1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Camby 'insulted' by Clippers trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Illmatic, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Nene's barely played the last two years, and is coming off knee surgery. He's in the middle of a $60 million contract. Nobody wants any part of that guy.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

you'd think that someone might give a 2nd round pick for him. well...i guess isiah is gone so maybe not :D

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

No, I don't have a player running off from an illegal agreement that he and the team weren't supposed to agree to. I also don't feel like the team or player should have more leeway than the other. I just don't have an issue with players looking out for themselves when we all know the team will do so everytime. Especially when the player is essentially losing the average mans yearly salary for every game he misses when trying to protect his interests.

4. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Like I've said before, I also don't have any problem with a player looking out for his/her best interests. Do you at least have a problem w/ Boozer agreeing to an illegal agreement in the first place? It seems like some people (not necessarily you) are happy Boozer did what he did with absolutely no fault at all, like he's 'sticking it to the Man'.

And I know I've helped derail this thread...Back on track I'll also clarify that I think the Clippers should've been more tactful in Camby's release (although they are in no way obligated to). I think Camby is reading too much into some of the situation though...I don't see this as a 'scapegoat' move.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Then why bring up the business of the illegal contract? If you think he's morally allowed to do with whatever he can get away with to "look out for himself," then why bother with questioning the legitimacy of the promise? Isn't it beside the point?

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think Camby's reaction is understandable. It makes him feel like the Nuggets thought he was worthless (equaling only a potential 2nd round swap) and were blaming him for their problems. He has every right to voice his opinion, even if he's wrong. But like most people, I don't give a flip what Camby thinks about it. The Nuggets know the chemistry of that team needs to change, they needed to save money and they got a big trade exception in return.

7. coldsweat

coldsweat Member

i don't think he should feel that he was necessarily the scapegoat. i think the nuggets would have been just as eager to dump nene or kenyon, but who is going to take on their contracts? marcus camby, regardless of whether you perceive him to be a stellar defensive player or not, attracts attention around the leage because of his statistics. so if you have to dump a contract between the three, his is the only possible.

plus the nets were supposedly willing to give up sean williams, marcus williams, and expirings for camby. sean williams and is defensive beast (beasley learned his first lesson in the nba through him) and marcus williams still has potential as a point guard, proving that camby still has value. they could have taken it if luxury tax necessity didn't call for dumping a contract immediately.

8. coldsweat

coldsweat Member

sorry, forgot to add:

plus if you're the clippers you can play hardball with the nuggets. you know that you are one of the very few teams that can absorb a contract immediately due to being under the cap, so you can stay low with your offfer.

9. Asian Sensation

My life is sooo hard... I get paid 20 mil a year whaaa whaaaaaaa cry me a river.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

rich people aren't allowed to have feelings.

11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Brand opted out, right? he couldve gone anywhere

Didnt boozer have a team option and CLE let him go to hook him up with a long term deal?

loyalty will get you nowhere in sports...

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Camby's looking at this all the wrong way!

He should feel honoured that the's the only player on the Nuggets that anybody would trade for!

Nobody wants any part of Nene, Martin or Iverson and their contracts - so apart from Carmello (surely the Nugs wouldn't trade him) Camby is the second most marketable guy on the team.

Good on him for being a useful asset!
    Don't get insulted - revel in the fact that they couldn't even give you away for free - they even had to take back a 2nd round pick*

The big question for the Clippers is now: how many games will Kaman and Camby play at the same time?
    Camby is pretty well due for a big injury season - and Kaman thrives on that!

*pick won't come if Clippers record exceeds Nuggets

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I didn't bring up the illegal contract. Someone else did (about him breaking his word), and my response was his word on an illegal contract. I just don't see how a team can get mad at a player for being dishonest about the illegal contract that they agreed to.

I'm not trying to absolve him of blame. I'm saying pot meet kettle.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think he handled it kind of well. He realized that this is a business, and the Nuggets owe him no explanation. Both of which are true the moment he signed that contract.

I kind of feel for him, as there was absolutely no prior hint before the trade went down. But if teams leak potential trades to players all the time, I'd imagine the locker room would be filled with pissed off players. So in that sense, Camby shouldn't feel disrespected or anything.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

That's why the Rox should offer mle to jr smith then trade ffor josh boone and let landry walk. The nuggetts aren't going to match.

16. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

So true thats why a lot of palyers go after the money.

17. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Hell Nawwwwwwwwwwww.

jk :D

18. Bookit

Bookit Member

I can't believe people still back what Boozer did. If he wanted to leave Cleveland so bad he could have told management that he will fulfill his contract and then shop the market. Instead he got out of his contract by promising that he would sign a long term deal an then signed a deal with the Jazz in the middle of the night. The guy is the definition of a scumbag.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He should be happy. He gets to live in LA and has about the same chance of making the playoffs.

20. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Wrong. JR'll be back. Front office loves him.