1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dorsey, Greene, Leunen SL wrap-up opinions, predictions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FR0497, Jul 20, 2008.

1. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

Great Post DaDakota - Very Good Analysis.

I would add just a bit to the following players

GREENE

Athleticism was great - Can take defender off the dribble WAY BEYOND his years. Finishes smoothly and with authority. When motivated (like last game vs. Kings) can play D and get steals with speed for breakaway finishes on the other end.

MAAAAAARTY

I heard someone call him a poor man's Dirk - may be a little strong - but you have to love this kid. Sweet shot, drives to the bucket and makes SMART decisions off the dribble. Did not force anything. He is a Keeper.

Brooks

Almost looked like he was bored out there. He seemed at times like he was by far the best player on the court and he knew it. I think we have a PG of the future here.

#41 zcity, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. poprocks

poprocks Member

As of now, assuming that Deke is brought back there is only one roster spot. The one vacated by Loren Woods. By the way, guess what? Brent Barry already took that roster spot.

We already signed Greene so that says a lot right there for Morey's plans for Greene. Leunen is good but we already signed Novak too. Only way he makes the team is if Novak were traded in a two for one deal along with either Head or BJax. I can see BJax getting traded along with one other player but we better be getting a darn good player in return.

We are missing a big man if we don't sign Deke. If we do sign him back we are ok at Center. I think we should sign Deke back but I also don't think that Morey will do anything with Deke until Landry is signed because Deke's salary depends on what Landry gets and how much money is left over. If we don't get Deke back, then I think Morey goes all out to sign another big man and then it's not gonna be someone we are currently playing in summerleague. We will for sure need a backup center.

What does this mean? Greene is on the team. Period. Everybody else? ummm not looking so good.

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I'll post my pictures and experiences in another thread when I get home and get all the pics loaded off my phone and camera but here are my thoughts on the four players that would be the most intriguing for the rockets (not brooks though)

Donte Greene:
    Pros: Very fluid offensively, he has a lots of moves of the dribble, in the post or can pull up real quick for the three. He has the talent and ability to score with the best of them in the league if he commits to getting to the basket and not settle all the times for jumpers. He plays the passing lanes decently as well.

cons: doesnt stay focused all the times. There was numerous times when one of the coaches would have to tell him where he needs to be on the court on certain plays. Granted that its just the beginning of SL and they are still probably learning plays so that didnt concern me too much. But for example at the end of the kings game yesterday Coach Sikma was telling telling both Maarty and Donte that if they get beat by their man just wrap the guy up. Maarty said ok but Donte sort of walked to the other end of the bench to talk to Dorsey and Rafer and Coach Sikma had to re-ask Donte if he got it. Donte replied, yeah I got it.

His handles...not all there yet, he has a lot of moves to break his man off the dribble but there were numerous times when he had the right move in mind to beat his mind but would lose handle of the ball trying to execute it

Defense...or lack thereof. Honestly his defense annoyed me greatly because it didnt seem liked he cared so much to play it. He would always easily get beat by his man off the dribble and we aren't talk about elite players blowing past him. This caused a lot of issues causing his teammates to help and creating easy baskets. He really needs to work on playing defense, he may need to get a bit stronger to do so but he has all the tools to be more than an average defender in the NBA if he chooses to work at it. He wont ever be a Battier but at the very least he shouldnt be a total liability on the court. He was during the summer league. This probably ties into the focus part of it. Its still really early and he is a kid (what 19,20?) so this may change as the rigors of the NBA season starts and he starts being around the team and seeing their focus.

Joey Dorsey:
    Pros: As advertised defensively was playing great rotating defense and man defense on the perimeter. Was talking a lot out there to where he should be, someone else should be how to handle the Pick and Roll and rotations. He got some cheap fouls on blocks that were actually going to be clean but he had to adjust because of one his teammates being in his way when he timed his jump. He has great anticipation and reach when it comes to blocking shots. Great rebounder, huge hands usually if its in his area he'll come out of a crowd with the ball.

Cons: As bad as Greene is on defense, thats Joey on the offensive side. He has a limited post up game and will get a lot of points on put backs, feeds underneath (similar to chuck hayes) he was left wide open on the perimeter a lot. He has such a wide body that its a shame because he sets good screens but no one will respect his roll right away since he is far out of his range. His man to man defense in the post wasnt as good as I thought it would be, this is where his lack of height probably hurts him the most. The guy is like 6'8-6'9 going against near 7 footers. Will need to work on this aspect of defense the most.

