isn't great either. US for some reason love the total count while the rest of the world love the gold count. If they develop a common scoring system, eveything would be happier.

13. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

US has its own system for every measurement, why should Olympics be any different? :)

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Just watched that on my lunch break. It was very good.

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yes, I still have no idea how people in the US could think miles, feet, pound and ounce is easier than kg, meter, km etc, the base 10 system is so much easier to use. I guess there are so many people who are just too set in their ways. Just like many posters in the D& D forum. :D

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Fixed your post, sir. :p

17. AGBee

AGBee Member

You can't raise ANYTHING with the Chinese without them getting hyper defensive about everything...paranoia much?

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For breaking barriers also want to congratulate Ronda Rousey for winning the first medal for a US woman in Judo
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/judo/photos/galleryid=212719.html

Way to go US JUDO!

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can sympathize with the guy but unfortunately even at the Olympics people get screwed by the refs. Remember the pairs skating gold that went to the Russians in 2002 or the men's all-around gymnastic gold in 2004? Those were egregious violations that happened during the glamour events of the Olympics where the refs still screwed someone over.

As I tell my players though its the coaches and managers jobs to complain and not the players to protect them from making a scene that might cost them in future competitions. You also don't want to show up the other competitors who busted their @sses too to get there.

Finally for anyone who knows about wrestling even though its a combative sport the rules are fairly arcane and complex leading to judgement calls by the refs. As much as people complain about the subjectivity of sports like gymnastics and figure skating unfortunately many other sports aren't immune from that either.

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I got tired of thinking about how this m*ther freaker DISRESPECTED the judges and the OLYMPICS... :(

So I had to do something about it:
    [​IMG]

:D