1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao scores 16, grabs 7 rebounds against Angola

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by giordun, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

You think the World (i.e. more than just the USA) cares more about the NBA than whoever wins the Olympics? Come on dude....the NBA isn't even the top sport in this country.

We knew the rules of the game when we drafted Yao. Personally, if the Olympics were in my country for the first time and I was the countries main attraction, I would surely care about that a whole lot more than playing in some foreign league.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Those games are not meaningless. The west is extra tough this year and almost every win could be important. We can't afford another slow start. One losing streak and it could be over. 22 game winning streaks don't happen all the time.

3. Porkylicious

Porkylicious Member

4. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Oh, the World. Yeah, the one we live in where basketball is the fasting growing international sport... Where people all over are becoming more knowledgeable about the game and going back to the all-time greats to compare their national heroes to.

Haven't you seen some of the posts from people from the former Soviet Union that credibly argue that Sabonnis was a top five all-time center? Who do you think they're comparing him to? Iglauskas (sp)?

And do you really think that the Chinese fans here are going to compare Yao any differently should they actually win an Olympic bronze medal, 4 years from now, because of national pride? No way.

For worse, (IMHO) the NBA is going to remain the measuring stick of who's considered to be the best players in the World for quite awhile.

Ever heard an Argentine player on the national team say: "We're better than the Americans"? No, because they know that a gold medal in the Olympics is hopelessly secondary to a generation of players that are rightfully chasing millions (and listening to their agents) and an American public that would yawn if we blew out the World by 25 points throughout every FIBA competition.

Yao's legacy (including the World [probaly even millions of Chinese people] & 2/3rd's the world's hoopheads) will be based on what he does in the NBA where the best of everything (basketball related) is shoved in his face (NBA max guy, (big monetary investment) where he has a team with a resonable chance for ultimate glory.

The CNT has learned much since Yao was drafted, but they still are years away from affording him that opportunity. I'm sure that Yao's persona and image is more important to the Chinese government than any NBA title, but I'd bet Chinese basketball fans don't feel that way.

Yao is historic (jeez, Les was right about something), but he's a great basketball player and as such he belongs to the World.

P.S. If I've offended any Chinese person here, that was the opposite of my intent.

5. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

Man people need to learn to read. No one said Yao SHOULD care more about the Rockets than the CNT. Similarly, why are people getting their p anties in a bunch when a Rockets fan selfishly hopes that CNT loses early so that Yao doesn't get to play more games and thus increase the chances of getting himself hurt.

As for which is more important? NBA or International BBall? Obviously, NBA is. Most true basketball fans (US or elsewhere) can barely name three players in the Spanish team who won the World championship but they will definitely be able to name quite a few Celtic players. Thats the fact. Deal with it.

6. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

7. pryuen

Highlights of Yao Ming's play in this game

<div><object id="ssss" width="480" height="370" > <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /> <embed pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://vhead.blog.sina.com.cn/player/outer_player.swf?auto=0&vid=15081306&uid=1365354450" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="ssss" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="480" height="370"></embed></object></div>

The brave rally of the national team in the last 5 minutes in 4Q when they were 14 points behind (65 vs 51)

<div><object id="ssss" width="480" height="370" > <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /> <embed pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://vhead.blog.sina.com.cn/player/outer_player.swf?auto=0&vid=15077551&uid=1365354450" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="ssss" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="480" height="370"></embed></object></div>

8. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Wow, it looks like it is indeed possible to foul Yao.

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

um i think yao knows his team has no chance. he's already done his country proud coming back from injury and representing his country in front of arguably the biggest stage of sports. sometimes it's NOT about winning.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

basketball-wise yes, i think his imapct in the NBA will have a more lasting impact than his international/olympic career.

you're only remembered if you win against the best and NBA boasts the best basketball talent in the world. sabonis did well internationally but did anyone outside of hardcore fans remember? barkley, ewing, malone, stockton all won gold medals but does anyone care? no, we all remember they didn't win a ring though.

i'm sure yao cares about the olympics more. but to the world, his impact/winning/dominance in the NBA will define him moreso than any international competition.

11. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Yao should defect after this Olympics - stay our of China for a few years - then defect back after he's had a couple summers off, ready to train for the next Summer Olympics.

12. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

'stay OUT of China', rather...

13. FFz

FFz Member

Haha Yao is so animated even during these exhibition rounds. I love it! Go kick some ass big man!

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You should post more often. It's a very good point that you've made.

15. pryuen

As patriotic a guy as Yao Ming, that would NEVER EVER happen.

He had reiterated numerous times in the past, Houston is only his second home, a place where he works. Shanghai in China is his home.

And in the press conference back in April when he returned to China for some Chinese medicine treatment, when a Chinese reporter mistakenly asked him when he is returning back to USA, he immediately rebuked and corrected the guy: "It is not returning back to the United States, but it is going to the United States. Remember, back to China but going to the United States." “不是回美国,是去美国。回中国,去美国。”

16. opticon

opticon Member

He does look fired up! I hope he caries this passion over to next season. He looks alot more mobile then I thought he would.

17. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

I know Yao is dedicated. I was only joking about defecting.

He needs to have a serious talk with his National team staff about getting some rest over the next few Summers after this Olypmics, I think.

18. Tmaco

Tmaco Member

19. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Those blocks were really exciting. Particularly the 2nd block when some Angola player try to make a name and thought he could give Yao a posterized. That was the 2nd play in Pryuen's first video.

20. pryuen

Well alot of influential people connected with Chinese basketball had started to do so, for example Del Harris and Donny Nelson. They said as experienced and world-class player like Big Yao, he definitely does not need more than 1 month to practice and gel with the national team.

As a matter of fact, China stopped sending Yao to those Asian level games (like 2006 Asian Games and 2007 Asian Championship), and allowed Big Yao long period of rest and recreation during the past 3 summers. But alas......due to his injuries, all 3 summers were used for his rehabilitation mostly.

I would think the trend will continue that China will stop summoning for his services for those Asian level games, but will continue to demand for his services in the 2010 World Championship and the 2012 London Olympics.