1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Divisional Realignment in the WC and Renaming

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by cjstukenholtz, Jul 22, 2008.

1. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

Now that the Sonics are leaving Seattle and moving to Oklahoma City, it only seems appropriate to move teams from one division to another, and change the name of the Northwest division to the Rocky Mountain Division since two of the current teams are in the Rocky Mountain states and time zone with one other team joining the division that is in the Mountain time zone during the time period that the national time is standard rather than daylight, and with a team leaving it that would be the only team left in the Pacific time zone.

As far as the teams involved in changing divisions, there are only two I have in mind. One of them is the Portland Trailblazers since they would be the only team left in the Pacific Northwest. I would move them to the Pacific Division. The other team I have in mind in moving to the newly named Rocky Mountain Division are the Phoenix Suns, since they are not geographically located close to the Pacific Ocean, but in a state where the time is Mountain time during the period of standard time, but Pacific during daylight. In the end, what I'm talking about is a swap of just two teams switching divisions with each other. The Southwest Division would remain unchanged. Here's what my alignment idea would look like in the two changed divisions with the Sonics having left Seattle to move to Oklahoma City, and perhaps becoming the Thunder.

Rocky Mountain Division (Formerly Northwest)
    Denver Nuggets
    Minnesota Timberwolves
    Oklahoma City Thunder
    Phoenix Suns
    Utah Jazz

Pacific Division
    Golden State Warriors
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Portland Trailblazers
    Sacramento Kings​
    Anyone have any other ideas of divisional alignment? I don't see any other realignment possible in the EC or even the Southwest division unless there was expansion, which is something I'm no advocate of in any of our major professional sports due to talent being severely watered down in all of them.

2. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

I thought this was official...

3. playlife

playlife Member

Hahaha.....me too

4. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

Just the Sonics move to Oklahoma City. I know the changing of the team's nickname is in the works, but I'm just waiting for league approval on that one.

I've heard no plans of the league doing divisional realignment in light of the Sonics' relocation.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

NBA divisions do not matter.

The Rockets played the Lakers just as many times as they played the Mavs this year.

6. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

They do matter when it comes to tiebreakers for playoff seeding.

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I thought it was official that no realignment was happening.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

That was what Stern said before the move. That no matter which city the team formerly known as the Sonics ended up in the divisions wouldn't change.

9. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

I would hope he would realign. Seems like the logical way

10. automorph

automorph Member

Houston should be in the East :D

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Which is a very minimal effect.

And hardly enough to justify "rivalries" or "big games" like they can be in the NFL or the MLB.

I think the NBA either needs to make an unbalanced schedule, to promote rivalries, or just get rid of divisions all together so we can have a fair 1-8 playoff seeding.

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

They should just go back to two divisions per conference. Make the division champ actually meaningful. The way it is now, without an unbalanced schedule, being in these different divisions don't even make much difference. Except in the case of a watered down division winner sneaking into a top 4 playoff berth.

13. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I'm with you on that one. All of the other three major professional sports put on a heavy emphasis on divisional play with their scheduling. Heck, even the Arena Football League emphasizes divisional play with its scheduling.

If we were to ever see the Phoenix Suns in the same division with the Utah Jazz with unbalanced scheduling, there would be a pretty heated rivalry between those two teams. I can remember that rivalry being pretty well established as far back as the early 1990s.

14. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

Luckily, we haven't seen a team get in the playoffs just by winning its division, but only had at least the 9th best record in its conference. I still think it could happen with the balanced schedule the NBA has.

Just think, in 1994, if not for the season-ending players' strike in MLB, we would have seen a sub-.500 team make the playoffs (would have been a first time ever in that major professional sport) because of it winning its division when scheduling was balanced that year.

15. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

wouldnt oklahoma fit better in the southwest division only because of were theyre located

16. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

Yes, they would, but the only problem is there are already five teams that I couldn't see fit in other divisions within the WC geographically. With no expansion, there would be no moving teams over to the EC.

As long as there are 30 teams in the league, and it being broken down into two conferences with three divisions in each one, I'm sure the league intends to have 5 teams in each division, period.

17. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

I wonder how good the jersey sales would be outside of OKC for the "Thunder"...is it just me or NBA is turning sissy and corrupted......just like Dallas

18. Pocket Rockets

actually they played the lakers only 3 times where as they played the mavs 4 times.

19. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Trying to find the article where I heard about Stern NOT realigning the Western Conference, I found this from April...

I like that for us! :)

20. cson

cson Contributing Member

Divisions are for gayrods