1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Obama was muslim would you vote for him?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jul 14, 2008.

?

Would you vote for him?

1. Yes

118 vote(s)
    69.0%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. da1

da1 Member

Dude what's your deal? Human beings are human beings, who cares what religion they are? There are extremists in every religion but if you go to a Muslim country, you will see that just like here, most people are good, hard-working people who just want to take care of their families. One bad apple makes the rest look bad.

2. LScolaDominates

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mKxnaMeOK20&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mKxnaMeOK20&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:confused:

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

LScola --

that's not my faith. i can't get to the spanish inquisition through the life or words of Christ. the assumptions that were the foundation of the spanish inquisition are foreign to my faith.

4. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I suppose I should have anticipated an example from the 1400's....

but I didn't expect the spanish inquisition!

5. MadMax

it is next to impossible for me to understand literal translation of the bible...how do you apply a concept like "literal translation" to Pslams -- a set of poems, some of which are clearly to be set to music? or the fact that Psalms are prayers to God...not authority from on high to do this or do that.

there are some books/letters in the bible where that would lend themselves more to literal translation...like those that claim to be historical narratives...or letters of instruction from Paul. but the point is, they books aren't written by the same author, at the same time, with the same purpose. it's not meant to be an instruction manual...and i'm not sure it's meant to be entirely exhaustive. i don't want to minimize it, either...because clearly for me to say it's influential to me would be an understatement.

but the Koran purports to be something different...and as Ehsan demonstrated, that's the way Muslims are to interpret it....AS I UNDERSTAND IT. So I need help when I hit certain passages that scare the ever-living dog crap out of me and someone says, "we are meant to take this all literally in the here and now."

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Wow, Clutch let you back :eek:.

8. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Perfect, waiting for your quote.

9. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Bla bla bla. I'm sure the moderators are fully aware of this Mr. Genius. lol As if you've made some huge discovery. Bravo.

Random crap? That is ONE attrocity committed in the name of ONE religion that I posted for you. It is not a civil war AT ALL.

Oh and this is not a revenge thing. You claimed that most attrocities are committed int he name of Islam while neglecting the fact that we are 1 BILLION people so we are STATISTICALLY more likely to have nutcases. Not to mention that the atrocities I mentioned come from a group of less than 15 MILLION people.

Fact of the matter is that you are wrong in that Islam is responsible for terror.

Keep your blinders on. Keep believing the stuff you believe. The real world exists outside of CNN and Al Jazira.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Then explain the list I posted above. This is terror and murder around the world - what is the common link between these terrorist acts? They were committed in the name of Islam. You cannot deny that.

11. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Well, don't get me wrong Max. There ARE examples, predictions, there is guidance and there are instances where metaphors may be used. There are things related to finance, marriage, work, science etc... But for the MOOOST part, the Qura'an is a book on the laws of Allah's kingdom.

12. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Just because they claim that it's in the name of Islam, doesn't mean Islam made them do it or is responsible for them doing it.

Just because someone shoots his classmates in the name of Eminem, doesn't mean Eminem thinks it's right or supports it happening.

Can you see this?

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

1) I haven't seen thousands and thousands of people around the world being killed in the name of Eminem.

2) If a rapper preaches intolerance and hate and someone shoots someone becaues of it, the link is clear. The common link between all the terrorist acts I listed is that those who committed them claim to have acted in the name of Islam. The link is clear.

3) You keep downplaying the terrorist acts committed in the name of Islam. Not only those people committed them. There is more. I saw Muslim people around the world celebrating 9/11. It's not just those 20 or so people. There is something fundamentally wrong with the religion - or the way it is interpreted in many parts of the world nowadays - itself.

14. MadMax

You're awesome! Thank you! I'll get to it a bit later.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And there were many many many more Muslims condemning 9/11. Even one leg of the Axis of Evil, Iran, was calling for prayers and blood donations for the US. Seriously people trot this out to make it seem like Muslims as a block where celebrating 9/11. The truth is that a numerically minuscule amount of Muslims worldwide celebrated 9/11 compared to the amount that were shocked and condemned it.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except you are still forgetting that many of the acts you listed weren't done in the name of Islam as the PLO is a secular group. If you are arguing that the Munich Olympics is an example of terrorism committed in the name of Islam you might as well say the bombing of Herrods by the IRA is an example of terrorism commited in the name of Catholocism.

17. Chamillionaire

ain`t that the truth.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Well, go ahead and subtract half of the terrorist acts I listed. My point still stands.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am not saying that all Muslims in the world or even a majority of them agree with acts like these. However, the mere fact that a constant stream of terror attacks is committed in the name of Islam keeps happening (and that they are celebrated by more than a few lunatics) clearly indicates that there is a severe problem inherent in the religion as it is interpreted and practiced today by many.

20. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Seriously you're kidding right?

1) Islam has more fans than Eminem.

2) No, all that's clear is the shooter got a gun and pulled the trigger. THere are bad influences anywhere, and people will generally choose the easiest/weakest target to blame.

3) I don't care. I don't believe in purposeless civillian death, and neither does my religion. However, if God descended upon me and assured me completely that I am in the presence of the lord, and he told me to kill a dog, I would. Not that Allah would demand something like that, but I'm saying that whoever the heck you are, if your lord and creator tells you to do something, you're going to do it. Unless you're atheist, I assume this applies to you too right?