1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronic: If Landry leaves, Joey Dorsey is the Rockets' solution

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Panda

Panda Member

Landry is no player without good knees that's for sure.

Landry is an important player with good knees for us that's for sure.

With his history, let's make sure he's got good knees before treating him as an important player.

The team as it is is an injury prone team. Why take more risks when the star players have been injury prone? It makes sense to add role players without worrying much about their injuries, and let the dice roll on the star players.

Without Yao we could win games 10 in a row, without Landry it wouldn't be too much different.

If one day we regret about not winning a ring over a backup pf's knees, it's the same day we are not to win a ring. Is Landry a missing piece of puzzle? Only with good knees.

I'm behind Morey on this. Check out Landry's knees and pay him accordingly. If not, bring on Hayes and Dorsey.

2. kwng

kwng Member

It's too optimistic to wish that Dorsey can be the solution, if Landry leaves.
    Dorsey can't make a freethrow to save his life (I can't believe there is anyone who can be worse than Hayes in FT) so he can't stay on court at crunch time to avoid "Hack-a-Joey". If he can't stay on court when we are at crunch time, he can't carry us to a win if we are trailing by one or two.

3. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you consider a roster with Mutombo, Hayes and Dorsey, it would be difficult to play any combination of that trio at the same time. All 3 have little offensive skills.

4. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

landry is pure energy off the bench, every team needs to have that. now for dorsey im pretty sure he can average atleast 6-7 points per game via t-mac, yao, ect. ect.

5. rockets_fanatic

That is true, however I don't epect a rookie to be on the floor at cunch time. And even if he is on the court, the only time the ball will be in his hands is to finish a wide open dunk. Hopefully the kid is strong enough to take the contact and still finish.

Ideally, we want Landry on this team, but if he isn't here we have to do the best with what we have.

6. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

i think we better start looking for a PF that can shoot...how about trading for Haslem? a perfect replcement.. :)

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This is yet another reason why the Landry standoff is absolutely killing our offseason. I want Landry back but in the event we are unable to resign him this is precisely the kind of play I would try to make. But again, time is working against us as long as this situation with Landry remains unresolved.

8. declan32001

declan32001 Member

As Clutch said in one of these Landry threads our situation appears to "the plan" all along. It's already made me eat some of my posts from a couple of months ago, but the bottom line is apparently Landry's upside (together with backing-up/sometimes playing with Scola) is a better value than anyone we could've lured with a 3 year MLE deal.

That stategy is highly debatable, but it's a gutsy call for a 2nd year GM who believes so much in statistical analysis.

Regarding Landry's knee-bump there was an article about Ahman Green's knee-bump last year in the Chronicle that just makes sense in Landry's scenario. Last season when he was under contract we could have forced him to undergo any kind of scope, but instead of shutting him down we needed him on the court ASAP.

Now if Morey has miscalculated this badly and Landry is damaged goods or has become too expensive to sign "for value" then we're going to be in trouble IMHO.

I still believe all of this is a smokescreen and Landry will be signed, but I'm still seeing this off-season as more of a gamble than I did before.

I do believe Adleman's second season will show improvement. I believe Barry's a good signing. I believe Scola will have a very good year. I hope Greene, AB & Dorsey become reliable rotation players. But along with the health issues I see us going in on thin ice in terms of our off-season "moves".

I'll still feel worse if we don't sign Landry.

9. aznhowie20

aznhowie20 Member

does anyone know if its landry's agent that is calling all the shots? (ie. not allowing doctors to examine his knees? holding out? etc...)

or is it landry not wanting to sign?

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

AMEN!!!

11. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Sounds more like the agent who's making all the noise, isn't it?

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Good post and I agree that in all likelihood we're subscribing to the "stand pat" plan. Just saying in the [hopefully]unlikely event we are unable to resign Landry I would like to see the MLE put to use and in terms of who is both available, realistic and can make an immediate impact J.R. Smith would be the best option.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

An MRI won't tell you the condition of the articulating cartilage - whether he is a risk for microfracture surgery or not. MRI will let you know if there are tears in the tendons/ligaments and whether there is inflammation.

For all those saying the scope request is a smokescreen, I continue to say that if Landry and Baker KNOW the knee is fine and this request is the difference between serious offers or lowballs, why refuse to get the scope? It's a pen-sized incision to insert a micro-camera to look at the surfaces of the bones. If everything's dandy, that's that.

I'm certain they're fearful of bald spots on the knee. Get the money, then take a look. Don't tell me this BBS wouldn't be at arms if we give Landry $5.5M per just to miss the next season and a half. Jumping deep into luxury tax on a gamble makes little sense - it's not just the additional wasted money, it's the hindrance it puts on our roster moves. Be stupid with your money and you end up like the NY Knicks.

I'd present this to him:
    No scope, we sign you to 2 years at $1.5M per.
    Take the scope and it comes out great, we sign you to 3 years at $3.5M per with a player opt-out after 2 years if you think you'll be worth more once we've got full Bird rights.

Evan

14. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Man I totally forgot about the Brent Barry signing because of all this BS from Buddy Baker.

This Rockets team WILL win the Title this year.

But the path to the Title would be easier if Landry signed with us.

15. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I thought I was the only one. It is just stupid to put Chronic over and over again.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree. The word Chronicle should be printed.

17. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Good post. My thoughts exactly.

18. Carlos Nice

Carlos Nice Rookie

AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAHA !!!!!

19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

we NEED a healthy Landry for any supposed title run--he is too explosive on offense, defense and heart!! You can't replace that

20. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I re-read the posts leading up to the comment, and I see they were talking about Dorsey, not Landry. Talking about Dorsey, you don't have to use an exception (you sign them to the rookie scale) to sign a first round pick, but 2nd round picks are different.

When he was talking about, if they didn't use the MLE, they could only sign Dorsey to a max of 2 years, he must have been thinking of either the bi-annual or the minimum salary exceptions - those can only be used for contracts up to 2 years.

If they sign Dorsey using one of those two exceptions, after 2 years he would be an RFA, and we would have Early Bird rights, which means we could re-sign him for up to 175% of his previous contract. If a team signed him to an offer sheet for more than that, we would have to use the MLE if we weren't under the cap (ha ha ha ha!), to keep him.

If, as Bimathug suggests, we use the MLE and sign him for 3 years, at that point we would have full Bird rights, and he would be an RFA.