1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HD TV Question...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROXRAN, Jul 21, 2008.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I just got with the 21st century and bought a HD plasma TV...I have Direct TV. I have not yet did the HD upgrade...But plan to...If a sporting broadcast is advertised as "in HD", does that mean I get HD reception now as it is?

I appreciate any answers. Thanks...

2. JD2010

JD2010 Member

Nope, because your receiver is not an HD box.
    Just SD.
    Correct me if im wrong.

3. ROXRAN

True, that is what I was afraid of...Time to hurry and upgrade.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

You'll need the HD receiver, and will need to be upgraded to the 5-LNB dish if you don't already have one.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Depending on what it is you might have to buys some extra channels or packages. But you will need a HD receiver to get any HD at all.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

He just said he bought an HD TV, so it must be either HD-ready (tuner not included, but can show it), or HD-integrated (tuner is included, so no need for set-top box or additional tuner). :eek: So... he CAN watch HD without cable.
    With just RABBIT-EARs amplified antenna, you can catch ABChd 13.1 (NBA), CBShd 11.1 (Golf, Tennis, March Madness, etc.), FOXhd 27.1 (NASCAR, MLB, NFL, etc.) , PBShd 8.1 (special shows, Nova, Austin City Limits, etc.), and NBChd 2.1 (Olympics, Sunday Football in America - NFL, Wimbledon, etc.), My20HD (Astros, Rockets, etc.) and WB Sporting Broadcasts in High Definition. You may get away with some Spanish-speaking channels pretty soon.

In short, you can watch some sports without Cable in HD with an over-the-air antenna. :cool:

In comparison with cable, getting the HD reception with your local antenna is much better, but with cable and satellite packages, you get 24-hr HD channels.

Still, I was able to watch local HD (no cable or satellite) for a long time before I stepped up to the satellite/cable plate.

7. ROXRAN

Cool...That may be what I was hoping for before the Fall (when I definitely need to upgrade)...

8. JD2010

JD2010 Member

oh my bad, yeah that's true.
    but he said he had directv so i didn't think he was interested in the rabbit ears.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dude upgrade now!
    people say this and they never upgrade.

a friend of mine got a HDTV and a bluray player. he has dish, said he was going to upgrade soon and does the ghetto thing by switching from antenna to dish when he wants to watch local hd. so this means he hasn't upgraded in a year.

also the bluray player is a waste cause they only rent dvds.

you'll end up like them dude. don't buy the ferrari and leave it in your house.
    you got it let it do what its suppose to do.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Welcome to the new century....you will be blown away by the difference in HD sportscast quality.

DD

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

WTF? You don't need SPECIAL GAS to run the ferrari; this is a silly analogy even for you, t man. He can still drive the Ferrari and show it off to the friends... just not drive it in Beverly Hills... :p

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The ferrari doesn't like low octane (SD box).

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

What he said...

I can't stand watching anything but things on HD channels...With TW cable, that only means about 30 plus channels, but that's ok with me...