1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Las Vegas Review Journal] Rockets rookie Greene scores some recognition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Jul 20, 2008.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

Jul. 20, 2008
    Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal

Rockets rookie Greene scores some recognition

By STEVE CARP
    REVIEW-JOURNAL

True, Donte Greene was was a first-round draft pick, but not many people outside of Baltimore and central New York state knew who he was when the NBA Summer League began play last week.

But Greene, drafted No. 28 out of Syracuse, has emerged from the shadows with four strong games in Las Vegas.

With the summer league set to wrap up today, the 6-foot-9-inch Houston Rockets rookie small forward has averaged 22.8 points per game -- second only to Portland rookie guard Jerryd Bayless (27.7).

However, Greene still must learn to defend at the NBA level.

Otherwise, Greene is going to give up as much at one end as he scores at the other, and that probably would earn him a lot of time seated near Rockets coach Rick Adelman.

"That's why I'm here, to learn and get better," said Greene, a Baltimore native. "But I feel like I've played well. I'm just trying to work hard and learn the offense."

Houston traded for Greene because of his ability to create his own offense and finish.

In his first game Monday against Phoenix at the Thomas & Mack Center, Greene had 36 points through three quarters and finished with 40.

Though he hasn't come close to matching that initial effort, Greene scored in double figures in each of his next three games. He had 17 points against Cleveland and 19 against Denver. On Saturday, he struggled to score 15 on 5-for-19 shooting in an 80-75 overtime loss to Washington.

"It was just one of those days. Everyone has 'em. But I'm not tired or anything. I'll bounce back," said Greene, who will get his chance to rebound when Houston (2-2) plays Sacramento at 5:30 p.m. today at the Thomas & Mack.

A second-team All-Big East selection last season, Greene averaged 17.7 points as a freshman for Syracuse. He left college after one year, thinking he was ready for the NBA.

Few teams agreed with him. He slipped to No. 28 as Memphis took him and then traded him to Houston for Darrell Arthur, who was taken at No. 27.

Greene has played angry in Las Vegas this week, determined to show the teams that passed on him that they made a mistake.

"I came to Vegas with a chip on my shoulder," Greene said. "I felt I had a lot to prove to a lot of people who overlooked me, and it feels good to have played well here."

Contact reporter Steve Carp at scarp@ reviewjournal.com or 702-387-2913.

2. pople

pople Member

Greene looked horrible last night. He jacked up shots like crazy. The times I saw him try to drive, he turned the ball over (doesn't seem to have much of a handle). I recognize that he has potential, but without a more disciplined game, I don't expect him to see much playing time this year.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

nice assessment. he has all the tools. he just needs to polish and develop them.

i don't see him playing much in his first year either. i give a better chance to dorsey of cracking the rotation.

4. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

After his 40 pt game, everyone jumped on the bandwagon...even after the two recent lackluster games

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well the 40 point game was one hell of a first impression.

since then we have seen a more realistic view of what he will bring this season. however, he sure showed that he has a ton of potential to tap into.

6. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Another good thing is he is only 19 - plenty of growth potential ahead of him, as long as he is willing to learn, not just talk about learning.

7. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I just hope the Rox won't pull a stupid like they did to MoTaylor once the preseason games start.

8. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

I'm not sure why people expect him to have great handles. The guy is 6'9". Not everyone can be Lamar Odom or TMAC.

9. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

haha... lamar odom does not have good handles.. he's kinda like antoine walker.. dribbling with one hand.. looking incompetent and watching the ball as he goes...OK, not as bad as that.. but still not good like TMAC

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree, so did the other teams defensive schemes. I think he'll play this year, but not in the beginning of the season. He's just too talented and Adelman will find a way to harness him. With the injury history of this franchise, he'll get some clock at some point.

11. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Yeah, Greene needs to improve in several areas.

But remember Landry last year in the SL? Yeesh.

The great thing about Adelman is if rooks can show they do some things well in practice then they'll get a shot. We'll see Greene this year.

12. kupogrey

kupogrey Member

You gotta figure that he got more attention on the defensive end after making such a splash in his first game.

Scoring 40 points in a game WILL get you noticed FAST. :)
    Coaches most likely made a point to focus in on greene

13. vator

vator Contributing Member

Keep this in mind, during summer league most teams don't really coach the players as far as skill development and X's and O's. They run a few plays and let the players play because they want to see what they have. They want to see a guy's strengths and weaknesses so they can see what they need to work on to make improvements to their game. So what you have here is a very talented kid who is one year removed from high school who had the ability to come in and drop 40 points on 20 shots in his first professional contest. He followed that up with a poor shooting game, another solid game, and then another poor shooting game. Also consider the fact they are playing these games in consecutive days(including tonight, 5 games in 7 days). You are seeing the rawest, uncoached, and possibly even somewhat mentally and physically fatigued version of Donte Green who need I remind you looks head and shoulders better than Carl Landry did at this same time last year.

Don't get too up or down about him just yet because they haven't even started the process of "fixing" him yet. This is the Syracuse version of Green. Wait until he gets some weight training and coaching in him before you judge him, but I think he has exceeded expectations. He has shown that he has the tools to contribute if he can catch on fast whereas many were saying it would take him several years. I'm encouraged by what I have seen. Can he get better, hell yeah and that isn't a bad thing at all.

Also it should be noted that he has performed better than several of the people drafted much higher than him like Joe Alexander of the Bucks to name one and several highly touted second year up and comers like Thad Young of the Sixers.

14. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Green must learn to play D first if he is going to get on the court. This is the main reason Tmac developed and played at an early aged due to his D.

15. hollywoodo

hollywoodo Member

he lacks that focus. kinda like tmac in the first half. sorta just waitin for the time to actually play. when the 2nd half hits, tmac is the superstar that the rox are payin 20mil a year. greene had that focus in the first game after earning a contract...but now is playin like its the 1st half...which is what summer league is afterall.

16. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

After qualifying for the Olympics with German team Greene need some recognition

[​IMG]

17. robby_33

robby_33 Member

hah, that photo makes Dirk look like he'd dwarf Yao!

look at Kaman who's 7foot, and Dirk looks like he's 7-7!!

(I know, he's just jumping into the hudle... i guess he would be excited, getting into the Olympics)