Maarty Leunen:
    Pros: Maarty Maarty Maarty! Offensively the most consistent and impressive imo of the summer league. Solid stroke for a man his size extending out to the 3. Utilizes fakes very well to get open, will take man off dribble if needed but prefers to take jumpers instead, but still can finish well around the rim. Good rebounder but will not go out his area to get rebounds very much a position rebounder. Felt very comfortable in the offense this could be because he was playing with Aaron Brooks (whom he played 3 years of college ball with) but he knew his spots to be and made the correct passes. Wasnt afraid to take the shots at the end of the game, hitting two clutch threes.

Cons: Defensively he was over matched several times. Stronger than Novak but still gets abused down low. Lack of athleticism hurt when going for rebounds despite having good position. Late on rotations. Hard to find much since i had little to no expectations for Maarty and he played so well. Defense needs the most work though.

Gustavo Barrera:
    Pros: To me the most intriguing player on this year's team. Ran the point very well. Showed great handles and could handle the ball with pressure on him. Always had his head on a swivel looking around seeing where passing lanes may develop. Made some great drives and dishes, good court vision. Solid stroke will need to develop to be more consistent. Not afraid to try to get in for rebounds and help defend larger players. Creative with the ball in the open court. Better court awareness defensively than one would think too, he would be good at rotatiing. At one point in the denver game i believe he pushed Donte in the back to help Donte close out on the shooter.

Cons: Carries the ball/palms a lot on his dribbles after the pick was called a few times for it. Also will make a decision to pass late at times or when in the air resulted in a travel call and a turnover. For a PG he doesnt talk too much on the court. Not very quick laterally and was getting beat off the dribble because of that. Gambled way too much got caught for some over the back fouls going too aggressive for rebounds on the offensive glass and trying for steals or charges when out of position.

Barrera may not make it in the NBA this year or the next but if he works on his game he probably will he has the talent. Hopefully his play warranted him a pre-season/training camp invite if he is able to attend.

Pictures and other stuff about the players in the recap thread I'll start later tonight.

4. blender

blender Member

Great post, Yoyo. Really enjoyed it.

5. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

Barrera and Dorsy should be signed. One is a worthy backup for Rafer / AB; the other is a backup center for Yao. Both positions are sorely needed.

Barrera is like a taller, slower version of Jose Calderon. He can be a very good combo guard with his ball handling skills, shooting touch and creativity. He impressed me the most.

It's such a shame that Lunen has to play somewhere else now. He shoots lights off, but he need to improve his rebounding and defense to be NBA ready PF.

Donte is a volume shooter, but there aren't enough balls around with TMAC and YAO. However, if he plays more consistently, Rocket should consider signing him for the next season.

6. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Donte IS signed for next season. He is a 1st round pick afterall.

It is Dorsey that needs a contract and it all hinges on signing Laundry 1st, to make room on MLE to sign him to a 3 year deal. (no more 1 yr goofs like with Laundry).

7. Zfan

Zfan Member

While everyone is talking about Donte Greene, I would like to take a look at Dorsey. I thought Dorsey will be the first player to break into rotation in the coming season.
    Dorsey is surely ready for NBA. I don't think RA will send him to D-league. He's muscle, hustle and rebound will help. Woods gone, he'll earn some minutes as a backup C. You may say he didn't show something special in the past 5 SL games. But who cares? Landry was no special in last SL, but he eventually proved his ability. Dorsey is like Landry at this point. He dosen't need to prove himself in SL.

8. poprocks

poprocks Member

Why not just makes some trades and package up some of our rookies and fringe players for Francisco Elson? Am I the only one that thinks that Dorsey is about the same as Jackie Butler?

9. flipmode

flipmode Member

leunen?! 5/11 from downtown? is this guy for real or what? :D

looking at the roster, i'd give up head for leunen.
    wait a minute... hehehehehehe man that joke never gets old.

10. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

YES IT DOES

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Yes, I think you are...

12. SpiderPig-Man

SpiderPig-Man Member

Thanks for the great analysis, Yoyo. I did not catch any of the games that Joey Dorsey played, but he had a pretty good statline. Was he scoring off of pick and rolls/cutting, or was it more of grabbing offensive rebounds and dunking/layup? Did he try any post-up moves?