1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will China Become Another Superpower? No

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by A_3PO, Jul 27, 2008.

1. maud'dib

maud'dib Rookie

no but i heard google have a good shot at taking over the world.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The very existence (and vulnerability) of the Hong Kong/mainland tether has been a closely guarded secret for some time. Obviously, the second the PRC found out about it really gave them the upper hand in cajoling the Brits to hand over HK or be detached, which would have been extremely inconvenient given that the good street markets and great hotels like the Peninsula are on the Kowloon peninsula side and not on the island. Now that Republic of China military has gotten intel on the tether it's enough to send PLA men scurrying to hardware stores across the world to investigate various means of reinforcing it.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

This could very well be a job for the Sea Org.

4. SamFisher

Militarily sensitive information below:

[​IMG]

5. KingCheetah

Very good, your graphic clearly shows the tether to Kowloon -- I shall pass on to my associates at once.

6. SamFisher

I would be remiss if I didn't discuss the potential consequences of the tether. If PRC forces reinforce the tether TOO much, there is a chance that the tether will not break but instead yank off Kowloon AND the New Territories if too much tension is applied by ROC naval forces. Then PRC will be stuck with shoddily constructed Shenzen - which is the Oakland to HK's San Francisco - that would be a major blow.

7. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

Operation New Hong Kong has begun ~ prepare as necessary.

8. SamFisher

^Good placement King - this has the potential to outdraw the Kemah boardwalk.

9. KingCheetah

Once Taiwan is in place the Kemah boardwalk will be an after thought -- like Moody Gardens.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Guys, if you don't mind, can we have some discussion on the subject matter of the article?

11. bucket

bucket Member

It's the article's fault for leaving these important plans out.

My guess? In thirty years, China will commence operation "Let the Rural Elderly Die" and GDP growth will slow but not collapse.

12. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

Please explain how Taiwan and Hong Kong moving into the Gulf of Mexico off the Texas coast is not relevant to the conversation.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree, while China will have major health problems it benefits from the fact that there is nothing the people can do about it. In other words, it can get away with a lousy system and let people die and to some degree, every developing nation needs that because the mega weight of a health system would never allow any country to grow. In fact, it might be why the U.S. can no longer compete - because of expensive health and pensions programs.

China will develop that when it's people demand it - and I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

The large population is a huge boon. Not only an endless supply of cheap labor, but also you have a mass production of scientists and engineers. A potent 1-2 punch. As for the aging of the population, again, it won't matter because the state won't carry the burden, it just will provide less. The people will suffer, not the growth.

Even the remaining hundreds of millions of people will be well enough to power the economic engine.

I just find it hilarious not to think that China and INdia won't be the dominent economic powerhouses in 30 years. Even more likely is that you have an Asian "EU" develop that would make the G8 look like a joke.

I mean, how do you have Italy and Canada in the G8 but not China and India?

The world just doesn't get the shift that's about to happen.

14. SamFisher

wow- looks like Corpus Christi is going to have access to a lot of semiconductors in the near future. The Rio Grande Valley may become the new Silicon Valley.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You might surprised by what the "people demand" in China as time moves forward. They aren't robots who only do what they are told and never complain about anything. Each day, the government becomes more accountable to the populace. While there is a long long way to go, the government won't be able to ignore the plight of it's older citizens in the future.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thank god. Kemah has never been the same since Fertitta bought it and attempted to morph the old, lazy, wonderful place it used to be into a pathetic Six Flags grafted onto a Walmart, for people from out of town, with sucky Landry's "seafood" in your face everywhere you turn. I welcome New Hong Kong's tether to Texas. Maybe we'll get some decent food again. I've been to Hong Kong, enjoyed it, and can't wait for the Bolivar Ferry to start service soon. :cool:

Impeach Fertitta.

17. WNBA

WNBA Member

The author is right on: China will never be a superpower. IMO, that is actually good for China. Chinese have been living this way on this planet for 5000 years while all other superpowers died down. The Great Wall built on the mountains never worked but the wall built in the minds of Chinese never collapsed. I think China's first priority is to survive. Let others to worry about rankings.

18. SamFisher

You might also want to pass this one along - it is the only known photograph detailing the tether's whereabouts, which are a closely guarded secret.

[​IMG]

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know, with so many impoverished people, it will be a long time. China is not the first country to go through this, in fact, many nations, including the U.S. and Briton - went through rough industrialization cycles with poor health care and environment.

Since China has no OSHU, no liability insurance, no mass litigation, no means for a sick individual to gain retribution - i doubt there is any real cost.

I think people's priorities are understandably on gaining wealth and prosperity - and the masses are willing to put up with the pollution for jobs and a pay check....and probably national pride.

20. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Considering how much of the U.S. debt is owned by China, we better hope they're super power pretty soon.

As far as creativity, the Mainland movie industry is actually very CREATIVE and ARTISTIC. it's just less commercial imo. The entertaining for the masses movies usually are done by the Hongkong. The U.S. has Kungfu Panda, the Chinese makes Infernal Affairs, the Raise of Red Laterns, Kung Fu, God of Cookery, Crouching Tiger, 和你在一起 (don't know the english name, being with you is the correct translation) and etc.