1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You Can't....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Jul 18, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

1. Sign and trade Landry
    2. Its not possible to send a player to the d-league without it counting towards your roster space
    <br>
    I'm so tired of people not realizing these two things...
    <br>
    Feel free to post any more "revelations" as to what we can/cannot legally do according to NBA rules. Anything that people keep hinting at that has been repeated over and over again, POST IT HERE:

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Well you might as well explain why we can't sign and trade Landry. It's because you can't use the MLE in a sign and trade scenario. And since the Rockets are over the cap and don't have landry's bird rights (early or full), then the only way to sign and trade Landry is if we sign him to the minimum, which obviously isn't going to happen.

Of course this stipulation in the CBA isn't that well known and Landry is in kind of a unique situation since he's a free agent in his sophomore year who's worth a decent deal, so I wouldn't be that hard on guys who don't know the rule and aren't checking out the boards for clarification all the time.

3. onethreeeleven

Could you have picked a less descriptive title?

4. bratna8

bratna8 Member

We can sign him to a minimum if he wants to be traded. :cool:

5. neuop

neuop Member

maybe w have to

6. luhbron

luhbron Member

I don't believe in the word "can't."

7. lpbman

lpbman Member

Fantastic.
    I've believed there are seven consecutive zeros in my bank statement for years now.... but for some reason I can't buy a BMW.
    Some stupid rule about which side of the decimal place all the zeros are on...

8. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

Professor said professor said that that money should be properly invested - the reason you are having trouble obtaining that bmw

9. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

you can't have another thread about artest or trading tracy, or luther head sucking, or SF3 anything, or anything else there are more than 2 threads about. I know it's not in the NBA rules, but there my rules and they must be followed. :D :D

10. lpbman

lpbman Member

Yeah he can make a radio from coconuts but can't build a raft.... I don't believe everything the professor says.

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

IMHO amd technically speaking, the Rockets can SnT Landry. They have his Non-Bird Rights. The hangup is the max amount of using this type of signing. It has to be the greater of 120% of the previous salary (which was well under $1m) or 120% of the league minimum. And in either case, the raises are only 8%. In the latter case. Landry becomes a BYC player.

Odds are slim to none that Landry would take this route, but since we're being "picky" here...

12. Axwell

Axwell Member

First, I like Landry.
    But after thinking for days, I doubted.
    Is Landry SO necessary for Rockets? (It depends on the negotiation)

I DO believe that Francis is coming back!
    He is the first teacher of Yao.
    We chinese never forget the friends who have helped us.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agree with you. Instead of choosing a title that was on the subject, he's trying to bait people into opening the thread.

14. tested911

tested911 Member

After seeing how you can trade players away and get nothing in return I have no idea anymore LOL.. Seriously who would of thought that you can give players away with just swapping 2nd round draft picks.

15. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I think the OP was working under the impression that we're signing him for a portion of, if not the whole MLE. It's clearly stated in the salary cap FAQ that you can't sign and trade a player that you acquire using an exception, and I didn't see any loopholes for that.

Are you saying that since we have his Non-Bird Rights, that we could sign him for 120% of his previous salary or 120% of the league minimum without dipping into the MLE? If so, you're right in saying that it won't apply to Landry's situation. He'd never agree to that amount, and I hope that's not all that Morey would offer him.

But yeah, technically speaking, it sounds like we could sign and trade him. It's just not practical enough to really be an option, and it's definitely not what people have been referring to when they suggest a S&T.

16. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

When you're under the cap, you can pretty much do whatever you want.

17. killer instinct

You can after Dec. 15th right?

So you can, just not right now.

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    I don't know...I thought the title worked pretty well.
    I wasn't trying to "bait" people into the thread, but since it is a broad topic, i thought that a open title should be necessary.

19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    EXACTLY.
    Thank you...

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Look at every thread title on page 1. Your's is the only one that doesn't mention what the subject is about. "You Can't..." as a title is better translated "You Can't Know What This Thread is About Until You Click on it". The supposed broadness of your topic has nothing to do with it.

I'm not slamming you so much as just stating a fact. You're not the first person to do it. It think it's juvenile but that is my opinion only.